ADC Student Discount Question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zepadikt, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zepadikt macrumors newbie

So, I found out about this cool ADC discount. One question, though--do I really need to be a computer student? I am a theology student. I am not studying development. Does this matter? Can I still get the discount? Do they check to see what kind of student you are?

Thanks!

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You should be a developer... but besides that you don't have to be a "computer" student.

Theology... wow.

3. aeiz macrumors member

Apple doesn't care what your major is. You can sign up for ADC student as long as you are at least 18, currently enrolled, and can provide them with proof. Oh, don't forget the $99 ;)

4. zepadikt thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question...

Thanks for your answers!

Does it take longer to receive your Mac if ordering through the ADC discount? If so, how much longer?

5. MacClueless macrumors member

Students get a discount anyway. I don't think the ADC discount is much better if any at all.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The ADC discount is significantly better than the EDU discount on high end machines.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is not what the general reports on Macrumors suggest, do a little searching through the forums and there are many posts regarding the discounts.

It takes a little while to get the ADC sorted but once setup i doubt it will take any longer for you to get your mac

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The ADC discount is an roughly an extra 10% off the education pricing. You will get a total of ~20% off. Which is a pretty good deal to me, it just depends on what you get. Remember, this is once in a lifetime discount, so you may as well use it on something expensive (ala my brand new 17" MBP).

Apple may ask you for a proof of enrollment to confirm, if so, Theology probably won't cut it.

9. MacClueless macrumors member

It's not really "once in a lifetime". That's so final sounding huh? If you upgrade your ADC membership you get additional purchases, there's just one with ADC Student.

Enrollment YES, but no other requirements (theology is fine). You don't even have to take classes. I just signed up for my community college on their website (free and instant) just to test and they accepted it. ANYONE can get this discount that really wants it.

10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Not everyone, you have to fax them proof of some sort of enrollment and a student ID, at least I did.

ADC IS MUCH BETTER on pro machines and even better with upgrades.

If you qualify for EDU, then buy Apple Care from there store saving u even more.

11. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

It is a once in a lifetime discount in terms of utilizing it with the Student Developer Hardware purchase program. And at $99 to enroll in the Student ADC program it would behoove you to maximize your purchase as Sammich and others have pointed out. Yes, you could enroll in a Select Membership, but if you're not a developer per se and do not plan on using the perks that come with being a Select member other than the "hardware discount", it's not feasible to plunk down the $499 to enroll. Only the Premier membership, retailing at $2499, allows for multiple purchases.
    As a student, the $99 student ADC in a sense pays for itself, and let's be realistic, would you pay $499 if all you're going to use is the hardware discount?

12. jng macrumors 65816

jng

They send you a t-shirt to that says "i :apple: code" Too bad it's a extra large and i'm like a small. And you get Tiger. And I'm assuming they're going to send me Leopard when it arrives. :)

I signed up, even though my semester ends in 2 weeks and they enrolled me anyway. I asked before hand and they said as long as I am "currently" enrolled.

13. MacClueless macrumors member

The Apple education discount is available to anyone via the website - they don't check.

The Apple ADC discount is also available to anyone via the website - just register at your local community college on-line (it's free and easy) and *poof* you're a "student". It takes under 5 minutes. Print out the registration page with your student ID and fax it in. You don't have to be a full time student, you don't have to be taking classes, just have to be registered... and anyone can do that.

14. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

totally agree...it's amazing the extra 100 you save w/ EDU Apple Care over ADC....

I'm gonna do this, this coming fall and I'm a law student (i do have a computer science undergrad, though)...i'm gonna purchase a MBP 15" spec'd out with hopefully SR...cannot wait...only 3 more months....

plus, i believe you'll get leopard for free if it's released w/in a year of purchasing ADC...and Oct. is definitely w/in the year...yipppeee!!!!

15. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Uh, you do realize that you have to provide "verification of student status" by first logging into the Developer website and in the profile menu select the Student status checkbox and enter in your student ID and school name. You then have to enter in the code that should have been received by e-mail in the Activations area. Next, fax a copy of your passport or other official identification (such as a driver's license or student identification) along with a current or upcoming course schedule or other official proof of enrollment from your college/university. to the appropriate ADC region. Until the fax is received, your membership will be listed as "Pending" and it'll take a day or two to be activated. I'm not sure if Apple scrutinizes each proof of enrollment or course schedule so unless you happen to have insight into Apple's guidelines, please do not presume that it's a "5 minute job" MacClueless. You'll be one sad puppy when trying to checkout your purchase and your membership is still "pending".

16. MacClueless macrumors member

I'm not... I did it. And you're wrong, you do not need a course schedule. Did you even read the requirements?

http://developer.apple.com/faq/students.html#anchor2

"a current or upcoming course schedule or other official proof of enrollment from your college/university".

It doesn't cost a dime to "enroll" in community college nor do you have to go there or take a class. Your mileage may vary. The point is this discount is available to anyone who wants it... just become a student. I did.

17. BigPrince macrumors 68020

You are clueless or maybe I got flagged and did not know it.

My account was not verified until I sent them a schedule and a student ID. At my school you need to be taking classes to get a student ID for the first time.

" 1. Visit the ADC Member Site to confirm that you are a student in your ADC Profile. After you click the Student Status checkbox, you must also provide your student ID number and school name.
    2. Proceed to the Activations area in the ADC Member Site and use the Code you received via email to start the Activation process.
    3. Fax a copy of your passport or other official identification (such as a driver's license or student identification) along with a current or upcoming course schedule or other official proof of enrollment from your college/university.
    "

18. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Uh, did YOU?

1. How do I verify my student status so my ADC Student Membership can be activated?

After you purchase an ADC Student Membership and receive an Activation Code via email, you must verify your student status before ADC will activate your product. The verification steps are:
    Visit the ADC Member Site to confirm that you are a student in your ADC Profile. After you click the Student Status checkbox, you must also provide your student ID number and school name.
    Proceed to the Activations area in the ADC Member Site and use the Code you received via email to start the Activation process.
    Fax a copy of your passport or other official identification (such as a driver's license or student identification) along with a current or upcoming course schedule or other official proof of enrollment from your college/university.

North America 1-408-974-7683
    Europe 44 (0) 131-458-6988
    Australia 61 2-8223-9347
    Hong Kong 800-908-212
    Japan 81-3-3570-8075
    Singapore 1-800-2775-3248
    Your Student Membership will not be considered Active and you will not receive any Student member benefits until your verification fax is received by ADC. If you need assistance, or a local fax number is not available in the list below, please contact ADC.

Note that the ADC Student Membership does not include code-level technical support, access to pre-release software, or use of the ADC Compatibility Labs and students may not be transferred these benefits by others. If your development requires such benefits, please consider purchasing an ADC Select Membership instead.

What I don't get is today at 3:47PM you made a statement that you didn't think the ADC discount was "better if any at all" This would lead me to assume that at the time you weren't even a Student ADC member and now almost two hours later you're the subject matter expert on Student ADC.

19. BigPrince macrumors 68020

*Just to make it clear to anyone else that reads this*

Getting an ADC membership is not "cake" and is not like the EDU where it is precieved to be only "spot checking" and where it is believed one can get through the ONLINE EDU store while not being qualified.

With ADC, you need documentation and you need to fax it to Apple. This process takes several days before your membership is "official". Now if you are able to falsify this documentation, good work, however getting a "fake" student ID and ID # may be a bit hard to do and the consequences could be worse then a slap on the wrist since your faking student ID's.

20. MacClueless macrumors member

Which part of "I did this" confused you?

Yes - I did:

"I am contacting you regarding your Student Verification. We are happy to confirm that your Student status has now been verified.

ADC Member Site
    <http://connect.apple.com/>

After you have activated your product you will be able to view your pending ADC Student Membership asset in the "Active Assets" section of your account.

If you do not receive the activation code within 24 hours of your purchase then please check the spam and trash folders to make sure that the email from Apple has not been redirected to another folder.

Once you have purchased and activated your ADC Student Membership, please reply to this email and I will activate your Student Membership.

We hope that this information is useful to you. Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this information."

Blah blah blah. Easy. :)

21. MacClueless macrumors member

No, it takes 24 hours.

I can't imagine why anyone would "fake" anything when you can be a "real" student in 5 minutes as I explained above.

22. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

In any of your previous posts, WHERE did you specify that you had verified your student status? It would help you if you were to read your previous posts and others in reponse to your posts before spouting off random remarks.

23. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I did a search of my gmail and did not get an email like yours and I am surprised Apple would use the I in correspondence with you. Here was mine:

" Thank You from the Apple Developer Connection

Thank you for your purchase. To activate an ADC Product, click its Activation Code link below, or enter the code in the Activations area of the ADC Member Site at http://connect.apple.com/.
    Product Activation Code Part Number
    ADC Student Membership XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

To activate this Membership you must indicate Student Status in your ADC Profile. Fax verification is also required. Get the details at http://developer.apple.com/students/.

Please contact ADC at http://developer.apple.com/contact if you need assistance.

We look forward to helping you make the most of the Apple platform. "

Then a follow up email:

"Dear Oliver XXX,

The Apple Developer Connection has transferred the following item(s) to you:

ADC Mailing - Student
    Student Orientation Kit
    ADC Student Membership

The next time you log into the Apple Developer Connection web site
    (http://connect.apple.com) you should see the item(s) above.

If you have any questions or we can be of further assistance with any
    aspect of your program membership, please contact us at
    http://developer.apple.com/contact/programs.html

Thank You,"

24. MacClueless macrumors member

You just didn't read the instructions. Go back and read them again. No "student ID" is required. Read this slowly:

"Fax a copy of your passport or other official identification (such as a driver's license or student identification) along with a current or upcoming course schedule or other official proof of enrollment from your college/university."

Why do you guys want to make people think this is harder than it is?

25. BigPrince macrumors 68020

It took them between about 36 hours for them to verify mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.