ACD 30 or HP lp3065?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dobro03, Mar 24, 2009.

1. dobro03 macrumors member

We want to get a 30 inch monitor and planned on getting the ACD 30. We rented one for a week when our 22" went down and loved it except where we need to place it, it is a bit high because of the stand it is on. We don't want to buy a VESA set up etc.

We like the flexibility of the HP lp3065 stand and that might work better for us. But we like the styling SO much better on the ACD. Since we have clients in all the time, the ACD would be a better fit in our studio look-wise.

Anyone have experience with these 2 monitors? What do you think of the plus & minuses of each.

Thank you.

2. Doju macrumors 68000

ACD. It will look a lot better for the clients, which is what it's all about. You'll get used to height, plus you can tilt it (but not lower unfortunately).

3. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

HP LP3065. People will be too impressed with the size to care about the styling, and the extra features on the HP are not worth sacrificing for an inferior aging ACD.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The 30" ACD has been around for a while, but that doesn't mean that it is "old" in the sense of being inferior. Apple brought it out long before other companies (and it debuted at $3300!)

It is a fantastic display and if you are going for the "look" with clients, it can't be beat. I'm not sure what additional features the HP provides, assuming you don't need three different DVI inputs on one monitor.

5. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

HP panels suck. Period. And the ACD is not inferior in any way. Except the age that it still kicks butt compared to other panels. The HP has features that you probably will use once or twice but not regularly.

7. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

Any other thoughts on these 2 displays?

Much appreciated.

8. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

it sounds like you care more about styling then the placement of the monitor. Both are quality displays, and performance wise they should work just about the same except the HP has more ports. But if thats no concern to you, then worry about the styling.

What's a client going to say, oh that monitor looks a bit high, or man that's a good looking monitor. :) (my choice was the ACD)

9. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

I was worried about the height of the monitor for ergonomic reasons since we stare at it all day. Neck aches are a 'pain'. The extra ports don't come in to play for us at this time. Style points do count!

10. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

Any last thoughts before we make a purchase?

Thanks.

11. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

Just my 2 cents. I've not been fortunate enough to see an ACD in person yet, however, from what I've heard and read, it really is a great display.

As far as the HP, make sure you decide with caution if you plan to go with HP. I have to use HP for work and I'm in the process of replacing one of my desktops in the near future. I've been looking into getting one of the new HP monitors and I have to be honest, I've been very un-impressed with the monitors I've seen in store. I was originally thinking a local store had some settings off or something, although all the other screens looked just fine. So when I went to a few other stores, they all looked about the same. The colors seem okay, overall, but the entire image seems very fuzzy and out of focus. This has kind of made me question the monitors, while I have not really looked into reviews on them yet, I've not liked what I've been seeing. So if you plan to go with HP, just make sure you do the research on the monitor and make sure it is getting good reviews.

Personally, if it were me and I wanted good quality and something to impress clients, I would most likely go with the ACD without question.

12. vga4life macrumors 6502

I have an LP3065. It uses the exact same LG-manufactured S-IPS LCD panel and 92% NTSC gamut CCFL backlight as the 30" ACD and the Dell 3007WFP-HC. The image quality is the same on all three of these displays.

The HP has three inputs, an adjustable-height stand, built-in USB2 hub, 3 dual-link DVI ports, HDCP support (allegedly, I haven't tried it), and comes with a pair of dual-link DVI cables (which are expensive in their own right)

The only thing the ACD has over the HP is a firewire 400 hub and its aluminum design. The HP isn't as sleek, but still looks professional with thin, black bezel and it is a lot more functional. Multiple inputs are nice; I can plug my other laptop in without unplugging the computer or buying a very expensive dual-link DVI switch.

13. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Dang, vga beat me to it - I was going to throw a wrench into your system and suggest thinking about a dell too. :rolleyes:

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If the OP is in a studio, there won't be multiple computers running the same display.

15. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

Well we picked up a used Cinema Display and there were some issues with it.... so we took it back. So was that a 'sign' that we should choose something else? :>)

This is for a studio set up and the multiple inputs aren't really important to us at this point. Just a great looking screen and one that fits the studio vibe to impress clients are our main objectives.

So, HP, Dell, Samsung or another crack at a Cinema Display?

16. vga4life macrumors 6502

The height adjustment is very useful, especially if you have a monitor shelf. The HP can go almost down to the deck. It wasn't my primary concern when I bought the monitor - I just got lucky and it works perfectly with my desk. (quicky photo below)

Attached Files:

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Everything you said was wrong. :p HP's panels are made by LG, which supplies Apple and Dell with panels. The only thing about Apple's panels is that they're older and inferior to Dell's and HP's panels --- worse brightness (backlight issue, not LCD panel), MUCH worse contrast, worse response time, and slightly worse viewing angle. Here, I'll even provide more than opinion ;) .....SCROLL DOWN. That panel listed for the Apple is ANCIENT. Hasn't changed in far too long.

Sure, the ACDs are due for an update, but we said that 12 months ago, and nothing has changed.

The panel used in Dell's 30" 3008WFP should be the best. However, you seem to care more about style then even LCD height and comfort, so you may as well just pick the ACD and not worry about it.

18. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I think if you can afford it, go with the ACD 30". It has very good colors, and amazing looks.

19. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Sorry, but you are totally wrong about the HP LP3065 sucking.

Yes a lot of HP's consumer grade panels are terrible but NOT the HP LP3065.

This is an EXCELLENT monitor. Period.

20. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

You've got it pretty much correct except that the Color Gamut on the HP and the Dell far exceed that of the ACD 30".

The HP and Dell display HD Video and images with high gamuts much better but they are a lot less realistic for soft proofing images that will be reproduced via Offset Printing. The out-of-the-box gamut on the ACD 30 is about as good as it gets, in this price-range, for this application. The higher gamut monitors can be calibrated to simulate this SWOP gamut but the ACD matches better.

But for HD Video, vibrant photos and websites, the HP and Dell have the superior gamut.

21. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Let's be clear:

The ACD crushes the HP LP3065 in terms of Design and colors which will be 'soft-proofed' for SWOP print reproduction.

The HP LP3065 beats the ACD with better colors in the RGB color space. So HD video, on-screen high res photos, and well-built websites look far superior on the HP LP3065.

The HP LP3065 also wins in terms of input ports and adjustability.

We have two ACD 30's and three HP LP3065's.

Both are Awesome Monitors. They are a JOY to work with.

22. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Don't bother listening to him, or debating him. He is an useless troll with no real advice or meaningful information to offer other than the "Apple is da best!" over and over again.

23. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Moderator Please delete.

Post submitted in error.

24. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I use two 30" monitors in my shop and LOVE them both. I highly recommend both of these.

One you know, the Apple 30" cinema display, the other the HP LP3065.

Let me compare them for you.

The ACD 30" is by no means a "bad buy" in this day and age for print production and general use. It uses the very high quality Phillips panel and has very solid SWOP (Standard Offset Press) certification built in from the factory. This is no small achievement and very important for print work. Very few monitors achieve this. One can calibrate other monitors to achieve this but here's why I use love the ACD in this regard: I can tell our print sensitive clients that our monitors are SWOP certified. If a client has a color issue (I've only had one in 20 years) with a project, and you wind up in dispute, it is nice to have a certified product, certified by an industry governing standard, when disputing this issue. This holds up well in a court of law; Judges get this regardless of the real-world implications of other factors regarding color management. I regard SWOP certification as insurance for offset printing work.

The ACD is a bit old in terms of color gamut and brightness. If you have a newer Apple MacBook or MacBook Pro the ACD 30 is brighter, crisper and sharper with better colors but it does not match the higher gamut 30" monitors now on the market (more on this in minute with the HP LP3065). These higher gamut monitors are outstanding for video production and playback, for gaming and for website display (providing the site is well built). HOWEVER, and this is big 'however,' these higher gamut monitors are very difficult to use for accurate color reproduction in print work, which it sounds like you do not do, so this is not an issue. High gamut monitors can be calibrated down but we have found that the colors always look better on screen than they do in print. This is an issue. Especially if one 'soft-proofs' a job for a client, which we do often.

The ACD shines in this area. Out of the box its color represent the Offset Printing color gamut; this monitor was built for this color space. And it works well for video, and general web surfing as well, the colors are just not as vibrant and bright but they still look really nice.

In 2009, print work is declining a bit, web and video are rapidly on the rise. The HP LP3065 shines in these areas. The colors are simply vibrant, saturated and stunning. HD video looks outstanding. This panel is not the best for gaming (but like me, this is not your thing) but it plays video really well. Websites look great too. Brightness is fantastic; Applications like you and I use with a lot of pallets look stunning and are easy to work in.

I love the HP LP3065. Love it. I really like the ACD 30" as well.

Which one looks better externally? The Apple Cinema Display of course. Hands down. But the HP 3065 certainly holds its own; It is no visual slouch. What it lacks in refinement, it makes up in vibrant color. If you focus on displaying a high gamut image when your clients visit you can make up for the lack of that Apple brushed aluminum appeal somewhat. But that Mac Pro / ACD brushed combination is a real stunner!

Yes, the Apple is at a loss when it comes to adjustability. I have seen machined, brushed aluminum risers that help with the height adjustment but they are not cheap.

In the end, I recommend both of these panels. There are others now that rival and possibly slightly exceed the HP in terms of gamut (color range) but I have no personal experience with them and cannot accurately recommend these monitors. If I were to buy another 30" right now today, I would buy either the Apple 30" or the HP LP3065. None of the other monitors I have seen can rival the ACD's aesthetic look.

You can find a lot of reviews on the HP LP3065 via Google -- it gets really high marks, is affordable but keeps a "low profile." I think HP markets this for the high end corporate environment as opposed to the general consumer market.

I prefer the matte surface panels like the two above to the new glossy coated surfaces. Matte is better for print and has less glare and puts less strain on the eyes when working. Gloss does make the colors POP a bit more. Neither of the two panels above have a gloss surface but some newer 30" panels do.

25. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

^ chill dude, FX was agreeing with you and advisin you not to bother debating with the above poster that said all hp monitors suck