Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merc-tt

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2015
I was a phone addict back in the day. I would have the latest flip phone or the first flip phone with a camera... After about 20 phones later and a lot of wasted a lot of money, I bought my first iPhone 3gs and have only had two other phones since; an iPhone 4s and now a 6 plus. Hands down best phones ever. Didn't need to try anything different again.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
so you sold your phone for 6-7000usd?

I sold many of them. I lived in San Luis Obispo, walking distance from an Apple Store. I was picking up an iPhone or two a day, for a while. Easy $200 (profit) on eBay per unit. Also easy sale to tmobile customers. In those days all you had was edge on any phone anyway!

Last edited:

EOB

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2014
Los Angeles
I sold many of them. I lived in San Luis Obispo, walking distance from an Apple Store. I was picking up an iPhone or two a day, for a while. Easy $200 (profit) on eBay per unit. Also easy sale to tmobile customers. In those days all you had was edge on any phone anyway!

ahh well that is a different story, I read it as if you just sold your one and that covered the cost entirely. lol. Speaking of SLO I am craving Firestone grill, there trip tip :D

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
ahh well that is a different story, I read it as if you just sold your one and that covered the cost entirely. lol. Speaking of SLO I am craving Firestone grill, there trip tip :D

Ah you've been! MMO's and Fatte's Pizza were also among my favorites. Can't recall the pizza place across from Firestone everyone raves about but it was just ok to me.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I got the 8GB original iPhone on launch day, and the next Spring upgraded to the 16GB.

The phone simply blew me away. The keynote did too, of course back then we could only follow text updates from it live. It was probably the best product introduction and best purchase experience ever.

$599 wasn't even that bad of a price for the 8GB considering an unsubsidized iPhone today. Of course, 2 months later it was slashed to $399. Now some of our iPhones cost more than $399 *WITH* a subsidy.

I still turn on my original iPhone sometimes. It's not bad for listening to some music.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Eight Years Ago Today, Steve Jobs Introduced the iPhone

Ah 2009 I started wanting an iPhone but they were so expensive! I got what colleagues called an iPhone rip off despite it looking nothing like an iPhone!

A ZTE Blade - orange San Francisco

c47df590c2c459f733de7f28b7f686b7.jpg

3d8cb30fde31e1c27f809c4cfc06e7dc.jpg

I miss this phone actually as it was my intro to the android world, I had a Nokia 5800 which was a poor excuse of a smartphone...

My first I device was a 4gb iPod nano 2nd gen I believe purchased in 2007 I think.. Lost that during a house move and I think I may have given an old work bag to a charity shop with the iPod in it... I am of course hoping that one day I go into my loft and find it!!

EOB

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2014
Los Angeles
Ah you've been! MMO's and Fatte's Pizza were also among my favorites. Can't recall the pizza place across from Firestone everyone raves about but it was just ok to me.

are you talking about woodstock pizza, that place smells amazing when you are really hungry, lol. One of my favorite places to go to is The Giant Grinder Shop, I have yet to have a better tasting sandwich.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
are you talking about woodstock pizza, that place smells amazing when you are really hungry, lol. One of my favorite places to go to is The Giant Grinder Shop, I have yet to have a better tasting sandwich.

Thats the one. Ben Franklin's was our sandwich go to.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
I remember when the first iPhone came out, I was with sprint at the time. When into AT&T store to check it out, and walk out the store with one after the guy showed me the features of the phone. I had a flip phone at the time, so the iPhone at the time was on another level for me. Years later I am still rocking the iPhone. And now I am rocking the 6+

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Going back 8 years in time technology was lagging in the Cellphone sect and the iPhone was truly a blessing and the beginning of a new era

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Same, and the battery last maybe an hour.

An hour of use was all I got from mine when it was new anyway. Download an app, send a few texts, play a game, look at a couple websites, and then it was dead.

If I wanted to go anywhere and have power to receive calls while I was gone, I needed to make sure it was fully charged and not download anything or use any apps.

I loved it, but I had charger cables everywhere, including the car.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Same here, since there was no subsidized pricing, slow data speeds, no app store. I was very happy to wait until things firmed up with apple and the technology.

I bought it and loved every minute of it. It was a fun phone.

----------

I sold my first one unlocked for 850 dollars when the 3G came out.

Tidy profit considering.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Too bad it was only for AT&T. I had an upgrade on Sprint that year (and no, I was not going to go to AT&T just to get the iPhone) I would have bought one. Instead I had to wait until 2011 for Sprint to even get an iPhone and another year after that for Sprint to get an iPhone I wanted. All those network and slow data issues AT&T had with the various iPhones models released after 2007 made me glad I stayed on Sprint too (AT&T, the customer is the problem, not our sh***y network and refusal to upgrade).

In the meantime my old HTC Touch Pro from 2009 on was doing stuff (picture mail, copy/paste) that the iPhone wasn't.

I applaud the introduction of the iPhone. Just sorry the release was limited to only one carrier.

Are you done with your rant? :D. I thought this thread about celebrating the iPhone's inception, not to be annoyed that AT&T got it first. :cool:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Are you done with your rant? :D. I thought this thread about celebrating the iPhone's inception, not to be annoyed that AT&T got it first. :cool:
You misunderstand.

I wanted the iPhone. It would have been nice to have it when it was released. But I did NOT want AT&T.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Here's the keynote
YouTube: video

What is so great about watching this 8 years on is the fact that all the gestures and screen taps/swipes were still new and it genuinely got a reaction out of the crowd. We've become so used to these actions today it is crazy to think how far we've come tech wise in just 8 years. I'm excited to see where we'll be at in another 8 years!

Reactions: Kyotoma

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Too bad it was only for AT&T. I had an upgrade on Sprint that year (and no, I was not going to go to AT&T just to get the iPhone) I would have bought one. Instead I had to wait until 2011 for Sprint to even get an iPhone and another year after that for Sprint to get an iPhone I wanted. All those network and slow data issues AT&T had with the various iPhones models released after 2007 made me glad I stayed on Sprint too (AT&T, the customer is the problem, not our sh***y network and refusal to upgrade).

In the meantime my old HTC Touch Pro from 2009 on was doing stuff (picture mail, copy/paste) that the iPhone wasn't.

I applaud the introduction of the iPhone. Just sorry the release was limited to only one carrier.

Verizon suffered a slow down with iPhone 4 release on its network.

Sprint network has been slow even slower than usual since sprint got the iPhone.

So it's the iPhone causing all the problems. Don't blame ATT alone. Sure they weren't ready but other carriers felt the same data pressure from such a revolutionary device even if they got it 4-5 generations later.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York

How funny that he's in front of a Nortel banner. This ape couldn't have been more wrong. While Windows Phone is a great platform it's too little too late for Microsoft. It's guys like this and the co Blackberry CEO's who lacked vision and the inability to see what the future was which led to their company's demise in the mobile world.

BTW I got my first iPhone on the first week of July 2007. It was the 4GB version and I was so happy with it. I wish I didn't sell it. I still have pictures from it though. :)

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I still have my original in the box. It looks like hell and I can't believe how small it is. Thick as well. It was a great intro to many years of iPhone love.

I still have mine as well, although it is in mint condition. When I sold my iPhone five in order to get the 6+ I had to use my original iPhone for about three weeks. It was slow as hell. I still love how the original iPhone feels in the hand however.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Verizon suffered a slow down with iPhone 4 release on its network.

Sprint network has been slow even slower than usual since sprint got the iPhone.

So it's the iPhone causing all the problems. Don't blame ATT alone. Sure they weren't ready but other carriers felt the same data pressure from such a revolutionary device even if they got it 4-5 generations later.
I would have been willing to give AT&T a pass if they had not been so ready at the time to blame it on their customers.

In Verizon and Sprint's case they had history to look at and therefore could have been prepared. Instead they ignored what happened with AT&T.

Sprint is even more at fault because Verizon got the iPhone before it did. Again, more history they could have learned from. Instead Sprint only started it's network upgrades once enough customers left and got their attention.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I would have been willing to give AT&T a pass if they had not been so ready at the time to blame it on their customers.

In Verizon and Sprint's case they had history to look at and therefore could have been prepared. Instead they ignored what happened with AT&T.

Sprint is even more at fault because Verizon got the iPhone before it did. Again, more history they could have learned from. Instead Sprint only started it's network upgrades once enough customers left and got their attention.

ATT was clearly not ready for the iPhone especially iPhone 3G when the subsidized pricing model took effect over the full price model ($599 than $399 price cut)

I dunno. I always thought ATT was overly generous with their policies. I had iPhone 2007. I used subsidized upgrade in April 2008 on Motorola Q9H (windows smartphone at the time). They let me upgrade to iPhone 2008 (3G) in July 2008 even though I got full subsidy upgrade on Motorola smartphone a couple of months ago.

They let me do another full upgrade (early by 3 months) at the $199/299 price in 2009 on another line.

Of course in 2010 they let people upgrade 5-6 months early full subsidy $199 price causer everyone knew Verizon was getting iPhone 4 in Janiary 2011.

So ATT was good to their customers with the iPhone exclusively in terms of early (full subsidy) upgrades.

One can even say ATT has gotten stingy over past 2-3 years with the iPhone. They hardly waive upgrade fees anymore in the past it was easy to upgrade.

(I have ATT for 11 years January 2004-currently). Had sprint for 8 years (1996-2004). T-Mobile and its earlier companies (1996-2011). Verizon 2011-current. Now also carry Sprint work phone 2015-current.

So I think I know a thing or two about all the cell phone carriers.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
ATT was clearly not ready for the iPhone especially iPhone 3G when the subsidized pricing model took effect over the full price model ($599 than $399 price cut)

I dunno. I always thought ATT was overly generous with their policies. I had iPhone 2007. I used subsidized upgrade in April 2008 on Motorola Q9H (windows smartphone at the time). They let me upgrade to iPhone 2008 (3G) in July 2008 even though I got full subsidy upgrade on Motorola smartphone a couple of months ago.

They let me do another full upgrade (early by 3 months) at the $199/299 price in 2009 on another line.

Of course in 2010 they let people upgrade 5-6 months early full subsidy $199 price causer everyone knew Verizon was getting iPhone 4 in Janiary 2011.

So ATT was good to their customers with the iPhone exclusively in terms of early (full subsidy) upgrades.

One can even say ATT has gotten stingy over past 2-3 years with the iPhone. They hardly waive upgrade fees anymore in the past it was easy to upgrade.

(I have ATT for 11 years January 2004-currently). Had sprint for 8 years (1996-2004). T-Mobile and its earlier companies (1996-2011). Verizon 2011-current. Now also carry Sprint work phone 2015-current.

So I think I know a thing or two about all the cell phone carriers.
I'm not saying you don't know a thing or two, particularly with your experience on AT&T.

I myself have been on Sprint for 15+ years so I know a thing or two about how Sprint operates (and pleasing customers is not one of those things) as well.

That said, here's some info about AT&T CEO Ralph de la Vega in late 2009.

"Wireless data hogs who jam the airwaves by watching video on their iPhones will be put on tighter leashes, …[AT&T] will also give high-bandwidth users incentives to “reduce or modify their usage.”

Just 3 percent of “smart” phone users are consuming 40 percent of the network capacity, de la Vega said, adding that the most high-bandwidth activity is video and audio streaming. Several applications on the iPhone provide nonstop Internet radio.

De la Vega also defended the network’s performance, saying testing showed that AT&T’s third-generation, or 3G, network was faster than that of competitors, and that major problems are concentrated in New York and San Francisco, which are packed with smart phone users."

From the outside looking in this certainly seems to me (both at the time and now) in conjunction with all the articles about San Fran and NY and how impossible it was to even use the iPhone in those cities, like AT&T was blaming the customer.

If I'm wrong, ok. I was never an AT&T customer. But it sure looks like a duck and it sure quacks like one.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
That really was a tour de force presentation. Amazing how many things Apple got right with that first iPhone. When Jobs talked about a revolutionary and magical device, he actually understated just how groundbreaking the iPhone actually was.

Apple's detractors among the tech bloggers tried to diminish the importance of the iPhone by pointing out that this feature or that feature came from somewhere else, or how the iPhone had this feature or that feature missing. But, no one else had come close to putting the entire smartphone package together in such a compelling way. It's funny to read some of the early stories deriding the original iPhone keynote, as well as the comments from the likes of Blackberry CEO Jim Balsillie or Steve Ballmer.

Just tried Firestone Grill for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Excellent tri-tip sandwich for less than $10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.