Acceptable noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dulaney22, Nov 7, 2008.

1. dulaney22 macrumors member

My new macbook makes a fast clicking sound when running. It's not that loud, but is it normal. I don't recall it doing it when I first got it.

2. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Is it always there? Even while ideling not doing anything? My HDD makes that noise, it's pretty loud.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Is the sound consistent? Can you reproduce the sound? Is it the HDD making the noise? If you answered yes, to the first 2 of the questions, please start making an appointment with your local Genius Bar or call Apple Care.

If you answered no to the first 2 questions and yes to the third, then its just your normal HDD finding stuff. If the noise is really loud for HDD noise you might want to consider calling Apple or paying the Genius bar a visit also.

Noises are not normal in new MacBooks (noises besides the fans, and if you can even hear the fans that is)

4. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

To hijack the thread a bit but it might be relative, I got sounds just as he describes. And they come from the HDD, I can hear them from a good 3 meters away, only thing that makes a sound in my computer. Never heard the HDD this much even in my old MacBook while moving 20 GB of data onto it. And now it's just ideling.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok, thread hijacking comment aside, I am pointing out ways to help him decide what to do with the little information he gave. I don't recall the OP saying it was the HDD making the noise as your does.

PS - If your HDD makes noises that can be heard 3 meters away, you should really look into calling AppeCare or seeing a Genius.

6. dulaney22 thread starter macrumors member

It makes the noise all the time. It's not that bad, but it's noticeable when typing in my lap.

I don't think it's the hard drive. Sounds like its coming from right above it though.

7. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think that some HDs are just a little looser than others. Mine makes the constant sound, and just lately I haven noticed the clicking sounds when it is thinking. I think the sound is amplified by the aluminum casing (notice if you press down on the right side of your trackpad the sound becomes much less significant).
    What do we do? Do we just live with it? Has anyone called Apple Care about this?

9. dulaney22 thread starter macrumors member

Called applecare and they ran a test said no hardware was damaged. Told me to take it to a store if I wanted.

Is it most likely the hard drive? It starts whenever the book is opened. Stops while sleeping.

10. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

I hate noise mine is dead silent, take it back

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My fan noise and HDD noise is nonexistent. I can barely hear it. Maybe record it and share with us? Or just pop into the Apple Store.