Accidently pulled key off Aluminum Macbook Keyboard!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GUILTIE, Nov 10, 2008.

1. GUILTIE macrumors regular

Yeah, i feel pretty stupid for this.. Well i read somewhere that someone fixed their crooked keys just by pushing the keys straight. Well I did, and the escape key accidently popped off. I was wondering if anyone would know how exactly to reattach it. It doesn't seem difficult, I'd just like to avoid doing any more damage. I can post pic if necessary but I think someone will just be able to explain it if they've done it before.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Please post pic, we don't want to recommend something and cause more damage.

3. Gene Parmesan macrumors newbie

Wow, your Escape key Escaped your keyboard!

Here's a link that might* prove useful, unless the new MacBook keybaords are different:
    http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Keys---Individual-Key-Keycap-p-16959.html

There's a "Key Installation" instruction pdf on that page.

Good Luck!

p.s. a pic would be cool for the irony

4. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

The only thing I'm worried about are the pins circled in red. The upper one if pushed more flat to the computer while the other pin is vertical.

Attached Files:

5. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the site, although it's for MBP keys not chiclet. :( It seems to be similar, but they make it sound like the Scissors are easy to remove from the Key itself. On my tiny Escape key-it's pretty stuck on there!

6. rmc4139 macrumors newbie

Yikes, that looks similar to my HP notebook. I had a function key come off and I never could get it back on. The key had a swing-down bar thing, and the board had the three prongs as picture on the MB keyboard.

7. Gene Parmesan macrumors newbie

Well obviously if you're going to attempt to put it back on, you have to start and try to attach it on one side and then do the other.
    The logical one to start with here would be the one on the right since it's only one pin vs. the two that are to the left.

I'd try attaching the right (carefully), and then attach it onto one of the pins on the right and then finally press it down onto the other (carefully).

If all fails, I don't think that your nearest Apple repair center would turn you away for saying "The Escape key popped out, I attempted to pop it back in but it wouldn't stick".

So as for attempting to reattach:
    Right side single pin; The top pin on the left, followed by the bottom pin on the left. It might help to use a plastic tweezers if fingers are too obtrusive for handlignt he key.

The above is what I'd attempt, so go at it on your own risk.

8. youssefm macrumors 6502

a couple of minutes ago my f4 key popped off when i was trying to adjust it =D

to fix it just keep trying to pop it back in and keep pressing the button until it clicks in, worked for me

9. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

Was the scissors mechanism still attached to the key?

10. Greystorm macrumors member

I had the same thing happen. It's really easy to get the key back on. Just whack it on and press, it will click into place and be good as new.

11. superspud macrumors regular

this happened to me with my macbook only i was cleaning my keyboard with a cloth and a several keys popped off... i took it to the apple store, told them what i was doing and they replaced them no questions asked.... (they told me to be more gentle next time)

just go to apple, they are pretty cool about it

12. Greystorm macrumors member

I've got a HP machine in front of me at the moment and just for the hell of it I pulled the F12 key off and stuck it back on. It seems to have a very similar mechanism.

I literally just placed the key over the clips and pushed down. It clicked on no problems.

13. Jake381 macrumors member

They have been using this key mechanism for a very long time. I have always just pressed down on the key when it is in place, wiggled it around a bit, and it has clicked back in.

Don't hammer the thing in, but press fairly solidly.
    Otherwise, take it to the store. Then if it screws it up, they owe you :)

14. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i think i will have to take it in to the Store. It won't click in no matter what I try so I'll head to the Store ASAP. :(

15. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

bring it to the apple store, they have tools for this. call to make sure they are not busy, because it requires them to pull a genius aside for 2 minutes.

16. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Or just make an appointment, it's what they're there for.