I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake!!! I just purchased a used MacBook Pro 13" 2010 and wanted a larger HDD. Broke it 30 minutes after I first got it!!! I'm not completely new to repairs but I was in a hurry and picked up a metal tool to remove the battery connector (before replacing HDD) and shorted the soldering leads on the board for the connecter... The MacBookPro7,1 turned on and booted but VERY SLOW and kernal takes up 198% cpu usage and causes an unusable computer. In another forum I learned how to fix the kernal issue by moving a .kext file and that did work. The Fan is at high speed all the time and the battery is not detected at all. The battery was 100% so i can still do various tests as needed. I am not able to boot on battery but I can boot with power plugged in. The power light is green on the power adapter but I have an 'X' on the battery icon... I have been kicking myself for hours now and after spending all night reading through forums I've decided to just ask how to trace the problem to the broken component. I have tried the SMC reset and when I power on after the reset it says date is wrong... so i figure the reset worked. I checked the fuse next to the battery connector and I get about 12 volts on both sides.