Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With a number of reports and now photos supporting the idea that Apple will be introducing a significantly smaller dock connector for its iOS devices in the coming weeks, iLounge reports that Apple's lack of advance notice is causing concern for accessory manufacturers worried that they will not be able to have new accessories ready in time for the lucrative holiday shopping season.
With only two weeks remaining before the expected debut of the next-generation iPhone, Apple has not offered third-party developers the components or engineering details necessary to build docking accessories for the new device--the first iOS product expected to ship without Apple's now-ubiquitous 30-pin Dock Connector, which will soon be replaced across all future Apple pocket and tablet devices. Noting the time required to manufacture and ship new products, the sources suggest that new iPhone-specific electronic add-ons will likely miss the upcoming holiday season, apart from whatever accessories are released by Apple itself.
nowhereelse_mini_dock_connector_1-500x457.jpg

Accessory manufacturers also remain concerned over what technical and licensing restrictions Apple will be using with the new dock connector, as well as whether new circuitry will prevent their existing product from working with Apple's next-generation products even with an adapter.

Some accessory manufacturers have apparently been working hard to try to stay ahead of the competition, with a leaked micro-USB/Apple mini dock power adapter from Scosche showing up briefly earlier this week before the company requested that the images be removed. It is unclear how Scosche has been able to source new dock connector parts if Apple has not been working with accessory manufacturers, so it is unknown whether Scosche will have the parts in sufficient quantity to launch its accessories alongside or soon after the debut of the new iPhone.

Update 11:23 AM: iLounge's Jeremy Horwitz tells us that neither Scosche nor any other accessory manufacturer has access to the actual parts. They are all simply designing product based on their best guesses from what has leaked so far.

Article Link: Accessory Manufacturers Fear Missing Holiday Sales Rush as Apple Remains Mum on New iOS Device Dock Connector

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
They'll find out in 13 days. I'm thinking 2+ months will be plenty of time for the better manufactures to produce and ship before black friday.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
About 95% of the market will still be using the old connector well into next year. I think there will be plenty of people to sell stuff to this Christmas.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Eh, so what?

Who cares? Most iPhone owners won't be buying new phones and how much more crap that we barely use does anyone really need?

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
If accessory manufacturers want to get ahead, they need to listen to this one thing:

Give me more AirPlay speakers and I won't need a dock except for my bedside.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I will be waiting for the Chinese companies to make 10 and 6 foot dock cables at $2.99 a piece. I have never and will never buy an official $19 3 foot dock cable from Apple (Except the one that comes with the iDevice). :)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I will be waiting for the Chinese companies to make 10 and 6 foot dock cables at $2.99 a piece. I have never and will never buy an official $19 3 foot dock cable (Except the one that comes with the iDevice). :)

Agreed, same thing with anything related to HDMI.

But I think some of the stuff made in those cheap factories are not even tested, like 30-foot USB cables, FireWire to USB adaptors, and USB male to USB male cables. My dad bought a 30-foot USB cable, and it didn't work until he took 10 feet out of it by cutting and soldering.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Accessory manufacturers are leaping for joy continuously over Apple's decision to change the dock connector.

They are going to have tens of millions of new customers (eventually 100s of millions).

The fact that the timing is bad for them vs. the next Christmas shopping season seems like a relatively small, shor-term problem.

If I were them I'd quit complaining and count my blessings.

Anyway, Apple isn't going to give up the competitive advantage they enjoy by not previewing their products just to make the accessory maker's lives more convenient.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
They'll find out in 13 days. I'm thinking 2+ months will be plenty of time for the better manufactures to produce and ship before black friday.

more like 2 months (maybe) since the release date will be later.

Eventhough that is not alot time to design, prototype, test and get in stores in time to give marketing a chance to push the product before black Friday.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The article refers to "accessory manufacturers" as-if its a single entity. Of course it's not, and their are even tiers of quality companies, just like every other business category.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Apple has licensed a select few companies and they are remaining mum...or trying.

At any rate, but-for a new connector I doubt people would be buying new accessories this season just to replace old ones for the heck of it so if they don't have product ready for XMas they'll have it early next year in time for most 2013 birthdays, easter, tax refund, or whatever other buying reason day you like. It's not like the manufacturers are going to 100% lose out. It's a net win overall. They shouldn't grouse.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If accessory manufacturers want to get ahead, they need to listen to this one thing:

Give me more AirPlay speakers and I won't need a dock except for my bedside.

I would add one thing to that: Cheaper airplay speakers.

Current Airplay speakers attract quite a high price.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Isn't the USB spec limited to 5 meters?

Probably but still proves his point that cheap Chinese manufactures build and ship without doing any quality control.

My 99 cent with free shipping micro usb cable stopped working after a few months but the name brand I got to replace it hasn't had a hiccup.

soundguyami

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Thats why you manufacturer in China...they can retool a production line 60 times faster than American unions.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Anyway, Apple isn't going to give up the competitive advantage they enjoy by not previewing their products just to make the accessory maker's lives more convenient.

Exactly. Plus, with the avalanche of leaks we've had recently, I can see why Apple are reluctant to divulge specs of upcoming products until the last possible moment -- even if the company does sign an NDA.

RTP.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Apple gets a pretty nice cut of the profits on all "Made for (Insert Apple Product Here)" while I get holding back on case designs accessories that retail for $100+ will add to Apple's bottom line so it seems petty and typical of Apple to freeze out their authorized 3rd party suppliers (and why we don't have microUSB). Apple intends to control the holiday season front to back, cables, cases, and accessories and make 100% of the profits.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
boo hoo accessory manufacturers. 95% of 3rd party accessories are crap anyway. there are a handful of companies that actually make quality stuff and stand behind it. I do hope that they get some of the first stuff out there but half of the junk that's put out is just that... junk.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Isn't the USB spec limited to 5 meters?

Hmm, I might be wrong about that. Maybe it was 20 feet, and he took out 10 feet. I remember 30 though.

----------

Thats why you manufacturer in China...they can retool a production line 60 times faster than American unions.

I just bought 4 USB wall chargers and 4 Dock Connector to USB adaptors from a Chinese seller on eBay for $9.56 (free shipping) :D:D:D:D

Normally, I avoid Chinese knockoffs because they steal (patented) ideas, but Apple sells Dock Connector to USB adaptors and DC power adaptors for MacBooks at ridiculous prices.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Um, I think EVERYBODY is missing the truth here (the accessory makers, MacRumors, the forum people, everybody). The truth is that Apple will be coming out with a 30-pin to 9-pin ADAPTER that makes old accessories work with the new 9-pin connector. NOBODY will be left hanging at all this holiday season. Not customers, not accessory makers, nobody.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.