Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
This was my go to weather app. Any suggestions for a replacement?

App store reviews are already getting hit hard.
I’ve long been a fan of Weather Line. I like the way it visualises the weather trends, seems to fit my brain well.

Oh, and it pulls data from Dark Sky too, so you get their super-accurate rain forecast for the next hour at your location.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
This was my go to weather app. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Apple’s stock Weather app is quite accurate.
[doublepost=1503437512][/doublepost]
I use the Weather Channel app because an Atmospheric Sciences Prof here at UW (Cliff Mass) has stated their forecasts are first-rate. But I agree with the people who aren't crazy about the app itself - it could use some UI design love.

Apple’s stock Weather app uses the Weather Channel’s data.

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Deleted off multiple devices. I'd recommend DarkSky, or weather underground. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The response from accuweather was appalling.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Guess I'll be deleting it. Sad because I loved the Minutecast feature with a graphical minute-by-minute representation of the precipitation over the next two hours.

I checked out Dark Sky based on the recommendations in this thread. I'll be giving it a try.

stanhope

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2015
I just uninstalled that b i t c h
[doublepost=1503438122][/doublepost]
Guess I'll be deleting it. Sad because I loved the Minutecast feature with a graphical minute-by-minute representation of the precipitation over the next two hours.

I checked out Dark Sky based on the recommendations in this thread. I'll be giving it a try.
Dark sky is fabulous

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Dark Sky all the way
Never used accuweather
Don't use weather channel simply because of their website that is so full of clickbait and popups.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
AccuWeather vice president of emerging platforms David Mitchell told ZDNet that AccuWeather will use data through Reveal Mobile for "audience segmentation and analysis, to build a greater audience understanding and create more contextually relevant and helpful experiences for users and for advertiser."
Translation: Our app will show you exactly where the sun don't shine, which is where you can stick your complaints.

I personally like Storm, which is made by Weather Underground but puts the radar front and center.

Reactions: centauratlas

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
http://www.forecastadvisor.com

For US members, here is a website where you can enter your ZIP code and it will tell you the historical accuracy of the various services. The Weather Channel always seems to score well here for my area, so I just stick with the default app that uses TWC for data.

Here is a sample of what you will see after entering your ZIP.

I like the Dark Sky/forecast.io apps, but the accuracy was always bad for me so I dumped them.

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 2.41.15 PM.png

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Well, rats. I liked their minute forecast feature. Surprisingly accurate and very handy. Anyone know another weather app with a similar feature. (i.e. "Rain Likely in 45 minutes." or "Rain ending in 5 minutes.")

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I use the Weather Channel app. I also agree it isn't perfect. There are like 3-4 things I use, and I'd love to be able to put them all at the top. I need to scroll through stuff I don't care about, to get to the stuff I do care about. It's really no big deal to me though.

rdale

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
As a commercial pilot, I need detailed weather info. I would recommend people use the national weather service NOW app.

There is no such thing - the National Weather Service does NOT have an app.
[doublepost=1503438483][/doublepost]
I just uninstalled that b i t c h
[doublepost=1503438122][/doublepost]
Dark sky is fabulous

Except when weather occurs. Anything "out of the ordinary" causes it to crash and burn. We watch it during the winter to see how horrible the snow predictions are. Some meteorologists have communicated with the developers on ways it can be improved, but they aren't in it for the accuracy.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Another vote for Dark Sky. As someone living in Florida it is the best weather app I've ever used.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
It cracks me up sometimes thinking about all these trackers tracking a broke nation around the web. Do they wonder while they track us to the train every morning why it is that we pass by a Starbucks? Could it be because we need that latte money for the monthly train pass?

It's a good thing technology has kept up with the pace of tracker scripts added to every web page on the planet. Otherwise it would still take five minutes to load a page like w/ 300baud modems...

That said, Accuweather just took a hike to all the trash bins in my house of many gadgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.