Accessorize My Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacFanUK, Jul 30, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Hi,
    I will be switching from Windows to Mac next week and I am doing so with a Mac Mini 2.0GHz and upgrading the Ram to 4GB and the Hard Drive to 320GB(ish). I already have an Aluminium Apple BT Keyboard and a Dell BT Mouse but what else could I get to accessorize my Mac Mini?

I use my computer for work (I work from home) doing web development and a little video editing, etc.

Thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What are you looking for? Speakers or Stickers?

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

An external hard drive to do Time Machine backups to.;)

4. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

peripherals really (speakers/storage/backup/etc) and also software (although I konw this is a 'Hardware' thread).

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yay...my favorite:

Speakers are going to be all over the place. Price range, number of (2.0, 2.1, 5.1) and listening needs will depend on what you need...

The general recommendations are going to be some Bose product that I won't recommend and people will make jokes about. The Sound Sticks which people seem to be giving a lot of credence to these days. I'll recommend the Altec Lansing FX6021 over those, which will lead to another discussion. Then someone will recommend the Logitech Z-2300. At this point, someone will recommend that something from Wal-Mart that costs $25.00 and they will swear it that's greatest thing ever. Someone will then recommend Bose and get flamed, followed by the comment about get yourself a good set of cans (headphones), because those will always sound better. Somewhere along the way the M-Audio's will be thrown around, followed by people like me recommending a different set of pro monitors, followed by another Bose posts. A good chance there will be a discussion about the Logitech-Z5500s, which are a good choice. There are a couple of intangibles: someone might recommend the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, Creative's T40 or some other Logitech that's probably not as good as the Z-2300s. After about 20 posts or so, the general consensus will be reached by a couple of users, you should probably just go hear them for yourself, making the thread well...you can decide...

My recomendation is the Swan M10. To put these in the category of computer speakers is insulting because they are that much better. The main problem with these is that they are impossible to find, but these things are truly on a different level. They even ship with white gloves so that you don't get fingerprints on the speakers. And they are barely over $100.

Lastly, my thoughts on Bose. Audiophiles will tell you never to buy Bose. People like me, that want to be audiophiles will tell you not to buy Bose. I don't think they sound awful, but when you place the price tag next to them, then they start to sound awful. For the most part, the Bose stuff is mid-range stuff at top range prices. With that being said, if you are satisfied with your purchase, then more power to you. To say that Bose is "junk" is probably a little overstating it, because they are no worse then any of the other companies. But, to say that they are the best, is giving way too much credit. I love my 901s, but I believe that the in-ear headphones belong only in one place, the trash.

Now you of course would have known all of this if you searched, but I did all the work for you.

Speakers Discussions Are Rampant:
    A good example of my comments are found here.
    Here is one thread for $100 USD. Good Discussion.
    USB Speaker Discussion Here
    Here is another discussion
    Wireless Thread Here...although it diverged.
    2.0 DiscussionHere
    $200 Discussion Here

Hard drives are the same way, Size, Needs, Price all make-up the recommendation, If you can build your own then the rest is irrelevant. There are specific drives that are made to match the Mini.

If you are looking for a specific brand, Western Digital is sorta the brand iThink that most people first look into it, and they are fairly cheap, have a decent warranty, a lot of options, etc and would be my recommendation if you have no clue.

A couple of other notes: Firewire is not needed, but better, if you are solely backing-up say via Time Machine, it prbly is not necessary. I'd stick to a powered drive. Remember that the disk speed is important, but the cache can often hinder performance. Building your own will likely be cheaper, but some chose not to go that route.

Everyone has their own experiences, but I imagine that most of them are positive. Sure, there are these threads about how person x's drive failed and person y wouldn't buy anything but them. I own three drives that there are plenty of horror stories about.

No one would ever post: "I love my Western Digital 1TB Drive", unless someone posts a horror story about one. Companies ship tons of drives daily, not everyone will be perfect.

The best advice is to find one that has a good warranty and excellent customer service. And then avoid reading these threads so you don't lose any sleep.

Or you could be OCD, anal and paranoid like me and have two back-up drives...

These are all from the past two weeks or so
    1TB is prbly a good size to start at it, I would say most people looking for non-mobile externals start at that size, here is a recent thread about that...
    More literature found here.
    Here, is another thread on 1TB Hard Drives
    This one is about LaCie...
    Here is another, there is some more discussion about LaCie in there...
    Here is one on USB 1TB, I'd stick to Firewire...
    And if all else fails, MRoogle

6. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

@thegoldenmackid Couldn't agree more with that post. But just to prove its worth I recommend the Z-5500's haha. I personally own a pair of Z-2300's and think they sound pretty D*** good

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I should add that if you want easy redundancy, get a Drobo (see avatar).

8. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks.
    I would be interested in building my own external drive. I actually have 3 x 500GB Western Digital SATA drives lying around so that may actually be a good option.

Way out of my price range unfortunately :)

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

10. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

lol, thanks - got that one covered :)

I'll be using my 23" Samsung

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Well it looks like you mostly have everything you need. Have fun and good luck. :D