Add"Theming" Ability in App

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Blakeasd, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2009
    I am ready to submit an app to the App Store. Before I did I decided I wanted to add the ability for the user to be able to "skin" my app like Google Chrome.
    How can I achieve this?
  2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

Nov 25, 2005
    Don't. How much effort is it? How many more buyers will you get? How many bugs will you introduce? If someone watches a friend using your app, will they recognise it on the App Store? Do _one_ nice design.
  3. Blakeasd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2009
    I think you might be right. It would probably make my app 10 times slower.
  4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Gnasher is probably right, it adds a lot of work for you and most users might think it's cool - but wouldn't miss it if it never was there.

I did spend some time doing a skinned app that used swfs for the UI. Probably a performance hog, but was cool to play with. I never tried with a very animated swf, that could have been fun.
  5. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2004
    I haven't really played with Interface Builder or Cocoa in a while (I'm learning Qt and usually work in Win Forms/C# & but on the dev platforms I'm familiar with its rather trivial to set colors or overlay bmps and other images over your window object. I think that stuff is cool for music players web browsers and similar apps but skinning something like Photoshop or Final Cut Pro wouldn't make much sense ;).