Accidentally pre-ordered 2 iPhone 4's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kontayjus, Feb 6, 2011.

1. kontayjus macrumors newbie

So I "accidentally" ordered 2 Verizon iPhones. I first pre-ordered on Verizon's website. I didn't get a confirmation email right away (took 2+ hours) so I got nervous, especially since I heard the servers were crashing and that my friend wasn't able to order it at all on their website. Then I decided to pre-order through Apple's online store and was succcessful and got a confirmation email from them right away. Literally ONE minute after, I got the confirmation email from Verizon. I guess Verizon didn't catch this because both shipments have already shipped. But anyway, do you guys think I would even be able to activate the 2nd iPhone? Thinking of selling it to a friend or something.

2. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

You can do the right thing and send one back. Or you can basically steal and keep it and sell it to make some money. Whichever you prefer. I know this happened during the iPhone 4 launch in June. But be careful, if the system caught on to this they would most likely bill the credit card you used full price for one of them.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You'll probably have to sell or return one. I doubt you can activate it under the same # on VZW and why would you? Next time don't be so psychotic about things.

4. Geffen macrumors 6502

You may want to check your credit card before selling or activating the 2nd iphone you were probably charged for the second iphone already. I would just return it back to an Apple store or Verizon store if you were charged so they can credit you back.

5. possumwater macrumors regular

possumwater

Agreed...

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

+1 ... that's how it works ... you will be charged for both.

7. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

A similar thing happened to me, only later that day, when I got TWO confirmations I called and cancelled the duplicate order. The customer service rep said that it was likely not only I would have been CHARGED for the duplicate order but maybe for the non-subsidized price, since I can't use an upgrade twice.

But I assume you checked your billing method to see if it was charged?

8. kontayjus thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I got charged for both, but I got charged the 2yr contract price for each order.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

OP, were you charged 2 upgrade prices or 1 upgrade and 1 full retail? If you were only charged 2 upgrade prices, I can understand the temptation to resell the 2nd one.

10. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

so each phone has a 2yr contract attached to it I guess.

11. kontayjus thread starter macrumors newbie

I got charged 2 upgrade prices. So each one was ~$250 ($199 +tax).

12. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Then, you payed for the phone, the choice is yours. They can't BOTH have new 2-year contracts unless you have two numbers. In other words you can attach one to your contract, and do what you like with the second.

It CAN be activated for another Verizon customer if you would like. I am told each phone will have information on how to switch phone numbers around, it isn't difficult from what I've been told. (I have to do phone number switching on one of the two I ordered)

Perhaps you should decide once you actually have two phones to decide about?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

With CDMA is a little more tricky than GSM phones cause CDMA can be blocked by the carrier if everything is not right on your account.
    Not sure if both would need to be activated before they can be used or how Verizon does their CDMA phone provisions.
    You might be stuck with an unusable 2nd iphone 4.
    But give it a shot and see how it goes. Make sure they dont then charge your card any additional charges for full price purchase or something like that.

14. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Crazy. I guess to be safe, day 1 activate 1st use it, day 2 activate 2nd use it, day 3 re-activate 1st and then 2nd one is good to sell?

No clue, let us know how it goes.

15. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

What will probably happen is once you activate it, and it kills your contract status the other one will not be able to register on-contract and you'll get a phone call from someone on Verizon's end (most likely).

16. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

They'll likely charge you the retail for the second. Don't open one unless you feel like paying a restocking fee. It would suck if they end up blacklisting one of the phones but it'll probably happen.

17. Geffen macrumors 6502

Even though you were charged $199.00 for the second iphone once they get caught up i wouldn't be surprised if they did some type of adjustment to charge you the full retail since you can't do 2 upgrades on the same phone line.

18. Mellenka macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm in the exact same situation. My husband and I are on the family plan with Verizon, he is eligible for the "new every two" upgrade, I'm not.. He preordered his Iphone from Verizon website, didn't get the conf #, freaked out and ordered again from apple...Eventually, both orders went through..he got his yesterday, activated it...Then today the second Iphone arrived. I wouldn't mind having it but am afraid to activate it--are they going to charge additional $$? (so far, the card's only been charged ~$250 for each one.
    Any advice?

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Eventually, yes. They'll know that the phone on your account was a subsidized phone and charge you the difference (if they allow you to activate it at all. It may also be tied to your husbands #). How long will it take them to catch on? Not sure. But they will. They're big business; they don't leave money on the table.

20. Geffen macrumors 6502

I agree with the previous poster, you'll most likely get charged $649.00 for that second iphone if i were you i wouldn't take it out of the shrink wrap plastic and just visit an Apple or Verizon store and explain the situation and see how much they'll charge you if you want to activate it on a different line since your on the family plan or just return to to have your account credited back once you do get charged.

21. Kpfinky macrumors newbie

I am almost in the exact situation (I will spare you the details on how this happened). Ultimatley, I tried to order the verizon Iphone for my girlfriend, it seemed as it didn't go through, so I cancelled the order and just put her on my ATT plan and bought her that Iphone. Low and behold, a verizon Iphone shows up at my door monday (yes they DID charge my card for the phone).

I was going to just return it, but then tried craigslist and got offered $750 for it. So my plan is to just eat the $350 termination fee and the $160 i paid for the phone and walk away with a $240 profit.

My question is, I havent even opened the box. Her line is still active, but do I have to activate the phone first, then terminate her contract to make the phone capable of being activated by its new user? I know CDMA phones are goofy.

22. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Wow this must be a common thing because the same thing happened to me. Anyone call verizon to find out?

23. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Same here, it may take them time, but Apple's systems will reconcile with Verizon's and you'll get a call from one of them to either return said phones or pay full retail (if your duplicates were also upgrade pricing).

This written, the duplicate phones cause all sorts of havoc in the systems. I've spent about 10 hours with both customer service fronts this week to straighten it out.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

they may just let you keep the other phone at the reduced price ... it is bad business to come after Clients for their own mistakes.

good luck

25. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Any update on this? I still am holding onto my phone to see what happens.