Actually, no rumors of new Mac Pro coming soon...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Sep 23, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Despite our constant projections and speculations based upon the Intel roadmap, doesn't it concern anyone that there haven't been any rumors at all regarding a new mac pro at 9to5, MacRumors, MacUser, etc???

It does me. Me thinks that Apple thinks the current MP is just fine, and that their client base, ad agency production people and the like, actually agree.

I am really starting to think that there won't be a new Mac Pro for some time, and that the 2.66 will be with us for some time to come.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I sincerely believe (hope) that they're working on new case designs and that involvement in this is limited to a core set of people within Apple, hence no leaks at this stage.

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Only a little over 3 months until Macworld. It looks like a nice update will come out then. Apple should have something impressive enough to show the public by then.

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

MacWorld Would Be A Drop Dead Date

I still think mid November will be when we get the long overdue update - 7 weeks from Tuesday.

5. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I don't get it. They would have to update it. If they are going with the slogan, "The Fastest Desktop Computer Ever," than it's currently NOT by November.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

PowerMac uh..............ProMac is long overdue. The case has been with us for a long time now and if imac and rumored macbook get aluminum then you know the others will have something else, gold, silver, wood,plastic, titanium, who knows but apple will make it distinct.

7. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

There's nothing wrong with the case design. Sleek, elegant, effective. I don't keep my computer on a pedestal for people to look at anyway.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I use a G5 dual 2.5 PowerMac at work so I know full well what they look like and what's more, how heavy they are. There's no need for them to be that size nowadays; we'll hopefully also see a return to an enclosure that can hold more than 2 hard drives.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I wouldn't worry about it. We may have had leaks this past year on things, but not everything gets leaked. Besides if we are talking mid November that's still 6-7 weeks away. I don't think we will see a case redesign, so there isn't much left to do. Infact I wouldn't think there is even much for Apple to do on a pro machine rather than alot of testing, choosing components and making sure drivers work. Not the level engineering that goes in to other products.

I said it in another thread, but right now Apple offer the fastest 4 and 8 core workstations you can get with Intel processors (GPU options aside). No reason to think they won't continue to try and do so.

10. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Its a workstation, not a normal desktop computer. The weight is right in line with other high end workstations such as the HP XW8000 series. Needs to be made of thick enough material where sound and vibration can be kept to a minimum. Powersupplies can weigh a lot and a workstation needs to have a hefty supply to feed multi processors, heavy video cards and multiple drives.
    Fast workstations also need adequate cooling which means large coolers. A good cooler can weigh 1-2lbs on its own. If you have two processors, you can easily have 3-4lbs right there.

Plus the computer is only like 45lbs and its not like people drag them around on a daily basis :)

11. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

umm..i'm sure u know this..but mac pros can have 4 hard drives..so..i'm not sure what u meant by ur last statement.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'd personally like to see a return to something the approx dimensions of the G4 towers... which were also called workstations at the time. There's no doubt that at some point there will be a new case design for the Mac Pros and I would wager they will be smaller.

You're absolutely right about the Mac Pros; I stand corrected, thanks. It's been a while since I've specced out new desktop machines for the studio and judging by budgets, it'll be a while before I do so again.

13. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

see post in another thread commenting on this but the big thing that surprises me is the lack of updating the video cards in the last year. I mean it's been a year now since I got my system and there are no video card upgrades.

I'm placing my bet on 1Q08.

14. G4DP macrumors 65816

If they make it any bigger it'll break the desk!

The Mac Pro is almost twice the weight of the PowerMac. If they make it any heavier or bigger it will break the stand, that I have the G4 on. It's about time a redesign happened, hopefully slightly on the lighter side.

But hell as the important stuff of the MacPro has been ignored so much, a redesign is never going to happen.

No rumours of a new Mac Pro, we shouldn't really be suprised, the Pro User is no longer important to Apple. it's the gadget boy's and fanboys that are Apples main market, stuff those who use macs for a profession.

15. jaimem macrumors newbie

my powermac weights about a quarter of what my mac pro does! they need to lighten it up!

16. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Mac Pros Hold Up To 6 HDs With No Modifications

Zactly. These computers belong on the FLOOR. Anyone who thinks their PowerMacs and Mac Pros belong on a desk is really fooling themselves. They have no business being up on a desk at all ever.
    The current Mac Pro can hold 5 or 6 drives with no modifications at all. I do not want them to change the case. The case is already perfect.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There is no such thing as perfect... what may suit you, may not suit others, and to think that the MacPro cases won't look different externally or internally in 2-5 years time is to wish for the extremely improbable.

The G3/G4 PowerMac cases lasted a good while, there's no reason to think these won't be the same, but change they will.

18. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I really love the Pro case and if it means keeping the current size and keeping the current HD total or reducing the size and losing HD spaces...

I choose BIG PRO CASE!

:eek:

19. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

If they wait until January and announce at MacWorld (which by all accounts was a complete BUST last year), then that would mean the Mac Pro would have been essentially untouched for a year and a half. At that point, the video cards used in the Mac Pro would be 2+ years old. Also at that time, the video cards would be at least three generations behind.

For those who will pipe in and say that the added "option" for the dual quad-core chips was an update, and that the thousand dollar RAID card was an update, I and the vast majority here wholeheartedly disagree.

Regarding the dual quad-core option. That was released to Apple well before it was released through the retail chain. This leads me to believe that Apple has an excellent shot at acquiring the new Harpertown chips and the SS motherboards before the "official" November 12th release date. That being said, I think we will see an updated Mac Pro when Leopard is released, possibly before.

The main concern is: what is Apple going to do about the video cards? Their iMac video card choices concern me. Apple can save the day and release an 8800GTX or GTS 640 meg as the midrange card, or they can screw the pooch and offer only underpowered cards and a high-cost workstation card.

Also of concern is Apples product focus. With the iPhones and iPods, Leopard was forced to slide. The Macbooks and MacBook Pros have had several healthy updates in their lifetime, the iMac is all new, and even the severely neglected mini was updated. The Mac Pro has the dubious distinction of being the oldest and most neglected product in the lineup.

It will be very interesting to see what video card options Apple chooses. If they are indeed underpowered and under performing, this will bee proof positive that no one at Apple reads the Mac Pro feedback they have been receiving.

20. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

My New Feedback Message

Mac Pro Feedback click on it.

Harpertown Stoakley-Seaburg Mac Pro - Please Sell ASAP

I have been waiting for a long time to buy this Mac Pro with up to date video cards. Please try to put it up for sale ASAP without regard to marketing strategies. Ready to buy the top of the line 8 core Mac Pro when you are ready to sell it with modern video cards please. Please don't wait 'til MacWorld Expo Mid January. Please ship it in November or December ASAP. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

21. Rustman macrumors regular

Rustman

Amen.... getting sick of waiting to hear something now. Windows died on me 4 times today. I want to migrate, but their business strategy is getting in the way of my productivity.

Give us a date Jobs. At least hint at when we can expect to get a product worth the notes we are ready to shell out on it.

22. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Haven't you heard? The MacPro has not been updated, because it is going to be discontinued. It will be replaced by a revolutionary new design called
    "The Cube".

23. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Haven't you heard? The MacPro has not been updated, because it is going to be discontinued. It will be replaced by a revolutionary new design called
    "The Cube".

"The Cube" you say? Yes, it will be a rectangular black aluminum cube.

24. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Amen! :D

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Really? On the floor in the office where all sorts of dust can get into them, on the floor where I can't access the optical drives easily or the front USB port. You seem to have pretty prescriptive ideas about these machines. We'll just get on and use ours as we see fit...