Activation fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corriewf, Jun 24, 2010.

1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Anyone successful at getting AT&T to waive activation/upgrade fee? Last year they did, but 3 calls to customer service and a sup call, no budging. They refuse to waive anything stating that they can't per apples iPhone 4 contract.

2. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Was never charged one. Called to make sure about this earlier and the nice lady notated my account that if it does show up (she saw no pending fees) that it will be removed.

4. hwalker84 macrumors member

I didn't have to pay. But I upgraded from a 3G to iPhone 4

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If they waived it for you last year, then that is most likely why they are rejecting you. I have been out of contract for 3 years with AT&T and I finally signed today for iphone 4. They were very reluctant, but I pushed little bit and bang! They said, okay.

You have to persuasive on this. However, it's always about who you talk to. Also, don't just say can I get it waived? Say it like I am smart phone customer and with my good billing payment history. Could you guys be generous enough to waive this fee? As a smart phone customer, I always bring more revenue to the company than any other customers. I mean I just gave my 2 years commitment to AT&T because I respect AT&T (Not your towers though...), so can I ask you guys to do the same thing?

Also, if you are a premier customer then you have much better chance.

Hope this helps.

6. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, well the one that said no notated my account and now each rep says no and that I have been advised on this. Ughh!

7. jtara macrumors 65816

I have no clue, because I wasn't given a receipt.

The Apple representative asked me if I wanted an email receipt or a paper receipt. I said "paper" since this is for a business, and I like to have paper receipts.

But he never gave me one, and I'm afraid in the confusion I didn't check. He asked me when he went back to get the phone, but came back with just the phone.

FWIW, I was supposed to have the fee waived, according to the ATT "upgrade check". I'm pretty sure it was waived, because I think the bill was about $350 for 32GB. California charges tax (close to 8%) on the full, unsubsidized price, so that's about $50. So, I'm pretty sure my activation fee was waived.

8. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

My advice is to keep calling... One CSR will budge. I'll try tomorrow.

9. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

I DIDNT get charged my activation fee BUT it's part of my discount I get with Att.

10. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have talked to 6 reps no, no go. And on top of that, my phone still isn't activated after 8 house of waiting. They still won't budge.

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You need to call AT&T and find out why your phone isn't activating. Restore it or something. Make sure the sim is seated and good.

12. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, been trying to do that for 10 hours now.

13. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes! After tailing to about 10 or so reps, maybe more, they finally waived the activation fees that they said they couldn't waive because apple controls that. And finally 12 hours later my phone just magically activated. Thank gawd!

14. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Ten hours, that's crazy.

15. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

I felt so lied to all day. I just can't believe it took so many reps lying to me to get one rep that cared. I could half understand the upgrade fee, but not waiving the activation for a new line is sad. I even spoke with retention and threatened to cancel and spoke with a sup there. Each one of them insisted there was no way in the system to waive it. This also showed me just how much the reps don't know chit about iPhone activation. I thought it was pretty sad when the apple rep at the store told me AT&T reps there were useless.

16. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

All depends on the manager and what your contract you have. I've been a full years, (even when I was eligible I didn't upgrade to 3GS) so they can't as I was month to month. It all depends... if you're paying $300, are you really worried about $18?

17. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Every bit counts when your trying to pay for your upgrade by selling your old phones.

18. osakagrl macrumors newbie

im really trying to get out of this one too. maybe I should bring up the fact that my husband and I are paying 150 dollars to break our contract with sprint that should be reason enough!

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Just be persistent but don't be rude. Explain you really enjoy AT&T and everyone has been so helpful and if you can make a nice comment about the rep you are talking to, that helps too :)

People love compliments. If it doesn't work, try the call again. :)

20. chillstatus macrumors member

I set up a new line yesterday on the iPhone at the Apple store. Sales rep there said I had the $36 activation fee. I said okay. Called AT&T business account services today and they waived it for me according to my company's current discount offerings. Took about 5 minutes.

21. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

I got it waived. I had a text message prior to my upgrade (when i checked for eligibility) that said it would be waived. But I was charged one anyway. After I received my phone I decided to argue the matter and the CSR said the $18 would be credited on my next bill.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Got it waived for both the 3G and 4. I pay them over a 1000 a year for service, not to mention hardware, they can live without my $18.00

23. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

From my understanding, the activation fee, if applied, will show on your next bill. I think.

24. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know me, I tried all of that. They were not budging. I pay $170 a month so I think they can do without the 18 as well. :)

25. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Exactly. You need to call back, talk to a supervisor or something. I have 2 iphones on a family plan, spend $240/month with taxes... anyway, I called yesterday to have the $18 upgrade fee removed - not only did the guy do that for me, he said, "tell ya what, I see you just added ANOTHER line to your family plan (to make 3 total), I'll also remove the $26 activation fee." Needless to say, I was very happy.

On an unrelated note - I've been with directv for over 10 years - they are now offering free HD for life for new customers only. If you are like me and are not under contract call them too. Make sure you talk to CANCELLATIONS, customer service won't do a thing for you - I got a $20 credit per bill (double the free HD credit) for a whole year AND, they are paying one full bill this year - a total savings of $330 for the year.