adc-student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattsajay, May 28, 2007.

1. mattsajay macrumors member

i read in the forum that maybe getting a Apple developers account for 99$ might be a clever way to get a "once in a lifetime" discount.

my questions is: of what amount will the discount be for a MBP or MB? can i know apriori how much will I save?

for example: if I were to buy the following:

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (or the santa rosa chipset when it comes out, wwdc hopefully)
    3GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1x2GB, 1x1GB (or 4 gig for the santa rosa chipset)
    120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display

it costs 3074$ plus taxes (normally) and 2816$ plus taxes ( educational discount).

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's around 15-20% depending on your country.

3. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

for the US .

thanks for the reply, Nermal: i edited the post to include specifics.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

$2459 for that one. See here.

May I recommend the same system with 2 GB of memory and a 23" display for $2808? :)

5. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

this is a really foolish question: how did you manage to enter the adc store: clocking on the link takes me to a page which says " unable to enter the store"

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It might only work if you have a developer account.

7. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

aah: okay. thanks.

8. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

To shop without having an ADC account, since the store checks your referer..

http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

Click "ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store"

It won't be worth it for anything less then a macbook pro / mac pro though.

9. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

i have been reading the previous posts about the student adc and figure that the savings better for higher end machines (pros). Okay! thats a nice bit of info.

what stuff do they send? (i mean in terms of cds/softwares, updates?). people posted about getting a copy of leopard when its released. but other than that, what sort of " developer tools" does apple send ?

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You get a documentation update CD every month, a full documentation DVD every 3 months, Xcode DVDs whenever it's updated, and any OS releases.

I was a member in 2004 so things may have changed since!

11. jng macrumors 65816

jng

You also get an apple developer T-shirt. It's a giant extra large though. I need a small. =/

They also send you xcode. Every month you get a CD from apple.

12. Freyqq macrumors 68040

if you get the extra ram 3rd party, you'll save a lot of money.

13. Anorak macrumors regular

Anorak

I just found out about ADC and did the math for buying a MacBook Pro. Using education discount prices (in Canada) vs ADC:

Education discount: $1,999 CAD

ADC: $99 USD + $1,759 CAD = $1,866 CAD

Not too bad, considering all the perks you get with being a developer. I think I might go the ADC route, but it all depends on what the back-to-school discount is.

Quick question: for those who are Canadian, are the ADC "Canada Hardware Site" prices in CAD? They don't really say on the website, they just have prices listed.

14. spjonesi macrumors member

Hmmm...I'd venture to guess those are USD prices. If those are CAD prices, then I'll be in vancouver next weekend :D

joneSi

15. Anorak macrumors regular

Anorak

Well, it is the "Canada Store". I just wish they were more clear about what currency it was.

I checked out the US version of the Developer site, and the prices are cheaper, so I'm going to assume the Canada ADC site is in CAD.

16. spjonesi macrumors member

Well, I'll checked out the pricing on the US education store...and you are right that is CAD pricing :eek: . I guess I'll have to be on the next flight out of Madrid...Vancouver is an awful long way from here...lol (I'm in Valencia, Spain for the summer).

I'll be ordering my brand spanking new MBP just before I get back in August!!! I can't wait...for the computer that is. I'm enjoying the beach here.

spjoneSi

17. Anorak macrumors regular

Anorak

So have you signed up for ADC? I'm thinking about doing it but I don't know how much of a hassle it's going to be.

18. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

It's not a hassle. You sign up (buy it online), have to fax in your schedule, and within 24 hours your account is updated to "verified" and then you can make your purchase. I did it when buying my MBP. I also then went ahead and sold the copy of Tiger and the t-shirt which almost completely covered the $99 fee.

Definitely worth it.

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

i HATE that. I thought maybe there was some place I forgot to look to specify shirt size...it's a fun shirt, just waaaaay too big.

fwiw you also get leopard with the adc membership a little while after it's released.

20. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

hmmmm interesting discussion here and elsewhere in the forum about ADC. thanks for the links folks.

i think for the time being i will go with a mbp/mb through the education discount. maybe i will procure a mbp when i am ready to graduate in another 4 years through the student adc program.. you know just before i get out in the real world.. get one last " once in a lifetime discount"!!!!!!

21. tango554 macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I'm a new ADC Student, working for a digital design/photography company for the summer. The owner is a close friend and has allowed me to shoot for free and have access to all the studio equip.

I am currently shooting with a Canon Rebel XTi, mostly in RAW or high res and an EOS 1d. A shoot can easily be 8-12GB of photos. I have a 12" ibook G4 800 w/ 640mb ram and need to have my hands on a better computer in two weeks (the week of june 11th). I figured I'd buy a MBP, use the computer until Christmas and upgrade around holiday time. I was thinking of buying with the ADC discount. I'm faxing my transcripts today (May 30th).

My Questions:
    1. If I were to buy now, how long would it take to get a 15" MBP 2.16ghz with upgrade HD to NYC via ADC?

2. If I were to wait for WWDC and order on announcement day, how long would it take to get the computer?

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

We can't see the future :)

1. this depends on what they have in stock and such
    2. this depends on when the new mbp (if at all) shows up after the wwdc announcement day, how many people want it, and how many apple are manufacturing. this can be a week after or a month after..who knows...

23. Illicit macrumors 6502

can anyone tell me whats the link to the apple ADC store in CANADA?
    I find the system to be really redundant. http://developer.apple.com takes you to the ADC page, where you're asked to login. upon doing that and clicking products, it takes you to a page where you're asked to buy ADC membership...despite having just logged in as an ADC member. going to the main ADC webpage and clicking Store takes you to the Apple store in the USA.

24. bobpensik macrumors regular

25. Illicit macrumors 6502