Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I'm not saying you don't know a thing or two, particularly with your experience on AT&T.

I myself have been on Sprint for 15+ years so I know a thing or two about how Sprint operates (and pleasing customers is not one of those things) as well.

That said, here's some info about AT&T CEO Ralph de la Vega in late 2009.

From the outside looking in this certainly seems to me (both at the time and now) in conjunction with all the articles about San Fran and NY and how impossible it was to even use the iPhone in those cities, like AT&T was blaming the customer.

If I'm wrong, ok. I was never an AT&T customer. But it sure looks like a duck and it sure quacks like one.

ATT ceo was making up excuses up his butt if u know what I mean. It's been proven time and time again data hoggers do not use during peak hours. Most data hoggers consume data off peak time. So ATT is making up stuff to make it look like data hoggers congested their system.

Their system just could not handle the basic demand from regular iPhone data users especially during each launch.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I remember seeing the pic of the iPhone for the first time on PhoneScoop News. It had a pic of it in landscape mode showing off Cover Flow with Macy Gray. I saw another pic with the clown fish wallpaper. My jaw dropped. It looked better than the so-called leaked images. I actually owned the og iPhone in two iterations. Once from 2008-2010 and another from 2010-11. So a total of 3 years. I wouldn't say it was my favorite smartphone ever. It had alot of issues being a first gen but it was also so much fun because it was so fresh and different. Jailbreaking was very new to me. I can still hear Orba Squara's "Perfect Timing" watching those early ads on loop with my Sony PSP (phat). Most epic keynote ever from SJ. I still re-watch it from time to time.

Nostalgia is nice and all but I wouldn't go back using one now. I like my current phones much, much better. And I couldn't go back to 3.5 inches which was quite big for its time. But man, how time flies...

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
My first and only iPhone (my first phone for that matter) Is my 3GS. Bought it off CL last year. I love it, although i would love an upgrade. At least a 5S. Last month, i saw a mint iPhone 2G on CL. The guy wanted 500 for it!

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I've always had AT&T so the iPhone was perfect for me. Been with them for almost 16ish years now.

I remember when the iPhone first came out. I had a Nokia N95 and was in denial for a few months that I didn't want one. Played with my friends for a few hours and was sold on it. Bought one about 6 months after launch. What a great phone. Have had every single model ever since.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Still using my original iPhone, just not as a phone.

It's my iPod, alarm clock, and works okay for light web browsing. The battery still lasts about three days in standby as well.

Me too. All of its networking capability died, but it's fine as an iPod plugged into my dock or NAD �� system.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I owned one of these when Steve announced the iPhone...

With that one announcement Apple changed the entire way that a smartphone worked. Not just their phones, but those of their competitors too. No more cursor keys or squishy resistive stylus-based screens to navigate around. No more long lags when activating a control... just fluidly animated responses that help you forget you are using a computer.

And then over the years the iPhone has matured and taken on more and more features. In 2007, I had a long gadget wish list: camera, video camera, GPS navigator, voice recorder, etc. Now I have ONE DEVICE, my iPhone 6+, that accomplishes all that and does it better.

I never complain about the price of smartphones because they accomplish so many diverse tasks, and replace so many devices we used to need.

It's a great time to be a gadget nerd.

Attachments

• 191197-motorola-q.jpg
    191197-motorola-q.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 228

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
I owned one of these when Steve announced the iPhone...

With that one announcement Apple changed the entire way that a smartphone worked. Not just their phones, but those of their competitors too. No more cursor keys or squishy resistive stylus-based screens to navigate around. No more long lags when activating a control... just fluidly animated responses that help you forget you are using a computer.

And then over the years the iPhone has matured and taken on more and more features. In 2007, I had a long gadget wish list: camera, video camera, GPS navigator, voice recorder, etc. Now I have ONE DEVICE, my iPhone 6+, that accomplishes all that and does it better.

I never complain about the price of smartphones because they accomplish so many diverse tasks, and replace so many devices we used to need.

It's a great time to be a gadget nerd.

Totally agree

arliu

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
watching that 2007 keynote gives you a chilling feeling...they kept anointing it as the next revolutionary product...

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
watching that 2007 keynote gives you a chilling feeling...they kept anointing it as the next revolutionary product...

We've had these devices with which we interact by swiping, pinching, and tapping (and now talking) since 2007. We've forgotten how revolutionary the whole concept was when it was first introduced. I still watch parts of the '07 keynote to remind myself from time to time.

Many didn't understand at the time how the iPhone would impact smartphones and computing, and they bashed Apple's efforts (Steve Ballmer and Jim Basille included). They pointed out that the first iPhone lacked many basic functions and features that other phones had, and that was totally correct. But what they missed entirely is that the user interface of the iPhone was so fundamentally better than what the competitors offered, that the lack of functions didn't matter. The functions would come in time, and be layered upon an incredible foundation.

My first mobile device was a Palm Pilot, followed by a Toshiba eGenio PDA, and then a Motorola Q, before I bought an iPhone 3G in 2008. The previous devices were great in their own rights, but they felt like squished down, slow PCs with features stripped out. They worked and accomplished a lot, but they were NOT a pleasure to use. If I had a dollar for every time I had to pull the battery due to a freeze...

The iPhone felt like something else entirely, something new. I remember the first time I tried one in an AT&T store. Aside from the innovative touch UI, the OS responded in a fluid way that masked the fact that a computer was behind it all. Even though it "did less" than my Q, I wanted one immediately, and I wanted to drive my car over the Q.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
We've had these devices with which we interact by swiping, pinching, and tapping (and now talking) since 2007. We've forgotten how revolutionary the whole concept was when it was first introduced. I still watch parts of the '07 keynote to remind myself from time to time.

Many didn't understand at the time how the iPhone would impact smartphones and computing, and they bashed Apple's efforts (Steve Ballmer and Jim Basille included). They pointed out that the first iPhone lacked many basic functions and features that other phones had, and that was totally correct. But what they missed entirely is that the user interface of the iPhone was so fundamentally better than what the competitors offered, that the lack of functions didn't matter. The functions would come in time, and be layered upon an incredible foundation.

My first mobile device was a Palm Pilot, followed by a Toshiba eGenio PDA, and then a Motorola Q, before I bought an iPhone 3G in 2008. The previous devices were great in their own rights, but they felt like squished down, slow PCs with features stripped out. They worked and accomplished a lot, but they were NOT a pleasure to use. If I had a dollar for every time I had to pull the battery due to a freeze...

The iPhone felt like something else entirely, something new. I remember the first time I tried one in an AT&T store. Aside from the innovative touch UI, the OS responded in a fluid way that masked the fact that a computer was behind it all. Even though it "did less" than my Q, I wanted one immediately, and I wanted to drive my car over the Q.

+1

I went from Pocket PC to Symbian OS to iPhone OS
There was a period there between 2007 and 2009 when Android wasn't in the scene when it was just embarassing to look at what the competitors had to offer. Nokia was selling resistive touch screens as flagship models alongside the iphone 3g in stores.

it was funny at the time.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
An iOS ex-pat here, and I can still remember when Steve Jobs did the pinch to zoom and people went nuts. Also Cover Flow. I miss that. They got rid of it by iOS7. The first gen iPhone even without 3G, front cam, and 2MP rear cam with no video recording by default and flash, and only 128 MB of RAM with constant crashes is probably still the most revolutionary smartphone ever.

I still remember the competition using RESISTIVE screens and laughing at all the lag. And when Android used capacitive, it was still laggy. SJ was right that iPhone was like 5 years ahead of everyone. It took maybe until 2012 for Android to catchup. So yeah, 2007-2012 is five years. SJ was right on that but probably didn't have the foresight to see that phablets would take off or the rise of cheaper Chinese brands. But iOS' heyday from 2007-2011 was quite fun to own any iPhone. After Ice Cream Sandwich (2011) or Jelly Bean (2012), KitKat (2013), or Lollipop (2014), it seems iOS has gotten very stale even with the major refresh with iOS7 two yrs ago.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
An iOS ex-pat here, and I can still remember when Steve Jobs did the pinch to zoom and people went nuts. Also Cover Flow. I miss that. They got rid of it by iOS7. The first gen iPhone even without 3G, front cam, and 2MP rear cam with no video recording by default and flash, and only 128 MB of RAM with constant crashes is probably still the most revolutionary smartphone ever.

I still remember the competition using RESISTIVE screens and laughing at all the lag. And when Android used capacitive, it was still laggy. SJ was right that iPhone was like 5 years ahead of everyone. It took maybe until 2012 for Android to catchup. So yeah, 2007-2012 is five years. SJ was right on that but probably didn't have the foresight to see that phablets would take off or the rise of cheaper Chinese brands. But iOS' heyday from 2007-2011 was quite fun to own any iPhone. After Ice Cream Sandwich (2011) or Jelly Bean (2012), KitKat (2013), or Lollipop (2014), it seems iOS has gotten very stale even with the major refresh with iOS7 two yrs ago.

Some would argue that iOS 5 was the best iOS ever..

LazarX

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Jersey City
Too bad it was only for AT&T. I had an upgrade on Sprint that year (and no, I was not going to go to AT&T just to get the iPhone) I would have bought one. Instead I had to wait until 2011 for Sprint to even get an iPhone and another year after that for Sprint to get an iPhone I wanted. All those network and slow data issues AT&T had with the various iPhones models released after 2007 made me glad I stayed on Sprint too (AT&T, the customer is the problem, not our sh***y network and refusal to upgrade).

In the meantime my old HTC Touch Pro from 2009 on was doing stuff (picture mail, copy/paste) that the iPhone wasn't.

I applaud the introduction of the iPhone. Just sorry the release was limited to only one carrier.

There were pretty good reasons for that. And actually the original carrier was Cingular, not exactly AT+T. Those of you who remember the smartphone climate of those days would be aware that carriers, particularly Verizon would cripple or even block the features of the most advanced phones. Jobs went around from carrier to carrier and Cingular was not actually the first one to say yes... but the only one that would agree to have the iPhone with all features active and unbridled on their network an during those first 2 years of development Apple Computer and Cingular did a fair amount of collaboration on the design. By the time of the keynote, AT+T had fast tracked itself into buying Cingular, eventually re-branding it as AT+T mobility. Cingular's willingness to let the iphone take on the network unbridled did have some consequences. Iphone users became the data gluttons on the network with the phone's full web access, and the ability to sen photo media back and forth, and data consumption would jump again with the introduction of Facetime and streaming video apps.

Ahh... picture mail. I believe it was last year that Sprint terminated the service for good. Times have changed.

Smply_Rcklss

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
I was using the original LG Vue. I was 18 working at a Burger King & my manager came in with one when it released. I had no idea what an iPhone was or what a smartphone was at the time. When he let me mess with his, I was sold. There was a AT&T right across the street from us, so on break I went across the street & picked one up. No idea whatever happened to it years later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.