Add Tags to Front Page and iOS/Mac Blogs?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by appleguy123, Jul 17, 2012.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think it would be really useful if tags were added to the items featured on this site. Especially when people are mentioned in stories. For example, there could be a Bertrand Serlet tag that when clicked would show the news stories featuring him making fun of Vista, leaving Apple, joining the cloud startup, and joining parallels board. The tag Randall Stephenson could show all the stories of him screwing over AT&T customers.

The tags could even feature specific products, like how the buyer's guide works. In general, I think that it would drastically increase the usability of the site and I hope that it gets added.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I see nothing wrong with your idea but I'll point out that you can already go to subsites based on tags assigned by the editors:

and probably others I forgot to include.

For specific content in news stories you can of course use Google searches like "Bertrand Serlet site:www.macrumors.com".

Is your suggestion that more tags be assigned by the editors or that tags be assigned by users, as users can do for forum threads?

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Ya, accessibility to our archive posts could be far better. I'll look into it.

arn

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I suggest that editors, and maybe moderators create the tags.

Since some "tagged" sites already exist for basic products, maybe you could link them somewhere in the stories as an interim solution to see how it's liked?

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I understand your idea and I realize that it's a matter of opinion whether news-by-product links would be useful with each story or whether they'd add unnecessary clutter. We used to have tagged links (to matching Mac Guides) under news stories, but they were eliminated in the site redesign that gave the news pages a much cleaner look. So news stories still have direct links to related news stories but no longer have tag links.

By the way, most of the links I listed above are in the "Rumors by Product" box on the news pages, so they should be easy for most site visitors to find.