iPhone X According to the WPC website, the iPhone X is not Qi Certified.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knightcastle, Dec 9, 2017.

1. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

OP: Do keep us informed. You can periodically check the WPC website and either A) keep telling us it isn't certified until it is or B) tell us when it is. I'd prefer option B.

2. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Let him go, he is on a roll...

3. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

4. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

As of yesterday all 2018 models have been added to the database. including all three models of the iPhone X

5. A_Flying_Panda macrumors member

so what? does anyone really care if an iPhone is "qi certified"? it's more important for qi enabled devices to be 'apple certified'

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

These people would rather have a conspiracy!:rolleyes:

7. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

After reading @Knightcastle 's reddit manifesto I got the impression it was very important to them. However they have deemed this new revelation unimportant and not worth acknowledgement. Seeing as they recently logged on without comment...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2018 ---
    Perhaps. I'm glad that my iPhone X is Qi certified but I still have limited options when it comes to fast charging.
    The official ones are many times more expansive than the generic ones.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If you want fast charging use the cable.

9. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

[​IMG]

Apple put these coils in the X and we want them out! They must be for another purpose. Maybe they are coiling our brains and stealing our DNA?

10. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

11. macTW Suspended

12. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Happen to remember the release date? That’s a pretty good theory. Maybe it had to do with the fast charging update and Apple was avoiding recertification?

Mods belay request. Still open for discussion.

13. Knightcastle thread starter macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

Hi.

I log on to read the news and often neglect the forums. As I’m on mobile I don’t see that I’ve got MR notifications and hadn’t seen these posts until now. I had replied to someone on Reddit who also pointed it out.

I’ve always said it’s likely an oversight and likely to be rectified and sure enough it has been. I’m glad. I think it’s important that you adhere to the standards that you hold others accountable to.

I would be interested to know why there was a delay but I’m sure it’s merely administrative and that most would find it boring.

14. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

He's alive!

Likely just a delay. There was also an announcement at CES about Powermat adopting the Qi standard. Perhaps they were waiting to make this announcement before certifying any new products?

What I want to know is why all 7.5 Qi chargers are not equal. If they are certified... any Qi certified charger should work with Qi certified phones. But that doesn't seem to be the case with fast charging.

15. Knightcastle thread starter macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

I was under the impression that all 7.5W chargers were created equal and if you paired up a 7.5W transmitter with a 7.5W receiver you would receive fast charging with nothing else required.

Interestingly I notice on the WPC website they list the iPhone 8 & iPhone X as being able to receive only 5W of power, and I can’t find a “fast charger” on their site that does (in their eyes) offer 7.5W of power - not sure what that’s all about.