Activation of iphone 3Gs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ustahir1, May 6, 2010.

1. ustahir1 macrumors member

My brother bought an iphone 3gs from ebay, when plugging it into the pc it says activation need, i had an old iphone n it was easy to get past the activation back then, however it doesnt seem so easy now.

i dont know know what firmware he is on however by looking at the serial i can tell its old boot

my question is this, can i activate it by using an o2 PAYG sim?? or if needed i have a friend who got an iphone 3gs yesterday from o2 could i just pop his sim into the iphone n connect to itunes and activate it that way??

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Use Spirit... that's about all I can tell you for easy hacktivation.

3. ustahir1 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the quick reply but unfortunatly on spirit to do an untethered unlock i need

An activated device: one not stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call screen.

if i do a tethered will that hacktivate it??

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

what country did the iPhone come from? in the US you would have to put an AT&T sim card in to activate. you may need to take it to your local carrier and see if they can be of assistance. but I think it is going to come down to the needing to be activated with an original sim.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How was the old iphone easy to get past the activation?
    You either JB it and hactivated it or put an AT&T sim to activate it.
    Also activating it doesnt mean it will be unlocked or not even sure if the baseband hasnt been update to official 3.1.3 to be able to unlock.
    Spirit doesnt hactivate an iphone, it will have to be done with a valid AT&T simcard or else you wont be able to activate a 3GS on 3.1.3 unless its on a firmware build below that.
    And also the spirit JB is untethered on all 3GS models, even ones with the new bootrom.
    Go to this link: http://spiritjb.com/

Requirements
    •Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch on firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 3.2.
    •An activated device: one not stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call screen.
    •Any version of iTunes 9 (including 9.1.1).

6. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

put in a sim card from any "official" carrier to activate it. i save my at&t sim for only this reason.

7. thespazz macrumors 6502a

You're on the right track. Try an official O2 sim.