AccuWeather for iOS Sending Location Data to Monetization Company Even When Location Sharing is Off [Updated]

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
As someone who is a bit of a meteorology nerd and former storm chaser, I use nothing but Weather Underground and RadarScope Pro. Weather Underground is free with ads but I pay about $2.99/year to remove them and it's worth it because the app is fantastic and I love using the dark mode and dark radar backgrounds. When I want to dive deep into the radar and look for tornado vortex signatures and hail cores I'll use RadarScope with the Pro subscription which is $9.99/yr and gives access to level II radar data (such as super res reflectivity and velocity for TVS and correlation coefficient for debris), longer animation loops, and dual pane display mode which is handy for spotting rotation. I've thought about buying the new tier 2 pro subscription which has some pretty high end features but at $100/yr, I'm not sure if I really need it.

AccuWeather is a joke by comparison. Weather Underground is much more accurate. Just use that.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
http://www.forecastadvisor.com

For US members, here is a website where you can enter your ZIP code and it will tell you the historical accuracy of the various services. The Weather Channel always seems to score well here for my area, so I just stick with the default app that uses TWC for data.

Here is a sample of what you will see after entering your ZIP.

I like the Dark Sky/forecast.io apps, but the accuracy was always bad for me so I dumped them.

View attachment 713960
I find Dark Sky to be the most accurate around here. I live near a huge body of water and that greatly affects temperatures so I find that the forecast even for my city could be several degrees different than my home (and the area in general could be off by close to 10 degrees). I think Dark Sky crowd sources weather stations in the area and there must be a few of my neighbors with very accurate uploads as it is generally spot on with my thermometer.

Reactions: Weaselboy

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Another vote for Dark Sky. As someone living in Florida it is the best weather app I've ever used.
Dark Sky is the best at the next hour's rain forecast. In my experience over the last year in Minnesota, other services have been MUCH better for anything longer than an hour away.

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
This is why I haven't downloaded an app in years.

Call me boring but outside of my banking app I don't even use a non native app.

In fact I pretty much deleted most of those. I really only use a smart phone because of its speed when browsing safari and messaging/ phone calls

hausjam

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
How is this a surprise? They have to pay for free apps somehow. If you don't want to get violated, loosen your purse strings.

No one has any common sense anymore.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Repeat after me: “if you don’t pay for the product, you ARE the product”
... but I paid o_O

Anyway, removed, F-that, you know just the other day AccuWeather prompted me with an offer, something to effect of, "Share to FB for 7 days forecast", I thought it was odd - not so much anymore.

I've been using Dark Sky for a long time, I added AccuWeather to get some cross checks, additional info, especially during the storm last year.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I stopped using AccuWeather ages ago and now just use Apple's own and Dark Sky. What a pathetic response from the company. They must know how it this would progress - surely the first step is to apologise and drop their data sharing deal.

Hopefully Apple steps in. After all if location data is turned off for the app they shouldn't be retrieving it in other ways. I don't see this ending well for AccuWeather. People won't trust them.

Reactions: thasan

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
As someone who is a bit of a meteorology nerd and former storm chaser, I use nothing but Weather Underground and RadarScope Pro. Weather Underground is free with ads but I pay about $2.99/year to remove them and it's worth it because the app is fantastic and I love using the dark mode and dark radar backgrounds. When I want to dive deep into the radar and look for tornado vortex signatures and hail cores I'll use RadarScope with the Pro subscription which is $9.99/yr and gives access to level II radar data (such as super res reflectivity and velocity for TVS and correlation coefficient for debris), longer animation loops, and dual pane display mode which is handy for spotting rotation. I've thought about buying the new tier 2 pro subscription which has some pretty high end features but at $100/yr, I'm not sure if I really need it.

AccuWeather is a joke by comparison. Weather Underground is much more accurate. Just use that.
I want so much to love Radar Scope Pro but they refuse to add speeds to their loops. One frame at a time is not cool. Look at MyRadar Pro. So so much nicer.

Reactions: Sharkoneau

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
This was my go to weather app. Any suggestions for a replacement?

App store reviews are already getting hit hard.
I adore just the Weather Channel app. The real-time notifications are really great. It's updated often. It has the option to remove ads. I have no complaints with it.
[doublepost=1503440587][/doublepost]
Repeat after me: “if you don’t pay for the product, you ARE the product”
Yes! This needs to be a PSA.

selliott

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
Vegas
From the statement - "We do not attempt to reverse engineer a device's location based upon other data signals like Bluetooth when location services are disabled...."

Am I a newb or does this leave open the distinct possibility that they are doing some reverse engineer on other data when the location services aren't disabled to gain more information about the user?

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Storm (by Weather Undergound) and Weather Underground are good. Also Beweather 2 is very nice with moving map on the screen and lots of customization/themes.