Accidentally Deleted Dashboard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by midnightz, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midnightz macrumors newbie

Long story short I accidentally deleted my dashboard from the applications folder and emptied the trash. I don't have the original restoration disks so I was hoping that someone could host the file for me. Any help would be much appreciated :]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

take it to an Apple Store. You still have dashboard, it's just not in the apps folder. (The dashboard in the apps folder isn't actually dashboard, dashboard is part of the dock).

4. midnightz thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't have the original install disk like I said. Taking it to the apple store would just be time consuming I just need someone to host the file from the application folder.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can call Apple and have them send replacement disks.

6. midnightz thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't think so considering my mac isn't under warranty anymore.

7. Neotyguy40 macrumors regular

1. Can't go to the Apple store
    2. Don't have the install disk
    3. Specifically asking for someone to host it

Conclusion?

Looks like somebody likes pirate bay...

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

They will send you replacement discs but you have to pay the shipping. It may be your best bet to go to the Apple store and have them reinstall OS X and get your Dashboard working again. Asking people to post a file for you is sort of asking for trouble. You have to basically trust that someone will give you a file that's safe. Also, others are not going to say it out loud but I will, when a poster says they lost their discs and is asking for people to send them files in a slight desperate attempt it makes the poster look suspect. Good luck to you.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Their very first post in this forum.

... or possibly not their Mac.

10. midnightz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I'm just going to outright and say that my Mac OSX isn't pirated nor was the system itself stolen for those that are implying so. I will order the CD's but I honestly don't want to restore my ENTIRE system so I can have the dashboard again when I can live without it for now. I came to these forums so I could seek help, not be accused of stealing.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Jesus. You guys are accusing someone of stealing already, just because they want a dashboard file hosted?

OP, I'll PM you and zip the damn file over. Sorry for the rudeness of some forum members.

woops jk, can't PM newbies.

just download it from here

_here_

12. Neotyguy40 macrumors regular

Sorry! It's just when someone asks for something like that, but says that they can't do any other option, it sounds suspicious. Especially when it's their first post.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah, because asking for a Dashboard launching app is very suspicious...

No wonder people hate Mac users, they're on such high horses with big bugs in their bums.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

OP, once you download that file would you mind saying so, so I can delete it from my server?

Everyone else, would you mind apologizing to the OP, and to everyone else for giving Mac users a bad name?

15. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Sorry but I agree with those who find it fishy... no apology forthcoming.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You find someone asking for an AppleScript that launches dashboard suspicious? What is wrong with you people?

17. midnightz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Tuff for the download, you can delete it now. I really do appreciate it, since it would have taken longer than a few weeks in addition to reinstalling from the disc if someone hadn't posted the file.

18. LoganT macrumors 68020

I just wanted to quote this for truth.

19. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

ok here's the application:

activate application "Dashboard"

end of script, just save that as a .script and it launches dashboard

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Since it was no inconvenience for me I just uploaded the script app that came with the OS. And it comes with a pretty icon!

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I seriously can't see how people think this is some sort of piracy attempt.

People who pirate software aren't going to care about something as small as this not working.

It's a bit weird that you can delete it in the first place though IMO.

22. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

If he downloaded it then he would obviously have the install disc, how else are you supposed to install it?

He would have known that he could get another install disc that way as well.

23. LoganT macrumors 68020

You also have to realize he may have a 24 inch iMac or any other iMac? Do you really think it makes sense to lug that monstrosity to an Apple store because you deleted Dashboard? Think for a second...

24. creon macrumors 6502

Two sides to every coin.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it has been my experience that most people are usually in the wrong.

I'm in no way accusing the OP of being a pirate, yet he should understand why those who have accused him as one. We are here to give advice and help but if that means helping someone who is doing wrong then we, as members, have every right to refuse and question the activity in the thread.

25. Neotyguy40 macrumors regular

Guys, it isn't the app specifically. It's the idea of the entire thing...

If someone gets OS X illegally (and then deletes an application), then they would most likely have problems unless they knew the OS very well...

If someone gets OS X legally (and then deletes an application), then they would most likely be able to fix it unless they didn't know anything about the OS.

Now I apologize if I am wrong, but I don't take kindly to people who use illegal downloads. And Apple trusts their customers enough to not need any DRM, I don't want anyone to put that into risk...

If someone came up to you and said, "I need you to upload your 10.6 disk. I lost mine, and accidentally deleted my entire hard drive. I don't want to go to the Apple Store because it's not very convenient."

Would you help them? Especially if you met them online and know nothing about them?

If someone asked that, I would say the exact same thing as I said before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.