Accidentally broke my rMBP LCD :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by walkie, May 16, 2013.

1. walkie, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013

walkie macrumors 6502

Hi all, today I was working on my rMBP, I wanted to take a photo of the screen and got my iPad with one hand, after several tries I finally managed to get a sharp photo and BOOM! The iPad dropped! = my hand was sweaty the iPad slipped and dropped right onto the keyboard, BUT before it landed on the keyboard the iPad hit the screen! :-(, as a result the screen started to flick and vertical lines appeared on the right side, I'm making a backup right now, I've been keeping this rMBP since February and now I will have to get it fixed at the Genius Bar, I don't know if the first year warranty covers accidentally broken LCD, any of you have experienced something similar before?, how much do you think I will have to pay for this repair?

Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

wow, that is painfully comical in a sense. this is not a warranty issue, but maybe someone will feel sorry for you at the genius bar. i guessing that screen is a pretty penny.

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

The whole lid is going to have to be replaced, as it's a single unit. :eek:

4. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

I read another similar thread and someone said Apple would charge $700 including labour for a rMBP screen, I live in Europe so the cost would be €700 or even a bit more...

5. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Yeah that price quote is about right, that display is crazy expensive.

Do you have any alternatives in getting it covered? Credit card coverage, home owner insurance, etc.

6. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately not, but I'd consider on getting one insurance after this :eek:.

7. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

There really needs to be a tech support Darwin Award for things like this.

8. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not prone to break things, this is my second stupidly-broken gadget in my whole life, my first one was my Sony pocket camera, it fell down in the garage next to my car and then I ran over it, same result: camera was fine but screen was broken, maybe they should make stronger panels :-/

9. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

I made an appointment with the Genius Bar for tomorrow, I still don't know how much they will charge, they said the warranty doesn't cover accidentally damage, the person on the phone told me they'll tell me the repair cost tomorrow at the store.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Warranty does not cover accidental damage. The point of impact is clearly visible, so no cheating also. Be upfront with the Geniuses, they can offer discounted repairs if they feel it is appropriate.

Now, the sad part aside, I had to chuckle a bit when I read the OP. Somehow it is the gadget version of "I dropped my Rolex on my Ferrari and scratched the hood."

iPads are no good for taking photos. The camera might be decent, but it is hard to hold it in a way you would hold a camera to get a decent picture. Apart from how weird it looks in public ;)

11. maxosx macrumors 68020

Remember people, especially those being critical... It's called an "Accident" and can happen to any one at anytime.

I don't care how careful you are, these things happen.

It's easy to say what the OP should have done after the fact. But once you've had a similar experience, then & only then will you understand.

----------

Agreed.

Why the great majority are so obsessed with having a camera on the front & rear of every iDevice is very revealing...

12. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

for the record, i wasn't being critical in anyway. stuff happens. i do feel bad for the OP, but it did make me chuckle a bit. good luck on hopefully getting a reasonable estimate.

13. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

this!, :D

The most funny thing is that I rarely use my iPad to take photos, this one has been the most expensive shot ever for me!, this just happens when I was planning to buy my first smartphone with a decent camera, now I have to use the money to fix this mess :-S.

14. simsaladimbamba

15. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

I just wanted to take a photo of my desk with my rMBP on top with me sitting in front of it to show it to a friend of mine since he's interested on buying the same desk, I raised the iPad with one hand to focus the scene, it slipped from my hand and landed on my open MacBook hitting the screen.

16. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

Fortunately I also have an iMac and can get by until my rMBP is fixed,

Thanks to all for reading my thread that has being a "catharsis" for me after this sad event, I'll be posting back as soon as I have news about it,

Learn from me and remember not to do stupid things with your pricy gadgets around.

and sorry for my bad English since I'm not native speaker.

17. simsaladimbamba

Your English is more than fine, and as far as I have gathered better than of many native English speakers.

18. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

My rMBP screen was replaced by Apple. It cost them $600+ to replace. So I'm guessing somewhere around there.

19. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

20. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

His desk, not the desktop - slick

21. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

And it's Shift + Command + 3 - slick

22. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

If you bought this with a credit card, check with your CC company if they have insurance on your purchases. All Signature Visa cards have that, and some platinum Mastercards too. Discover and AMEX also offer this kind of service.

23. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi all again!, my rMBP is back from the Genius Bar! I'm writing right now from it

well, this repair was for free!!! :D, today I went to my Genius Bar appointment and told the technician the truth, I explained to him that I was not sure wether the iPad hit directly the screen or the crack was due to the vibration produced as the iPad landed on the keyboard, I asked him to check the keyboard as well but he told me not to worry about it because the rMBP's keyboard was strong enough, then we agreed the iPad had first hit the screen and then landed on the keyboard, I asked him about the cost and he said it would cost €600 including labour, he asked if I had any insurance I said not, fortunately they had a screen on the storage so the repair will take few hours and in the worst case within 24-48 hrs.

I went back home, then 2 hours later the technician calls and says my rMBP is ready!, but they had considered to make an exception in my case and the warranty would cover the repair!!!

When I went back to the store again to pick up my rMBP I thanked the technician for the prompt repair and asked him about why they had considered to cover the repair with the warranty, he told that his chief and the rest of the technicians were looking for visible signs of dents on the screen and the laptop's body and they didn't find any!, so they decided to cover this repair by the warranty :cool:, I don't know if in this case I was lucky but the I'm more than satisfied with Apple's costumers service!

24. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Great service. Being honest and upfront is always the best!

25. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

I reprogrammed it slick, my bad.