Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
How do you do this?

Everytime I drag the Applications folder from the left side of the Finder window to the dock, I just see a poof of smoke and nothing gets added to the dock BUT the Applications folder from the left side of the Finder window disappears!!

Am I doing the dragging/dropping wrong or something? I've tried to add it to the right hand side of the dock (the side by the Trash can), and it still does the same thing.

Thanks

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
You can't drag it from the left menu bar since that's a shortcut to begin with. Click on Macintosh HD. You should see an applications folder. Click on it and drag it down. It will get added to the dock

eV

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
eVolcre said:
You can't drag it from the left menu bar since that's a shortcut to begin with. Click on Macintosh HD. You should see an applications folder. Click on it and drag it down. It will get added to the dock

eV

OHH.. i see.. thanks for that

just to note: windows allows shiortcut dragging/dropping :p

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
dalvin200 said:
OHH.. i see.. thanks for that

just to note: windows allows shiortcut dragging/dropping :p

If you have an alias (shortcut) to a file, you may drag the alias to the dock. It seems to just not work with the items in the finder window sidebar.

MotorcycleBetty

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
I've had my applications folder in my dock since buying my MacBook several months ago. Today I was helping a friend with his new MacBook, and I deleted it from the dock so I could show him how to put it back, only when I put it back, it's got the wrong icon! It displays correctly when I click on it, but how do I get the correct icon back? I tried 3 times, and this happens every time.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
What do you mean the wrong icon? It's uses whatever the first app in the folder is as the icon.

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
It used to show me a folder with an A in it. Now it shows an application (program) icon.

Here you go :)
20080918-mbu9u3ta84kjsy9qkw3q16tnyc.jpg

MotorcycleBetty

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
OK, so it worked great for ME, but my friend came back and his right click menu does not have the options mine does (he's got a brand new MBP Leopard ver 10.5). "Sort by" is on a sub-menu, "Display as" isn't there at all, and "View Content" isn't there at all. Why is his right-click menu different from mine, and how can I get around this so his applications icon displays correctly?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
OK, so it worked great for ME, but my friend came back and his right click menu does not have the options mine does (he's got a brand new MBP Leopard ver 10.5). "Sort by" is on a sub-menu, "Display as" isn't there at all, and "View Content" isn't there at all. Why is his right-click menu different from mine, and how can I get around this so his applications icon displays correctly?

Tell him to update his system. Those options for stacks came in 10.5.something. I can't remember which update version, but I think it was 10.5.2 update.

MotorcycleBetty

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
That's an easy solution! I told him to update his system last week right after he bought it...I told him again yesterday. I will tell him again tomorrow. Thank you.

brandaopj

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Portugal
now i want to do the same effect in utilities folder inside apps that is already in dock... how can i do this? because when i open utilities it open a window with finder

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Dead thread revival alert! :p but I'll answer anyway. Just open a Finder window, navigate to your Applications folder and then scroll down to where the Utilities folder is. Don't open the utilities folder, just click and hold on the folder and then drag it into the Dock. To adjust the folder's display settings just follow the instructions discussed previously, some time ago ;) , in this thread.

brandaopj

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Portugal
but i want a utilities stack inside the apps stack. Other thing is the size of window that opens with the stack of apps... is it possible to choose the size?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
That's an easy solution! I told him to update his system last week right after he bought it...I told him again yesterday. I will tell him again tomorrow. Thank you.
Hope she got him/her a hearing aid! ;)

but i want a utilities stack inside the apps stack. Other thing is the size of window that opens with the stack of apps... is it possible to choose the size?
Same right click on the Applications Stack... choose View content as List

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona

I'm guessing you want to be able to look inside of the Utilities folder from within the Applications folder's Stack display. This is only possible in Snow Leopard (OX X 10.6.x). In Leopard you could do as stated above and change the display type to List and you can view inside subfolders in the Stack.

brandaopj

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Portugal
I'm guessing you want to be able to look inside of the Utilities folder from within the Applications folder's display.

yes thats what i want. but when i am inside apps folder launched from the dock i cant select the options to choose the view of utilities folder... how can i set the utilities to appear as the apps folder in the dock?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm guessing you want to be able to look inside of the Utilities folder from within the Applications folder's Stack display.
What? :confused:

...but when i am inside apps folder launched from the dock i cant select the options to choose the view of utilities folder ...how can i set the utilities to appear as the apps folder in the dock?

1st part: Launched, meaning you've now opened your Applications folder in a Finder window?

2nd part: The way that's written, it could be rephrased as: "How can I set the Utilities (folder?) to look like the Applications folder in the Dock?" But somehow, I don't think that's what you mean. However, I can't get past that interpretation and divine some other intent. Sorry if I'm being dense. If you don't have the answer you want, could you clarify the question?

brandaopj

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Portugal
ok... i will try to clarify

from the dock i launch application folder and it opens in dock as a folder with the several apps i have (not in finder) from that new window with the apps i want to open the folders with that window effect from the dock and not in finder...

For example the i want to open apps and then the folder microsoft office 2008 but see the microsoft programs in dock and not in finder

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Sorry, I'm not getting it.

from the dock i launch application folder and it opens in dock...
Please use some term besides "launch". Describe your action: I right click on... and then... happens, or whatever you're doing. Then, clarify "opens in Dock". Things don't open in the Dock, they open in Finder or some other application. The Dock is only that strip of icons at the bottom (or side) of the screen. Sorry if that's too basic, but I'm trying to understand so I can help you.

opens... as a folder with the several apps i have (not in finder) from that new window...
You have almost perfectly described a Finder window. Finder is an application that interfaces between you and the CPU. It allows you to see your folders and files in windows on the Desktop. Apologies again, just trying to get somewhere.

with the apps i want to open the folders with that window effect from the dock and not in finder...
What this describes is not possible. Maybe what you want is possible, but it's not being described with the terminology you're using. It might be necessary to have pictures, but I can't tell you how to do that.

If someone else is understanding this, please help! I don't need to understand if bandaopj gets a solution, but I'm baffled.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

from the dock i launch application folder and it opens in dock as a folder with the several apps i have (not in finder) from that new window with the apps i want to open the folders with that window effect from the dock and not in finder...

For example the i want to open apps and then the folder microsoft office 2008 but see the microsoft programs in dock and not in finder

You can't open a stack within a stack. The effect you're referring to only occurs in a stack that is on the Dock.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona

What you want can only be done in 2 ways, depending on which OS you have.

On Leopard, right click on the Applications folder in the Dock and select List from the View Content As options. Anything inside the Applications folder will display in a List. You cannot change the display options for any folders within the Applications folder, they will retain whatever view you have set for the Applications folder in the Dock.

On Snow Leopard you have a 2nd option. You can change the display option to Grid in the View Content As options for the Applications folder. Now when you scroll to where the Utilities folder is in that Grid you can click on it and then all the programs in the Utilities folder will display in a new Grid.

And as far as your last question about controlling the size of the Grid display, I don't think you can, the system just determines it on its own.

I hope this helps clarify what you want and how to achieve it. If not, then I and all the rest here really have no clue what you want. Good luck. :)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
What you want can only be done in 2 ways, depending on which OS you have.
I was gonna get to that, after I understood the question. To the Original Poster of this question we're trying to decipher: always provide your OS version when you're asking a question about how something works on your computer!

Kudos to MM76 for providing answers for two versions!

On Leopard, right click on the Applications folder in the Dock and select List from the View Content As options.
Just highlighting this again, as it was the first thing I suggested to this poster, and deserves a thumbs up or thumbs down to help us out.

bluebottle

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
On Snow Leopard you have a 2nd option. You can change the display option to Grid in the View Content As options for the Applications folder. Now when you scroll to where the Utilities folder is in that Grid you can click on it and then all the programs in the Utilities folder will display in a new Grid.

Thanks for this, was also very useful for me as I had the same problem/need

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.