Accidentally deleted - can I get it back from Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siam, Dec 28, 2008.

1. siam macrumors regular

I have accidentally deleted part of an application , and it will now not work correctly . Ive now removed the remaining parts of this application to Trash, I have a full system backup stored on an external HDD ( using SuperDuper ) , is there any way I can now retrieve only the lost application stored on my external HDD , and fully re install it on my Mac , just the deleted application only :(

Thanks

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you plug in the external drive, your application should be on it. Plug in the drive. In the Finder, it should be shown under "Devices", and when you click on it, one of the top level folders should be "Applications" and that is most likely where your application would be. Just move it from the application folder on the backup drive to the application folder on your computer.

3. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply , just thinking back to the application I deleted , it looked as if there were many '' sub '' files in different places, ( dmg-file , installer -file, etc ) if I find the deleted application on the external HDD , would just moving say the dmg file to the application folder on my computer , be the right thing to do .?

Thanks

4. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Ive now booted up from my external HDD, and found the application dmg , now how do I get this dmg from my external HDD to my 'internal HDD , so I can then launch the application in a normal boot up , any ideas please ?

5. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Drag & drop it to your desktop. Then install it.

6. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply , Well this is what Ive just done

1. booted my Mac up from the external HDD

2. found the dmg file

3. moved the dmg file onto the desk top

4. shut down

5. re booted from the normal Mac system

6. the dmg file I moved onto the the desk top is not there

any Ideas what I am doing wrong ? :(

Thanks

7. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

1. Boot Mac normally.

2. Plug in external HD.

3. Drag & drop .dmg to desktop.

4. Double click .dmg to install.

Job done.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

eluk is right- just do it as it was described.

What went wrong when you did it your last way (just so you know for future reference) is that you booted from your external and dragged it to the desktop-- but you were dragging it to the desktop of your external so it wasn't showing on the desktop of your internal drive which showed when you rebooted. Keep in mind that there is a unique desktop for each bootable drive (which is stored as "/Users/your user name/Desktop" on each bootable drive).

So to put it another way-
    ExternalDrive/Users/your user name/Desktop
    is not the same as
    InternalDrive/Users/your user name/Desktop

9. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guy's , as some one who is still learning , this just shows what this forum is all about, great advice and good
    guidance , so Thanks and now my application is back where it should have stayed , and I've learnt even more now .

siam . :)