Accessing OSX Partition from Vista in Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by athimmig, Jun 21, 2007.

1. athimmig macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I am a total newb at bootcamp, having just switched over from using a PC for the last 5 years.

I've got Vista Home Premium running on my new MBP-SR 2.4 but I can't seem to find a way to get to my files on the OSX partition when I boot in vista. It seems wierd because when I am in OSX, I can see the vista partition and get to the files I have stored on it.

Am I totally missing something here?

:apple:

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well, you wouldn't want to give Vista any access to the MacOS X parts, in case Vista gets some virus. With access to MacOS X, a Vista virus could destroy all your MacOS X data.

3. athimmig thread starter macrumors newbie

True, but I would like to be able to get to my MP3, documents and photos that are stored on the much larger OSX partition.

4. athimmig thread starter macrumors newbie

There isint a way to "discover" it without the use of an additional program?

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

nope, Windows doesn't know what to do with an HFS+ partition without special software like MacDrive.

6. etrosh macrumors newbie

false! no data will be destroyed by any of windows' virus... mac os x software cuoldn't understand windows language.

etrosh

7. Nohg macrumors member

Technically you are correct, but there can be data corruption if the OSX drive can be written to by MacDrive.

I've experienced it myself :/

If you only need to get simple files, I'd recommend HFS+ explorer.

Of course, should you have Snow Leopard:

8. mcesie macrumors newbie

in windows its read only, so no virus can affected hfs+ , u can read hfs+ after snow leopard been installed, and running bootcamp 3.0