Accidentally created empty space on home screen.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s8film40, Aug 15, 2008.

1. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I thought this was an interesting glitch, I was installing the "Scan Life" application on my iPhone (the app was a waste of time by the way, didn't work), and it started to load the application. It never really downloaded it, it sat there saying loading. So after a few moments of waiting I decided to try to restart the download. it added a second scanlife icon next to the previous one and began loading and installing, when it was done the original one I had started installing disappeared and was replaced by movable blank space. I started playing with it and found that I could move it by moving other icons around it. I then decided to see how to get rid of it so I reset the phone it was still there, the only way I found to remove it was to delete and reinstall the application.

Attached Files:

2. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Mine did that when updating Sudoku Daily. Two Icons appeared, then the leftmost disappeared and I could move the blank space, but it soon disappeared when the full page filled with apps.

I would actually really like to be able to do this, as part of the OS.

TEG

4. profetto macrumors regular

Thats awesome!

I wish the OS did allow for this, I think it would help in organization of all the apps.

5. umdjb macrumors regular

6. profetto macrumors regular

It's an application avaible in the app store, I have it on my phone too.

7. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

I downloaded from the App Store, it's completely useless I'll probably delete it soon.

8. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i just checked for it to and couldn't find anything.
    what's it do?

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Does anyone know how to "force" this to happen? I tried d/ling the app mentioned by the OP, then switched off WiFi and 3G to try and get it to stall...no dice. any suggestions? I'd LOVE to have my first screen blank (but then will probably be wanting wallpaper behind it :)).

10. umdjb macrumors regular

I can't find it on the store. Is this on the app store in the U.S.?

11. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

My best guess would be that my internet connection may have caused it to happen. I have been having problems with my ISP. The application appeared on the phone and the space where the bar shows the download status never started to load, so it would seem the App got stuck in the download not the install. I'll have to see if I can do it again.

12. profetto macrumors regular

Weird, its not showing up anymore, only the full version of Teleport. I downloaded it a few days ago, it was a free lite version.

It really does suck though, all you can do is connect and move the mouse pointer around.

13. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

They probably took it down since it had really bad reviews, it was probably hurting their paid versions sales.

14. GNice macrumors 6502

Yea...people were ripping it left and right. Especially since he was originally charging .99 cents for it. Now obviously that's a super cheap price, but you couldn't do anything really useful with it so people just ripped it apart. Maybe he will replace it with something that at least has some tangible benefit or gives people a good sense of the "usage" of the app.

The full version seems pretty impressive by most reviews (with the latest release), but it's rather pricey. Having said that if you really need it and can make great use of it $25 bucks doesn't seem that bad IMHO.

I think he could sell a lot more of them and ultimately make more in the long run with a better price point, but what do I know. :rolleyes:

BTW, to the OP...that is REALLY odd. I wish I could do that on demand. Not exactly sure what benefit I would derive, but wouldn't hurt to be able to arrange with space.

15. profetto macrumors regular

If it was lowered to $9.99 sales would probably go through the roof and make more money in long run for sure.

I know me I'm not buying because $25 is not worth it for me, I would only use it for fun.

16. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Same thing happened to me. It was an update to touch reflex (crap app by the way, now deleted) and the update failed. Then dissapeared, then updated again, this time making a new icon.

Basically to fix it I unistalled the program altogether, then reinstalled it. The springboard then just did its thing and sorted itself. :)

photo.jpg

17. apheonixboy macrumors member

apheonixboy

Theres an application on Cydia

I downoaded an application on cydia to hid icons.... forgot what its called, but heres a pic I took a few days ago of it. My phones in the other room and turned off.

[​IMG]

18. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

What is that skin you have installed? Why would you want your iPhone to look so ugly and chaotic and PCish like that??? Why don't you just go buy some ugly interfaced clunky iPhone wanna be if your just gunna make your iPhone look like them anyway? :confused:

19. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Beats me as well why you would want to skin your iPhone like Windows Vista, but different strokes for different folks I suppose. Certainly not my thing, thats for sure!!

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

I want to theme my phone, but after reading some horror stories of people getting screwed when jailbreaking, I am reluctant to try it.

21. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

I guess, so, but it is beyond me why people would want these ugly, poorly designed skins when they have the best designers in the world making the actual interface for which the iPhone is so revolutionary, and beautiful, and easy to use to begin with lol. :rolleyes:

I look at that Vista skin and it basically ruins everything the iPhone accomplished and looks like every other crap phone that was devised before the iPhone changed the industry forever. I know for sure that if that was the way Apple introduced it, it would have failed miserably as a product. That I'm sure is how the Zune phone will look lol.

Ok I've said enough. If you want to do that to your phone, whatever lol. It just rubs me the wrong way because its like a five year old got ahold of some crayons and colored all over the Mona Lisa!

22. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Is is just me or is every single skin / theme thing on the jailbroken phones really really UGLY? I can't imagine ever wanting to change from the default...

Ed

23. GNice macrumors 6502

Every single one is too strong...there are thousands of themes many of which are quite nice. Adds some cool customizations without the over the top, "loud" stuff many have. There are monochrome themes that are really subtle.

All I'm saying is the range of themes is actually quite broad when you start searching for what's out there.

24. slicecom macrumors 68020

No, it's not just you. Don't forget that many iPhone owners don't own any other Apple products and have used PC's their whole life. Perhaps some people like the ugly, poorly designed, cluttered look of windows, beats me. If I were to jailbreak, I would use it to get rid of some stock apps (youtube, stocks) and install some programs that can run in the background, but I would never touch the icons or background as they're flawless as is.

25. amro macrumors 6502

You guys are being pretty nasty. He was showing what could be done, and all you do is insult his taste. Not very "Apple" like.

Different strokes for different folks. And if, as you claim, he is trying to put a Vista theme on there, remember this, a lot of people think Vista was stealing some of the look from Mac. So the end result is, you're insulting Apple.

By the way, the mail, safari and ipod icons look pretty darn good.