Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cruzgomez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2022
Can someone help me step by step how to recover it or do I have to take it to an Apple Store please someone help me

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Can someone help me step by step how to recover it or do I have to take it to an Apple Store please someone help me
I'm not sure how it's possible to accidentally erased your entire drive but you could try recovery mode. Of course you're not getting files or data back unless you have them backed up. You didn't say what model Mac you had though.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

Cruzgomez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2022
I'm not sure how it's possible to accidentally erased your entire drive but you could try recovery mode. Of course you're not getting files or data back unless you have them backed up. You didn't say what model Mac you had though.

It’s a MacBook Pro 13 and how do I do the recovery mode ?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
do I have to take it to an Apple Store
This might be your best bet. It's hard sometimes to communicate with text versus someone physically showing you something. This is made much worse if you don't have a basic understanding of what they're trying to explain to you.

It's not going to hurt for you to try some steps but the most frustration free route might be the Apple store. If you have an Intel Mac, that means it was made before the Apple silicon transition you could look at the link I first posted. If you don't know what an Intel Mac is or what Intel even means I really suggest you go to the Apple store. Not everyone is a tech nerd and that's perfectly fine.

Cruzgomez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2022
Im not sure what happen I was doing some college hw and my screen went bright pink and then took me to the the four icons thing
I was on the phone with apple and they where the ones that told me that I didn’t have the disk anymore? And I’m trying to fix it cause I don’t have the money to but thank russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I was on the phone with apple and they where the ones that told me that I didn’t have the disk anymore? And I’m trying to fix it cause I don’t have the money to but thank russell_314
If it's an older MacBook then the link I posted would have instructions to recover it. The problem is that might that fix it. I'm not sure what you mean by I don't have the disc anymore. Maybe they mean your hard drive physically failed.

Here's the link on how to recover it. It's worth a shot. Even if it doesn't work at least you tried.

Scroll down to "Start up your Intel-based Mac in macOS Recovery"

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
Do you have an Apple store near you? It sounds like your drive has failed. The rest of the computer could possibly be okay, but the drive would need to be replaced. You can try reinstalling macOS with the method russell_314 posted. It will reinstall macOS while leaving your current files alone. But that all depends on how damaged the drive is.

Cruzgomez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2022
If it's an older MacBook then the link I posted would have instructions to recover it. The problem is that might that fix it. I'm not sure what you mean by I don't have the disc anymore. Maybe they mean your hard drive physically failed.

Here's the link on how to recover it. It's worth a shot. Even if it doesn't work at least you tried.

Scroll down to "Start up your Intel-based Mac in macOS Recovery"

It’s a m1 2020 so idk

Cruzgomez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2022
Do you have an Apple store near you? It sounds like your drive has failed. The rest of the computer could possibly be okay, but the drive would need to be replaced. You can try reinstalling macOS with the method russell_314 posted. It will reinstall macOS while leaving your current files alone. But that all depends on how damaged the drive is.
The closest Apple Store is about 5 hrs including traffic and I don’t have a car. idk how or I would upload a photo of the screen of my MacBook

Cruzgomez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2022
What they told me is that my Macintosh hd is not there and something about software

Attachments

• 2EAC25F2-CB2A-4818-823F-BD2B4A62BD57.jpeg
    2EAC25F2-CB2A-4818-823F-BD2B4A62BD57.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 186

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
Quit Disk Utility and go back to the menu that gives you the option to reinstall macOS. Select that option and let it run until it's finished. Is that option available to you?

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
Yes. Select that disk and click Continue and let it reinstall the OS. It does look like it's missing your files though based on the total available storage. You may have lost all your files, but this will restore your computer. This may be what Apple was saying about your disk missing.

You may have lost all your files. Was there anything on there that wasn't backed up or extremely important?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.