Adbbe flash update-Is this the mac trojan horse?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mattg3, Oct 14, 2011.

1. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Just received a notice on my mac to update flash player.I downloaded update but remembered reading about a trojan horse in macs connected with adobe update so instead of installing it I dumped it in trash and emptied.Does anyone know if a legitimate flash update is being sent on Oct.14 that i just dumped or was this the mac trojan attempt to get in my system?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

That's funny - as the malware uses the built-in OSX installer, hence looks more 'valid' than the official installer.

How did you receive the update notification? Were you browsing at the time?

4. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes i was browsing but it looks like i dumped an official flash player update.Im sure it will come back and now that i know what the bogus one looks like Im ready. thanks

5. interrobang macrumors 6502

The Flash malware has been blocked by XProtect. So long as you're running a recent, updated version of OS X, you won't see it.

6. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I follow a simple rule of never install any software on a computer I did not seek out myself. This way it's very unlikely the machine can get affected by malware or trojan.

The safest way of updating Flash is downloading it through Adobe download center, and not through on screen pop up.

Here is how to update it safely:

There should be a Flash Player icon in System Preferences, open it and go to Advanced tab, there is a button called "Check Now", this will open a link to Adobe Flash player download site.

7. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

I am running 10.7.1

It is not the most recent update of the Mac OS X as I hear that 10.7.2 causes problems with Photoshop 5.

The other day, out of the blue, a box pops up prompting me to update my FLASH player.

I did the install.

Are chances good I installed the Trojan?

I don't believe the installer looked like the photo. The box was completely red in color. Still, I don't want to rely on my memory completely.

Did 10.7.1 have malware protection built in?

8. simsaladimbamba, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Have you looked at this thread and the post above yours?
    Or at this thread?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...disable_mac_os_x_anti_malware_protection.html

9. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

10.7.2 here and photoshop cs5 is working as good/bad as always has