Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airdrop-250x250.jpg
Apple's AirDrop feature lets you wirelessly send and receive files between nearby Macs as well as to and from local iOS devices. It's usually accessed from the sidebar of an open Finder Window (or using the Command + Shift + R keyboard shortcut within Finder), but here we're going to share with you a trick that enables you to launch AirDrop straight from your Mac's Dock.

Having the AirDrop shortcut in your Dock will allow you to access it from any screen, regardless of the application you're using, and without having to open a Finder window first. Regular AirDrop users in particular should appreciate the convenience it provides.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Add an AirDrop Shortcut to Your Mac's Dock

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
Thanks for the tip. I share files back and forth with my iPad all the time.

Same, I share mostly photos from my iPhone to my iMac but I ethernet the iMac to the router so it's a pain having to turn the WiFi on and off every time I want to share a file.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I haven’t tried to use Airdrop in quite some time because I always had trouble connecting. I don’t know if it was the device I was trying to send from (usually my iPhone) or the devices I was trying to send a file to (usually pictures, sometimes a video) but it wasn’t reliable for me. Something wouldn’t work and I had no indication of what one side or the other, or both, didn’t like. This wasn’t 100% of the time but it was easily greater than 50%. I was either at home-so all the devices were on my home network or at a friends house/apartment where I had access to their WiFi. Bluetooth for all devices was on as well. Not sure what network Airdrop uses but it’s been years since I even bothered trying.

IVYHILL

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012

airdrop-250x250.jpg
Apple's AirDrop feature lets you wirelessly send and receive files between nearby Macs as well as to and from local iOS devices. It's usually accessed from the sidebar of an open Finder Window (or using the Command + Shift + R keyboard shortcut within Finder), but here we're going to share with you a trick that enables you to launch AirDrop straight from your Mac's Dock.

Having the AirDrop shortcut in your Dock will allow you to access it from any screen, regardless of the application you're using, and without having to open a Finder window first. Regular AirDrop users in particular should appreciate the convenience it provides.

[doublepost=1527258466][/doublepost]This would be really useful if you could just drop your file there and a pop up asked you who you wanted to send it to. And maybe a pop up after it's finished sending too. Hopefully they improve upon that with 10.14.

unsharptooth

Suspended
Nov 19, 2017
[doublepost=1527258466][/doublepost]This would be really useful if you could just drop your file there and a pop up asked you who you wanted to send it to. And maybe a pop up after it's finished sending too. Hopefully they improve upon that with 10.14.
Yu can select the files, right click > share > Airdrop. You’ll get a pop up listing nearby devices and progress when sending.

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
Yu can select the files, right click > share > Airdrop. You’ll get a pop up listing nearby devices and progress when sending.
Well..., at first I thought it could be a convenient way to share not just files. Airdropping an URL from Safari is easy, but not in other browsers.
Then, I realized that it's as easy as dragging the selected URL to desktop; a file is created, and "right click/share" offers Airdrop. A selected text makes a clip when dragged off... and Airdrop is again easily to reach...
So... I can't see a big gain neither, and I understand why the app is where it intendedly is.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If you're running Alfred (which you should because it's awesome), you just bring up the search window with your hotkey and type "airdrop" and hit return.

Amiriteoramirite

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
Not sure I understand how this streamlines workflow. Dragging a file to the dock seems like more work than just ctrl+click -> share -> airdrop. What am I missing?
I agree with you. I just use two fingers on my touch pad when selecting a file, and Airdrop is one of my options. I see no reason whatsoever to add clutter to the Dock.

Reactions: martyjmclean

airdrop-250x250.jpg

That's MacRumours!

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
Not sure I understand how this streamlines workflow. Dragging a file to the dock seems like more work than just ctrl+click -> share -> airdrop. What am I missing?

It interrupts normal workflow. Plus, if you don't know the right shortcuts, good luck doing it at all.

To put it another way, nothing is easier or more intuitive than drag and drop.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I guess this is only available in 10.13.
I'm running 10.11 and can't upgrade...:oops:
Nice to know, though.
Yes, it works on 10.11. From Use AirDrop to send content from your Mac:
AirDrop system requirements

To send items to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or to receive items from those devices, you need a 2012 or later Mac model with OS X Yosemite or later, excluding the Mac Pro (Mid 2012).

To send items to another Mac, you need:
  • MacBook Pro (Late 2008) or later, excluding the MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2008)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010) or later
  • MacBook (Late 2008) or later, excluding the white MacBook (Late 2008)
  • iMac (Early 2009) or later
  • Mac Mini (Mid 2010) or later
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
drag-airdrop-to-dock-800x500.jpg

Sorry, but, going to the opening ...What about the other apps?
(the screenshot also shows a shortcut to iCloud Drive in dock already)

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
I agree with you. I just use two fingers on my touch pad when selecting a file, and Airdrop is one of my options. I see no reason whatsoever to add clutter to the Dock.

I do. I'm always using AirDrop to quickly get things from my iPhone onto my iMac (usually photos).
Airdrop has improved since release but sometimes the iPhone just doesn't see the Mac.
If I open the airdrop folder on the Mac it seems to nudge it awake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.