Adding RAM to mid 2007 black macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by furiousfap, Jun 27, 2010.

1. furiousfap macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm trying to play counterstrike on this laptop and it doesn't seem like 1GB RAM is enough. I looked it up on apple and it says this macbook only supports up to 2GB RAM and comes with 1GB RAM (two 512MB). Do I need to purchase two 1GB RAM or just use one 2GB RAM? Also, is there any specific brands or models you guys can recommend me?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

I Put two 2GB stick in my blackbook 2.16 but only 3GB is addressable. Works like a charm and has since been handed down to one of my daughters... Although she managed to get fingerprint stains on it in only 3 days of use! :eek: So much for keeping things nice for the kids.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Go to www.crucial.com and check out which RAM your MacBook can use. I'm quite sure the 2007 MacBooks can hold 4 GB of RAM. Apple tends to report numbers that were correct at the time and never change them; for example if 2GB chips were awfully expensive in 2007 so that nobody would have considered buying them then Apple would say that 2 x 1GB is the max and never upgrade that number when the price goes down.

Crucial is not the cheapest, but not far off the cheapest _reliable_ supplier and they sell RAM specifically for each computer model, so you know you get the right RAM (and if you don't, it is _their_ fault, not yours).

5. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I went through 3 returns with Crucial for 2x2Gb for my 2.4Ghz black macbook. The individual 2Gb sticks were fine on their own or with one of my 1Gb sticks but 2x2Gb just didn't boot. It's supposed to support 4Gb but it definitely didn't like it. I gave up in the end.