Adding a line to upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrmines12, Jun 4, 2010.

1. jrmines12 macrumors newbie

So I know that this is a really round about process but I'm pondering doing it just so that I can save the money now and basically pay it as my bill cycles come up. I currently have a family plan with 2 lines and I'm pondering adding a 3rd as neither of my current lines are available to upgrade. If I add a line I would be paying an additional 10.00/month but I would get the new commitment pricing on the new iPhone (199/299 assuming of course) rather than having to pay an additional 200.00 up front. So basically what I'm asking is besides adding 10.00 to my monthly plan are there any flaws in my thinking on this?

Just looking for some honest input before I commit to this. Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yeah, you'll have to pay for data on the phone too. So add at least another 15 for that.

3. jrmines12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would be using my number which currently has data as a feature on it because I had an iPhone 3GS up until just recently, the added line would be plain jane and would just be unused.

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Well remember the new ETF is 325. I'm adding a line to upgrade but my gf is legit gonna use it with my 3GS. Even I'm hesitant to sign a contract with a ETF that high. Wouldn't you be better off just paying the early upgrade or full price?

5. jrmines12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't be terminating the contract on any line, I would just have an extra line on my account that would be unused, I know its a waste of a line but 10/month instead of 200 extra to buy the phone on my current line sounds much better to me at this point in time

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Your logic is flawed.

As others pointed out, it would be at LEAST $25/month. You'll have to pay that for 24 months ($600), or face the ETF of $325 (maybe a bit cheaper since it will now decrease by a certain amount each month, there is certainly a prime break-even point that could be calculated using algebra). EDIT: I just did the math out, it's cheapest to cancel right after starting the line, which will cost you $325+$25 = $350. Therefore, even if the new iPhone costs $199 with a new line, in reality it will cost you $549.99, and that's without taxes/fees. In other words, it's cheaper to use the semi-early upgrade discount and get the new iPhone for $399 or $499, again, unless you do NOT qualify for any sort of upgrade discount and are forced to pay $599 or $699 anyways.

That said, it would be cheaper to pay for the early upgrade cost of a new iPhone ($399, $499) rather than pay for the new iPhone with new line ($199) and then either the $600 or $325 on top of that. And it would save you a lot of headaches. The only time it MIGHT be worth considering is if you JUST bought a new iPhone and you don't qualify for the early upgrade cost, which means you'll be shelling out at least $500-600+ for a new iPhone.

7. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Or call and check what your termination fee is right now. Unfortunately my upgrade date changed from 6/7/10 to 9/7/10, but I want to get mine when they are released. My current contract termination fee is at $95...cheaper than paying the additional $200 for an early upgrade.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

That won't apply to him because the policy is becoming much more straightforward - it went into effect June 1st. The ETF will be as I calculated above. Furthermore, he can't call now to determine cancellation because he doesn't have the line yet. If that only applies to new contracts, you are correct - if his current iPhone plan is decently aged then the ETF won't be as expensive as listed above, but it will be in the ball-park of an early upgrade iPhone. Thus, why go through the trouble of all of this to save a few bucks?

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

As long as you don't cancel any number and you do exactly as you say, nothing wrong with that logic at all. I did the same thing (but mine only has a $175 ETF so I'll cancel it soon). You are basically paying $240 over the 24 months of the contract on that line if you cancel it after 24 months.

Also, I've been told, on a family plan you can cancel a contract, but swap numbers around so that you cancel the contract with the lowest ETF and keep your primary number. I haven't tried this yet though....but that was my original plan.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

You will lose your number though if you terminate your contract and I believe you have to wait 90 days or so after your contract is terminated to receive subsidized pricing.

12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I just want to point out that it is $600 over 24 months and NOT $240. It's the minimum data plan + line cost ($25 per month). That might sway your decision. Please note the ETF new policy went into effect days ago. Not sure if it affects no contracts, or only new contracts, but also keep that in mind!

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I just want to point out that you're not paying attention.

1) Buy new phone on new line.
    2) Swap new phone to existing line with data plan.
    3) Cancel data plan on new line.

Done.

14. azsprty macrumors 6502

This is correct, everyone else is wrong.

15. jrmines12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you to Geckotek and azsprty for reading into and understanding my plan correctly, now I would like to poise a question to Geckotek, did you have any issues in this process when you did it, and how did you set everything up in the beginning, like how soon did you cancel the data plan?

16. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

You can't terminate your contract and resign up. You'd have to wait at least 90 days to sign a new contract. You'll also lose your number.

It'd be cheaper just to pay the early upgrade price. Its $200 more for the early upgrade, instead of $240 for 2 years of a new line.

17. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Wow almost nobody reads here. Just do what Geckotek said

18. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Okay ... but you're still facing activation fees for the new line, you still have an ETF (unless you really want to shell out the remaining price of the line per month).

You're also forgetting AT&T isn't stupid. If they realize that you are STOPPING the payment of a data plan on one line, they may question why, as that is part of the contract, and therefore push the ETF upon you. Just maybe something you should inquire about ahead of time. Basically, if you are basically maintaining the line in which an iPhone once resided, and then changing the terms of the contract, then they may be allowed to charge you for a full ETF. Remember, the ETF is basically payback for the lost money AT&T put forward to subsidize the phone. This and other measures are there for a reason - to prevent people like you from doing what you're doing.

19. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

What's the best way to do it: by going in to AT&T store or calling CS?

20. elephunkman macrumors 65816

What don't you understand about the OP's post??? He will still have data on the other line anyway because this is just like using another line's upgrade eligibility to get him an iPhone. If he decides to not add a line, only one of the two lines has data. If he adds a line and removes the data, he will still only have one line for data. Either way, he just wants to be left with the iPhone 4 on his number.

21. elephunkman macrumors 65816

In store. When you cancel the data, just bring in a dumbphone which you want to use with that line and they will readily remove the plan from it. OR you can call CS and have them do it. I just prefer in store because they print you out a receipt saying they removed it so you have proof.

22. azsprty macrumors 6502

I added the line and switched the sim over I removed the data plan from new line so I only paid 9.99. AT&T did everything for me

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

To be honest, I don't recall. I'm pretty sure I swapped SIMs right away so the phone would work on my current number. I think I made my rate changes within a few days.

Honestly, AT&T doesn't care. Their only requirement is that you have a data plan on each iPhone activated. If that's only one iPhone on your primary line, then that's all you need. As soon as your old iPhone is activated on someone else's line, they'll have to get a data plan.

24. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I am not sure if this is mentioned, but you also have to remember that you may have to put down a deposit for the new line. I have been an AT&T (Cingular when I signed up) for years - always paying my bill on time, and when I wanted to add a line to my account for my younger brother, they wanted a deposit even though there were already two lines on the account.

I believe you may be able to find out before hand if you would have to put anything down by calling or going into an AT&T.

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

READ MY LIPS - I'VE DONE THIS.....AT&T DIDN'T CARE.

But yes, there will be an activation fee. That's never been in question here.

I added my line in an Apple store. I called AT&T later to cancel the data plan.