Addiction to the internet 'is an illness'

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is a bit depressing and I'm sure that most of us can recognise ourselves in some of this...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/mar/23/news.internet

New evidence shows that heavy users suffer isolation, fatigue and withdrawal symptoms.

The need for better computers? We're all doomed in that instance.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

At least I know why I feel the way I do now :eek:

Maybe I need to go to a support group
    Wait, isn't that what MR is?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

It may seem silly to you but any addiction is an illness. Whether your drug is illicit, exercise, the internet, sexual, whatever it may be... The body becomes dependent on some action or object and begins to rely on it for basic functionality, I'd call that an illness...:eek:

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I think nearly everything that causes any level of stimulation could lead to addiction. Chemical or mental (which in and of itself creates brain chemistry differences)

Its all about how you choose to wire your mind.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Didn't we go through this not too long ago? Bottom line is most things done in excess is an addiction, whether it is good for you or not. It's all about self-regulation.

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I don't know; I'm too fatigued. And now you're getting argumentative. :D

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'd call that self-discipline. Unfortunately, not many in first world countries have it. Who can blame them when everything is handed to us?

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

crap. i fit all the symptoms. I hope my parents don't see this...

9. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I wouldn't say its an addiction but a vital role in todays world. I mean its not necessarily a bad thing. We can communicate people easier than ever with instant messaging, social networking sites, and email. It also enables us to learn a lot about things we like, for example Apple Computers.

My name is Erik and I am addicted to my computer.

Not really, I've gone over a week without using a computer without any issues

10. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Especially all those CEO's. Everything was handed to them, it wasn't because they worked hard.
    :rolleyes:

11. Tankgunk macrumors regular

Tankgunk

· Excessive use, often associated with a loss of sense of time or a neglect of basic drives;

Nope. I still eat, use the restroom, etc. And I definitely have a sense of time when on the computer. Never up till 1:00, usually in bed by 11:00. Not so lucky with the ones below.

· Withdrawal, including feelings of anger, tension and/or depression when the computer is inaccessible;

To a slight degree, maybe just a little bit of depression. Only anger if someone stole my MBP. It's hard to tell as we've never been separated.

· The need for better computers, more software, or more hours of use;

I do own a MBP, so like the rest of us, I'm doomed. But my need for more software is met by open source. Also, it's terribly hard to get more computer use than I get now, so more hours isn't a problem.

· Negative repercussions, including arguments, lying, poor achievement, social isolation and fatigue.

Hey, the social isolation started before the computers (first grade). And I still have good grades and stay more awake in class than any male in my school. Ack, I do have short debates about physics and logic in general with a certain friend, but it's all in good humor.

Anyway, I think I would be diagnosed "at risk". Besides, I'm not addicted so much to the internet as I am the computer in general. You know you have problems when you have a shirt that reads "Keep Out of Direct Sunlight", and you take it totally seriously.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hmmm, I may suffer from this. I better do more research on internet addiction............via the internet.

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I am definitely addicted to the internet. I can't go more than a day without it.:eek::eek::eek:
    LOL

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Pshh, I was just without internet for three days, and I was fine.... mostly.

No problems there, I'm happy with what the computer and software I have and happy with the time I spend on the internet.
    I must say, I was getting a little anxious on the third day, but it's all good now.:)

15. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

likewise :p

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've gone with the internet for about 3-4 weeks. Not that I missed it with the missus attention on me. ;)

17. c073186 macrumors 6502a

haha; Yes - the cure for an internet addiction should be an online support group.

I do get angry when I cannot access the Internet - but that usually is because my computer is messed up. So I'm not so much angry at my inability to reach the internet but more so the fact that my computer does not always cooperate (well, now that I only use a Mac that happens rarely, but in the past...)

18. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Damn, I hope my mom doesn't see this. She'd throw this Dell out the window.

Most of you would say that that's a good thing, but she wouldn't get another, and this PowerBook has to go back to the school at the end of the year. We're gonna give it to an ancient nun that's been teaching for like fifty-five years and who won't have a computer of her own.

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

What? Am I the only one satisfied with his once-every-four-years upgrade cycle?

I'm an outcast even in Mac circles D:

20. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Uh oh don't let my mom read this!

Does need for the latest phones make me sick???

I better get offline to make it look like Im totally normal...

21. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

100% true.

I remember moving into a new place a few months back and so of course there was no internet for a few weeks and I was DYING. I was angry, depressed, etc. Not only do I need the internet for my work, but I also NEED to check MR regularly!

22. OnlyMarcusCannn macrumors regular

YIKES! :eek: I have all these symptoms! Better go check out WebMD!:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, if being "addicted" to the internet is an illness, then so be it, I don't think it would be all that bad of an illness, quite frankly (unless, of course, there are health problems). There's a lot of things that the internet is helpful for--finding apartments/homes, school studies, researching cars, etc.--and, IMO, it's a great pass time. I'm sure my mom would MUCH rather me on my Mac playing Starcraft (yes, I still play that :p), then to be out smoking and being one of those wild teens getting into car accidents. :cool:

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Meh, not a problem for me, I can quit at any time.

(twitches)

24. angelneo macrumors 68000

Getting DVT from sitting in front of the computers too long seems extreme, don't we shift around or stretch instinctively? We are not talking about cramped areas...

25. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I think someone alone with internet access isn't going to be neglecting at least some of their "basic drives"... if you know what I mean. ;)