Accuracy of stand activity tracker

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by PGD123, Apr 28, 2015.

1. PGD123 macrumors newbie

I woke up at 6:30am and by 10:30am my watch is telling me I stood for 5 hours already. In between those two times, I spent an hour driving my car, and just sat through an hour and half meeting. Anybody else find the stand metric inaccurate?

2. i-aamir macrumors 6502a

I was just about to post exactly the same thing! Today I have probably stood for around 2-3 hours but my activity tracker is saying 7 Hours! Definitely inaccurate!

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Mine has been very accurate. But I stand for most of the day... so I can't really say if results would have been the same otherwise.

4. pittine macrumors newbie

i haven't figured out how this works. it tells me to stand, i stand for one minute, and the circle doesn't change at all. it seems to not consistently record when i'm standing.

5. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

It is accurate. It isn't telling you that you stood for 5 hours, it's telling you that you stood for 5 unique 1-minute intervals thus far. Certainly you stood when you walked from your car to the building. You also stood when you walked from your office to the meeting room, etc. If those movements were in different hours then they count as 2 stands.

Put another way: standing for 1 minute during each hour period counts as 1 stand

----------

No, it's saying you stood 7 times for at least 1 minute in 7 different hour periods.

That could have been 7 minutes total or 7 hours.

6. PGD123 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's not what it's saying at all. It quite literally says "Stand 5 Hours" (8 at the moment). I understand what you are saying, but that's not what it's doing. There is actually a graph that shows a bar for each hour. Every hour is either a full bar or nothing. Which is kinda useless.

I could see if I stood for 15min in an hour and the bar was 25% filled for that hour. Then it totaled it all up to give me a cumulative total for the day.

The way it is now, is very misleading. Plus if you do the math from my original post, I was awake and wearing the watch for 4hours but according to the watch had stood for 5 hours.

7. susan12369 macrumors 6502

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You are not understanding what it is and what you are being told. It is not telling you how LONG you have stood. It is telling you that you have stood at least a minute or more in each hour you have been up (with the watch on).

Sitting for too long at a time is a major health problem. There are lots of studies that indicate setting for more than an hour at the time on a regular bases shortens your life span. The Stand Up is primarily aimed at desk workers (and anyone sitting for too long) to encourage them to stand up (stretch/walk/move) and not just sit for hours on end.

9. susan12369 macrumors 6502

It's not trying to measure how long total you are standing, it's trying to measure how many hours in which you stood for at least a minute. I would imagine if there was room for more text on the screen, there would be a longer explanation of the data calculated.

10. PGD123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm okay so it is. I still find it a bit misleading. It's also not very useful if that's the way it works. I understand the health benefits of standing, but as long as I stand up once an hour and walk to the fridge for a beer, I hit my goal. Is there a way to increase the goal, from 1 minute an hour to 10 minutes or something like that?

11. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

Not that I can find although I would like this option as well. Hopefully in a future update.

12. elgerber macrumors member

It does not track how long you have stood, just that you have stood in each of those hours. And the hours start at the top of the hour, so from 6:30 - 10:30 actually does span 5 1 hour periods.
    Mine right now says 7 hours. I have a desk job, but I do get up and move around every hour when it prompts, so I have stood up in each of the 7 hour time periods.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You use Move to monitor this metric. You need to increase your active caloric consumption.