Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hey Folks,
thanks for all the helpful contributions in here.
I went with Lilu and WEG because of High Sierra and a Cuda eGPU.
If i test the jellyfish 10bit h265 all the video play smooth in VLC but the CPU went 500% every time!?
Checked with VideoProc states HEVC is not enabled
Why?!
The Vega56 is properly announced by the system but not in VideoProc.
Could anybody help?!

Thanks in advance
Sebastian View attachment 870635

Please re-read post #1 Q19

And I just add Q27, which is about that N/A is a cosmetic error in this case.

alchemistics

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
Switzerland
Anyone know of a good app where it shows the frequency and speed of the GPU kinda like GPU-Z for Windows?
Wanted to compared the 2nd bios switch on my card to see if there's any difference.

iStat Pro shows (since an update) my vega 56 watt usage as well, besides memory, core clock and utilisation. Very handy..

Z1839

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
I'm running a Sapphire Pulse RX580 on my 5,1 MP running Catalina. Videoproc is showing H264 encoding enabled, but not HEVC. Judging from what i've read in the thread, is there no hope for Catalina?

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I'm running a Sapphire Pulse RX580 on my 5,1 MP running Catalina. Videoproc is showing H264 encoding enabled, but not HEVC. Judging from what i've read in the thread, is there no hope for Catalina?
That’s the current position.
I believe some SMBIOS hacks might be whats needed for us to get it working for Catalina.
(making macOS believe even more that this isn’t a mac pro but actually an imac pro where these should work)

Reactions: Z1839

Z1839

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
That’s the current position.
I believe some SMBIOS hacks might be whats needed for us to get it working for Catalina.
(making macOS believe even more that this isn’t a mac pro but actually an imac pro where these should work)

Thank you. I’m a little confused if wether I actually need the bios hack.
I installed the limu and green kexts, and now the videoproc shows H264 support but no HEV264 support.

i ran the swordsmith video and it was super laggy. I pressed cmd i and it said I’m running HEV264, but the video was laggy.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thank you. I’m a little confused if wether I actually need the bios hack.
I installed the limu and green kexts, and now the videoproc shows H264 support but no HEV264 support.

i ran the swordsmith video and it was super laggy. I pressed cmd i and it said I’m running HEV264, but the video was laggy.

1) There is NO BIOS hack require for HWAccel activation. It's either by installing extra kext (your current method) or by editing the AppleGVA.framework (system file).

2) Swordsmith video is a HEVC video. This video can be played smoothly in Mojave because HEVC hardware decode can be activated via the work around introduced in this thread. The same work around can only activate H264 HWAccel in Catalina, no HEVC decode. Therefore, that video cannot be played smoothly in your case.

Z1839

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
1) There is NO BIOS hack require for HWAccel activation. It's either by installing extra kext (your current method) or by editing the AppleGVA.framework (system file).

2) Swordsmith video is a HEVC video. This video can be played smoothly in Mojave because HEVC hardware decode can be activated via the work around introduced in this thread. The same work around can only activate H264 HWAccel in Catalina, no HEVC decode. Therefore, that video cannot be played smoothly in your case.

Hmm... so it sounds like there’s nothing else I need to do in my case since videoproc shows the acceleration for H264. Any idea if I’ll be able to eventually get HEV264 working on Catalina?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hmm... so it sounds like there’s nothing else I need to do in my case since videoproc shows the acceleration for H264. Any idea if I’ll be able to eventually get HEV264 working on Catalina?

There is no HEV264, either H264 or H265 (AKA HEVC).

It is possible to get HEVC HWAccel in Catalina, but I haven't test it yet. The idea is simple, turn the cMP into a Hackintosh, and make it ident as iMac Pro.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
just about to do the Hex edited version of this mod but need to disable SIP first.

Before I go and dig out my old Saphire 7950 Mac edition card, does anyone no of an easy way to disable sip blindly?

is used to use h9826790's method below but this doesn't seem to work for me under Mojave?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/activate-amd-hardware-acceleration.2180095/

Disable SIP is required for BOTH method.

Anyway, all GPU that can provide HWAccel in macOS on cMP can also display in recovery partition. There is no need to disable SIP in blind.

But if you insist to do that in blind, I wrote the guide at here.

Reactions: crjackson2134

IanK MacPro

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2018
Buckinghamshire, UK
Disable SIP is required for BOTH method.

Anyway, all GPU that can provide HWAccel in macOS on cMP can also display in recovery partition. There is no need to disable SIP in blind.

But if you insist to do that in blind, I wrote the guide at here.

Sorry, I feel so stupid now, of course the 580 can boot into recovery! ?

I've only every had to disable SIP on my other 2 MacPros running the 1080ti's and I've always had to do that blind, completely forgot that the RX580 would be fine.

Thanks for the quick response, you've been a massive help as always. ?

Fingers crossed the hex edit method works well with this card and that FCPX etc are stable.

If not, I may experiment to see how well dual Vega 56's perform.

Z1839

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
So I found out that my RX 580 is dual bios so it should work out of the box. I deleted the kexts as recommended. Is there any way I can get hardware decoding enabled on Catalina on my 2012 MP?

I don't see hardware decoding enabled as well when I do cmd i in IINA. I have it on Auto (Copy) in the menu

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So I found out that my RX 580 is dual bios so it should work out of the box. I deleted the kexts as recommended. Is there any way I can get hardware decoding enabled on Catalina on my 2012 MP?

I don't see hardware decoding enabled as well when I do cmd i in IINA. I have it on Auto (Copy) in the menu

Already answered you in post #533.

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
How you play that Swordsmith video?

And what's the CPU usage?

Anyway, please continue this discussion in the HWAccel thread. This has nothing to do with the VBIOS.

Same as I had reported to you previously this year. It's not "real" HW decode, but a shared CPU/GPU decode:
Screenshot 2019-10-21 13.57.30.png
Screenshot 2019-10-21 14.05.39.png

I realized I took a snapshot right at a stumble-point; added a smooth-playback screenshot. Playback via Quicktime.

That's strange...I would assume that with an RX 580 and 32 GB of RAM I should be able to play it. Is the CPU the bottleneck here? Or am I greatly underestimating the system requirements for the video, haha!

You're running the same specs as me-although I do have dual X5675's.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Same as I had reported to you previously this year. It's not "real" HW decode, but a shared CPU/GPU decode:
View attachment 871463 View attachment 871470
I realized I took a snapshot right at a stumble-point; added a smooth-playback screenshot. Playback via Quicktime.

You're running the same specs as me-although I do have dual X5675's.

This is pure software decode, but only using the GPU to display. This is exactly why you still experience some "stumbling" during the playback.

What Z1839 is trying to achieve is hardware decode. That won't work OOB in Mojave on cMP. And at this moment, I don't know anyway to get that in Catalina without turning the cMP into a Hackintosh.

Z1839

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
This is pure software decode, but only using the GPU to display. This is exactly why you still experience some "stumbling" during the playback.

What Z1839 is trying to achieve is hardware decode. That won't work OOB in Mojave on cMP. And at this moment, I don't know anyway to get that in Catalina without turning the cMP into a Hackintosh.

I just read #533...I'm new to the Hackintosh game so i'm not sure what the difference would be with a Hackintosh cMP vs just running the patched Catalina.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I just read #533...I'm new to the Hackintosh game so i'm not sure what the difference would be with a Hackintosh cMP vs just running the patched Catalina.
That’s what I was hinting at when I mentioned SMBIOS ... basically faking out macOS to think that it’s actually an iMac pro Not a mac pro.

Z1839

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
That’s what I was hinting at when I mentioned SMBIOS ... basically faking out macOS to think that it’s actually an iMac pro Not a mac pro.

haha well looks like I’m going to figure out how to do so. Thanks for the input.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
haha well looks like I’m going to figure out how to do so. Thanks for the input.

You better to wait a bit longer if you are not rush to have that.

cdf has some experience about how to use OpenCore. He may share his experience later. Then I will follow up if full HWaccel is possible via using OpenCore. And study what’s the pros and cons etc (of course, if time available).

If you really need HEVC hardware decode now. My suggestion is downgrade to Mojave.

svavaroe

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on a MacPro5,1 with 2x X5645, 32GB RAM and a Sapphire Radeon RX-580 8GB card.
Dropped the Lilu plugin with a internal WhatEverGreen inside the Plugins folder into /Library/Extensions/
Updated the NVRAM boot-args with a "shikigva=96 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94"
and have full H.264 decode/encode and full HEVC(265) Decode.

swordsmith.png

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

miracatici

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
Hello, I also would like to accelerate my playbacks and exports with hardware acceleration. My system is Mac Pro Early 2009 4.1 -> 5.1 firmware upgrade, High Sierra 10.13.6, BootRom 144.0, 2x2.26 Xeon (stock), Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB. My installation steps are very straight-forward. I took a brand-new SSD, fresh install High Sierra, boot rom update with Mojave installer, install RX580 in first slot and finally did NVRAM reset. Every thing works like charm, except Adobe Premiere Pro exports :(

I tried both of methods however none of them is successful. There's an interesting point for second method that I cannot found hex value in AppleGVA file. I tried different hex editors (i have experience) but there is no line that is mentioned in the guide. I wonder this workaround is only for Mojave? Some of the guys did it on High Sierra but different card. Is my system eligible for that accel?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 17.59.19.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 17.59.19.png
    276.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 17.59.28.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 17.59.28.png
    254.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 17.59.34.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 17.59.34.png
    296 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Hello, I also would like to accelerate my playbacks and exports with hardware acceleration. My system is Mac Pro Early 2009 4.1 -> 5.1 firmware upgrade, High Sierra 10.13.6, 2x2.26 Xeon (stock), Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB.

I tried both of methods however none of them is successful. I wonder this workaround is only for Mojave? Some of the guys did it on High Sierra but different card. Is my system eligible for that accel?
You need Mojave or later, I tried it with 10.13.6 a long time ago and you just get GPU hangs/crashes/restarts.

there is nothing wrong with being on Mojave in general, upgrade and enjoy the upgrades.

Reactions: h9826790

svavaroe

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
Hello, I also would like to accelerate my playbacks and exports with hardware acceleration. My system is Mac Pro Early 2009 4.1 -> 5.1 firmware upgrade, High Sierra 10.13.6, BootRom 144.0, 2x2.26 Xeon (stock), Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB. My installation steps are very straight-forward. I took a brand-new SSD, fresh install High Sierra, boot rom update with Mojave installer, install RX580 in first slot and finally did NVRAM reset. Every thing works like charm, except Adobe Premiere Pro exports :(

I tried both of methods however none of them is successful. There's an interesting point for second method that I cannot found hex value in AppleGVA file. I tried different hex editors (i have experience) but there is no line that is mentioned in the guide. I wonder this workaround is only for Mojave? Some of the guys did it on High Sierra but different card. Is my system eligible for that accel?
I did not try out my RX-580 card on High Sierra. As soon as I got the card I upgraded from HS to Mojave just by running the installer which upgrades the BOOTPROM and then the OS itself. After updating the OS to 10.14.6 I then installed the Lilu/WEG kext and updated the NVRAM boot-args. Your machine has everything that needs to run Mojave. e.g. the correct BOOTPROM 144.x.x.x and the RX-580 card.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I did not try out my RX-580 card on High Sierra. As soon as I got the card I upgraded from HS to Mojave just by running the installer which upgrades the BOOTPROM and then the OS itself. After updating the OS to 10.14.6 I then installed the Lilu/WEG kext and updated the NVRAM boot-args. Your machine has everything that needs to run Mojave. e.g. the correct BOOTPROM 144.x.x.x and the RX-580 card.
Mojave will have the stuttering audio problem with @miracatici MP4,1>5,1, since it’s a dual Mac Pro with Gulftown Gainestown Xeons that are not supported anymore after 10.14.3. It will need to change the processors to Westmere-EP/Gulftown Xeons (X56xx).

Last edited:
Reactions: bsbeamer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.