How to Add an AirDrop Shortcut to Your Mac's Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 25, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple's AirDrop feature lets you wirelessly send and receive files between nearby Macs as well as to and from local iOS devices. It's usually accessed from the sidebar of an open Finder Window (or using the Command + Shift + R keyboard shortcut within Finder), but here we're going to share with you a trick that enables you to launch AirDrop straight from your Mac's Dock.

Having the AirDrop shortcut in your Dock will allow you to access it from any screen, regardless of the application you're using, and without having to open a Finder window first. Regular AirDrop users in particular should appreciate the convenience it provides.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Add an AirDrop Shortcut to Your Mac's Dock

2. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

3. pete2106 macrumors regular

pete2106

I wouldn't have thought so. Probably just a shortcut to the AirDrop section of the finder.

4. rubberfish macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I share files back and forth with my iPad all the time.

5. pete2106 macrumors regular

pete2106

Same, I share mostly photos from my iPhone to my iMac but I ethernet the iMac to the router so it's a pain having to turn the WiFi on and off every time I want to share a file.

6. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

I haven’t tried to use Airdrop in quite some time because I always had trouble connecting. I don’t know if it was the device I was trying to send from (usually my iPhone) or the devices I was trying to send a file to (usually pictures, sometimes a video) but it wasn’t reliable for me. Something wouldn’t work and I had no indication of what one side or the other, or both, didn’t like. This wasn’t 100% of the time but it was easily greater than 50%. I was either at home-so all the devices were on my home network or at a friends house/apartment where I had access to their WiFi. Bluetooth for all devices was on as well. Not sure what network Airdrop uses but it’s been years since I even bothered trying.

7. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

This is actually really useful for me. Thank you for this tip!

AirDrop is one of macOS’ best features... (when it works)

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not sure I understand how this streamlines workflow. Dragging a file to the dock seems like more work than just ctrl+click -> share -> airdrop. What am I missing?

9. IVYHILL macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, May 25, 2018 ---
    This would be really useful if you could just drop your file there and a pop up asked you who you wanted to send it to. And maybe a pop up after it's finished sending too. Hopefully they improve upon that with 10.14.

10. unsharptooth macrumors newbie

unsharptooth

Yu can select the files, right click > share > Airdrop. You’ll get a pop up listing nearby devices and progress when sending.

11. Saipher macrumors regular

Saipher

Thank you MacRumors, these tips articles are very helpful. :)

12. J.Gallardo macrumors regular

J.Gallardo

Well..., at first I thought it could be a convenient way to share not just files. Airdropping an URL from Safari is easy, but not in other browsers.
    Then, I realized that it's as easy as dragging the selected URL to desktop; a file is created, and "right click/share" offers Airdrop. A selected text makes a clip when dragged off... and Airdrop is again easily to reach...
    So... I can't see a big gain neither, and I understand why the app is where it intendedly is.

13. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

14. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

If you're running Alfred (which you should because it's awesome), you just bring up the search window with your hotkey and type "airdrop" and hit return.

15. Amiriteoramirite macrumors newbie

Amiriteoramirite

I agree with you. I just use two fingers on my touch pad when selecting a file, and Airdrop is one of my options. I see no reason whatsoever to add clutter to the Dock.

16. SurferPup macrumors member

SurferPup

That's MacRumours!

17. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

18. splogue macrumors 6502

splogue

It interrupts normal workflow. Plus, if you don't know the right shortcuts, good luck doing it at all.

To put it another way, nothing is easier or more intuitive than drag and drop.

19. Unggoy Murderer macrumors 6502

Receiving files. One-click access to the interface, rather than two (Finder > AirDrop in sidebar). Not much, but it's handy. :)

20. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

100% agree with this! Most people just probably send and not receive files so it may not be that useful to them.

21. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

I guess this is only available in 10.13.
    I'm running 10.11 and can't upgrade...:oops:
    Nice to know, though.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it works on 10.11. From Use AirDrop to send content from your Mac:

23. J.Gallardo macrumors regular

J.Gallardo

[​IMG]

Sorry, but, going to the opening ...What about the other apps?
    (the screenshot also shows a shortcut to iCloud Drive in dock already)

24. Seoras macrumors regular

Seoras

I do. I'm always using AirDrop to quickly get things from my iPhone onto my iMac (usually photos).
    Airdrop has improved since release but sometimes the iPhone just doesn't see the Mac.
    If I open the airdrop folder on the Mac it seems to nudge it awake.