iPad Adapter for micro-SIM to make full size SIM?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by peestandingup, Feb 7, 2010.

1. peestandingup macrumors regular

According to people in the know, its been confirmed from multiple sources that the new micro-SIM cards that Apple is using in the iPad are identical to the regular SIM cards we use today. The only difference is that the plastic is "shaved down" to make it a smaller form factor. But the components are virtually the exact same.

Many people have brought up the fact that you could shave down your current iPhone's SIM card (or whatever smartphone you use w unlimited data) & use that card in your iPad, thus eliminating the need to pay AT&T an extra $30 on top of the data plan you already have with your phone. The only problem is, how would you go back & put that card in your iPhone again. You couldnt.

BUT. A more exciting "what if" to me would be going the other way, for say, someone that didnt already have AT&T phone service, & using the iPad's micro-SIM card inside a plastic "blank shell" adapter that made it into a regular sized SIM card, then using that card with an unlocked iPhone (or other unlocked smartphone) to have an always on data-only connection with a VoIP app (or something like Google Voice w Gizmo5). Meaning for a mere $30 a month, you could technically be able to use your iPad & iPhone with the same SIM card, switching between the two when its necessary (for pocketability), to have data service & voice service, thus eliminating a costly cell phone bill while being contract free.

This wouldnt work for everyone, but for many many people who only use a little bit of voice & a lot more data every month, this would be an awesome alternative. using the iPad w a bluetooth headset when you're at home & switching to the iPhone when you need something that fits in the pocket.

Only problem is, I havent seen any micro-SIM adapters on the market. But how hard could that be?? All someone would have t do is make a hollowed out regular SIM card that you could slide in or snap in your micro-SIM card.

2. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Wow, thanks Python! I'm definitely going to order that once I've got my iPad 3G.

3. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

I promise you, within 1 week of trying to swap the card back and forth you'll get fed up and stop doing it...

4. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I'd wait until the Ipad 3g actually comes out to see if the sim cards really are interchangable. While you could make them physically fit inside each other, I'm not sure they still would work on a software level. ATT wants you to buy an extra data plan just for the ipad, so I wouldn't put it past them to somehow block you from using an iphone sim.

5. microsim macrumors newbie

The adapters are now available at microsim-shop.com

6. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

There was another link in this thread that python had posted for adapter. It seems to have been removed....

7. mayassa macrumors regular

I tried that already and posted in another thread. And no it didn't work:(

8. poppap macrumors member

I cut my AT&T iPhone sim today and use the adapter.

iPad: Data plan works perfectly after changing the APN to wap.cingular
    iPhone: Still works just fine after putting on the adapter and put back in

I cannot guaranty anything. You will have to contact AT&T if you destroyed the sim.
    Just want to report that mine works perfectly.

If you are attempting please make sure to line up the three middle contacts of the big sim to the three contacts of the microsim when tracing the edge. You can safely cut the bottom edge of the big sim contacts as it is not used.

Attached Files:

9. OceanView macrumors 65816

This is good news. Now if there was a way to get texts and phone calls on the iPad. :D

10. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I received my micro SIM adapter from http://microsim-shop.com/ today. Haven't been able to test it yet and probably won't use it anytime soon but I figured it may come in handy so why not have one on hand.

11. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Don't you have to Jailbreak to be able to change the APN?

Are you saying the iPhone SIM works fine in both ipad & iphone?

12. poppap macrumors member

I did jailbrake mine but the APN setting is there even if the iPad isn't jailbroken.

Yup. The iPhone sim works in both iPhone and iPad after the cutting.
    You do need to have the adapter to be able to put the sim back in the iPhone.

I tried calling my number while the sim is in the iPad and it just ring endlessly with nothing displayed on iPad at all.

13. OceanView macrumors 65816

That sucks.
    If there was a way to send calls to your voice mail, at least you could know who called you if they left a message.

How about texts?
    Do you get texts when you put the sim back into the iPhone?

14. idevSteve macrumors member

The iPad comes to you unlocked. You do not have to jailbreak in order for this to work.

15. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I thought u change the APN to phone why did u change it to wap.cingular

16. poppap macrumors member

both works the same

17. Ral67 macrumors newbie

18. Johnnye macrumors newbie

Here is another producer for mini sim adapters!

Hey guys! Just found another one mini sim adapter here: http://microsim-shop.com.ua/Details.html

Looks great! I like it much better in metal. :apple:

[​IMG]

But seems like it's made by some guys from Ukraine... So only for wholesale, yet... Hope to see it in UK soon, as already cut my card for the new iPad )))

Cheers!

19. owzer macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm that using the iPhone SIM converted to miniSIM actually allows the iPad to receive 3G data packages?

20. Brian Cortwin macrumors newbie

Micro-Sim Adapter

And I have just received my microSIM adapter from another shop www.microsim2sim.com
    Actually, there was also a micro-sim cut sticker that came along with the adapter. It was a nice surprise, as when I was ordering they did not have this sticker for sale offering only the adapter itself.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

21. Laszlo45 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

in Canada where can I buy the adapter for micro-SIM?

22. deuce2222 macrumors newbie

google it.... I saw pdaplaza in Montreal have them

23. Laszlo45 macrumors newbie

Cool! pdaplaza.ca
    Thanks!

24. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

This is what I wonder too and what will AT&T do about it?

Thanks!

25. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528