Adding object to dictionary and releasing memory.

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Marimuthu, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Marimuthu macrumors member

Hi All,

My environment is Snow leopard 10.6.6 I am using Xcode for developing an application. I am relatively new to Cocoa programming.

Wanted to know if it is correct to release an memory of an object immediately after the object has been set within an dictionary.

I have provided the code snipped to illustrate the same.

NSMutableDictionary *tempDic = [NSMutableDictionary dictionaryWithDictionary:dictionary1];//dictionary1 is some source dictionary.

NSButton *button = [[NSButton alloc]initWithFrame:currentRect];//rect of some size .
    [tempDic setObject:button forKey:BUTTON_OBJ];
    [button release];//Can I call release here after assigning to Dictionary.

Here after setting the button object to tempDic, I am releasing the object's memory. I plan to use the button object somewhere else. This code works as expected (i mean else where I am able to access the button object form the dictionary and it is valid).

Is what i am doing right or should I not release the button object as the same reference is being set to the dictionary also?

2. Toreddo, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

Toreddo macrumors member

Yes this is right, but if this is the only button you want to access from a different method then this is not the right way to do it. You should then just declare the button outside of the method.

EDIT: Sorry for the disinformation.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

NSButton doesn't have any class methods, and no class method initWithFrame. No class would ever have a class method starting with "init".

4. Marimuthu thread starter macrumors member

Hi gnasher729,

If i understand you correctly, I should not be calling [[NSButton alloc]initWithFrame:currentRect]; at all as it would be incorrect. Is it so.

I think I have not understood Toreddo's comments completely.

I have illustrated using an NSButton object, it could be an NSImage or any class which has been allocated an memory.

NSButton *button = [[NSButton alloc]initWithFrame:currentRect];//rect of some size .
    [tempDic setObject:button forKey:BUTTON_OBJ];
    [button release];//Can I call release here after assigning to Dictionary.

In the code above, is it legal/correct to (after setting the object onto a dictionary) release the object. Will it not make the dictionary's reference of the object illegal?.

Sorry if the answer is obvious though not to me :).

5. rossipoo macrumors regular

All containers retain any objects inserted in them, as do any views to which you add subviews like buttons; as long as your method or object no longer needs a reference to the button you can release your ownership of the button. The button will stay around as long as there is a view displaying it.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Code:
    [[NSButton alloc]initWithFrame:currentRect];
    is absolutely correct. Toreddo posted that you should use

Code:
    [NSButton initWithFrame:currentRect];
    which was incorrect and which he since deleted, causing this confusion.