adding two more gigs of ram to 2.4ghz MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Clandest, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Clandest macrumors member

Ok, so I have the Alum 2.4 Ghz MBP and I want to max out the amount of ram it holds. It already has 2gigs and I've heard that it can hold a max of 4gigs :)() And was wondering is it worth upgrading just 2gigs? Will there be a difference is speeds? I also plan on buying SL while I am at it. Yes I am in the upgrade performance mood for my MBP. And unlike a PC you can't really improve the performance to much other than the ram... Also, can I buy some ram on newegg or does it have to be the overpriced Apple ram? Also can I mix ram types? Since it already has 2gigs can I just buy 2 more gigs of a diff brand but same type?

Thanks!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

there are only 2 ram slots, so you have to replace your existing 2 x 1 gb with 2 x 2gb. several places to buy good ram.

3. RDM3 macrumors regular

I am asusming oyu have the 15.4 model?, I bought my RAM last week at Newegg, I bought the iRam 4 gig matched pack, 2x2, it was $75.99 free shipping, it works perfectly. It uses DDR3 PC8500

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Referring to the 'aluminium MacBook Pro' is ambiguous because the older model (pre Oct '08) and the newer design are both made from aluminium.

The older model, such as the one I've got, is being increasingly referred to as the 'MacBook Pro classic', whereas the newer ones are referred to as 'unibody MacBook Pros'.

It would be even more helpful if you were to say which revision of the MacBook Pro you're using. This can be viewed by going to  -> About This Mac -> More Info...
    It'll say MacBook Pro 3,1 (or a different first number digit), which indicates which generation you've got.

It just so happens that all of the 2.4GHz MacBook Pros have a maximum of 4GB RAM (officially), but as old-wiz said, you'll need two new RAM sticks. :rolleyes:

5. RDM3 macrumors regular

Mine states MacbookPro 5,1 I am assuming that is the latest version.

6. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I believe the 5,1 model is the October 2008 version (one generation before the current). If yours has a removable battery, it's definitely the Oct '08 model.

I think I'm right in saying that the RAM ceiling is 4GB (officially), but your MacBook Pro can support 8GB (unofficially). Actually the 3,1 model onwards is reported to support up to 8GB RAM, but there's been little testing... single 4GB laptop RAM sticks are expensive and hard to come by at the moment.

7. RDM3 macrumors regular

Yea I meant to add in there mine is the latest up to the new release. I tried to take the battery out when I upgraded the ram and I yanked the tab and it just would not come out, so I left it go and did the install and it is fine. But why is it so hard to get out?

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

8GB RAM is a no go with the Late-2008 models. 6GB will work but 8GB will definitely cause some instabilities with the OS as someone already has tried with negative results.

9. RDM3 macrumors regular

So 6gb won't be an issue?

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

In Leopard as far as testing goes. Testing for Snow Leopard hasn't been done with 8GBs on the late 2008 MacBooks/Pros.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Doubt it will work with Snow Leopard. Just off people's experience, it doesn't look like software, instead it's the hardware and chipset it uses. I wish it was software but I've come to accept the fact that it's hardware and my portable maxes out at 6GB.

12. Jaimi macrumors regular

Current MBP's can be purchased straight from the Apple store with 8GB. (for a whopping $1000 extra). So perhaps your newer model will not have a problem.