Adc ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OneArmedScissor, Jan 9, 2008.

1. OneArmedScissor macrumors member

I am seeing a lot of people using adc discounts for their new mac pro's. I am buying a new mac pro next week and im wondering if i should sign up and if so which one would be at utmost benefit to my purchase??

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Well, give us some details...What will you be using your mac pro for? Which version do you plan on getting? Are you a student?

3. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

what's the ADC discount???????

4. timestamp macrumors 6502

It is $99 for a student. If you aren't a student, the cheapest membership is $500 I believe. Which is about what the stock Mac Pro is discounted. The $500 membership (Select Membership) only gets you one discount as well.

So unless you are a student, it really wouldn't be worth your while to go with ADC, unless you were upgrading like mad.

Pricing for the stock Mac Pro is $2239. Upgrades are discounted by about 20%, for example the 8800GT is $160 instead of $200.

The single quad Mac Pro is $1839.

The 3.0Ghz Octo is $2879, and the 3.2Ghz is $3519.

The Mac Pro is heavily discounted in the ADC store.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

ADC=Apple Developer Connection;

6. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

Is this for UK customers too

7. timestamp macrumors 6502

UK pricing might be different, but I am imagine it follows a similar structure.

http://developer.apple.com/membership/hardware.html

Anyone can access the store the US store. Europe doesn't have a stand alone store, I believe you have to call.

8. krypt macrumors newbie

The $500 ACD membership discount resets each year, correct? That is, members can make one discounted purchase each year from now until the end of time? If that is true, it actually seems pretty good. Would pay for itself in 2 purchases for sure.

9. timestamp macrumors 6502

I believe you have to renew the membership yearly.

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

true, and it also includes a monitor purchase

the student adc is only a 1-time lifetime purchase...

11. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It would except you have to pay the $500 each year as well.

12. krypt macrumors newbie

Ah, that's no good, then.

13. OneArmedScissor thread starter macrumors member

So your saying if i pay for the student ADC the 3.2 mac pro will be 3,519?

14. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

If you are a student, yes. They require proof of student status before you can purchase the Student ADC.

15. timestamp macrumors 6502

ADC student is not like the student discount, they do verify that you are a student. Also, it would be appreciated by students if you do not attempt to exploit the system.

The decrease in regular student discounts over the last few years is probably related to such activity.

16. OneArmedScissor thread starter macrumors member

17. timestamp macrumors 6502

No worries. I just know there are many people to attempt to exploit the system.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I bought a PM G4 using student ADC a few years ago, it's definitely the way to go if you're a student. You can cancel after the first year so all you pay is the $99 (plus the hardware cost, of course - in NZ it was a 20% discount for Pro products and 10% for consumer). I needed to fax in my student ID and a copy of my timetable so be prepared to have all your documentation ready.

And regarding your signature, I do too :)

19. astrostu macrumors 6502

Just remember that if you use the ADC discount, you are supposed to be using the machine for development and/or IT infrastructure. So don't exploit the system!

And yes, they make you fax over your current course schedule along with ID before they'll activate your account.

20. YahonMaizosz macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Hi. I am a Business Student at University of Washington. If I were to purchase the ADC for Student ($99), would Apple approved it? My friends, who were all in the Design School, got approved and they are currently planning to purchase the new Mac Pro this weekend. However, since I am a business student, would that affect my chance to get accepted?:confused:

My last question is, will there be a discount for MacBook Pro too? I am keeping my eyes on the MacBook Pro since it is more on the mobile side, although the new Mac Pro is an excellent workstation for anyone to have.:D

Thx.:)

21. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You would probably be accepted, as they don't check your major...though yes, you're supposed to be using it for development. The discount is for any system, so yes for a MBP too.

22. Norco macrumors regular

I don't know if they'll give a discount to a Husky, I heard they charge more if you tell them you go to UW. jk, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if you applied, not to mention you have nothing to lose as you are legitimately a student anyways.

p.s. Go Beavs

23. YahonMaizosz macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Thx Guys! It seems like I have some hope after all.. 1 last question how much would the discount usually be? I am planning to buy the 17" MacBook Pro after the update.

Thx.:)

24. peterjun macrumors member

sucked.. I paid for my ADC Student membership about 5 months ago - activated it and everything. However, I recently graduated and was waiting to save my membership discount on the new mac pro. Tried placing an order but they rejected it...

25. Norco macrumors regular

Was there any message as to why it was rejected? That seems really odd as I would assume your subscription would be 1-year from when you activated it, and should still technically get that discount.