adding used iPhone to family plan. Help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by treyjustice, Aug 19, 2010.

1. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I am on a single plan with my iPhone 4. I want to buy a used iPhone 3G off craigslist for my girlfriend and add her to my plan and convert it to a family plan but I do not want to sign a two year contract for her line. Is this possible?

2. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Don't worry you are only charged for a 2-Year contract if you buy new hardware, so buy the phone, goto AT&T Corporate Store and have them activate it, then add it to your Family plan you choose, I just did that with my older son, not a problem, and I am still eligible for an upgrade on that line because it was not new hardware.

AT&T is really good at helping you

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes. Just pop in the SIM and call AT&T to have her number charged the $15 or $25 fee for data.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Edited - I guess i was wrong. I never added a phone with a new line to my plan, i had added phone to existing lines. I just read the website and it reads you need a 2 year contract for new lines. but maybe in corporate store they just do it.

5. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

okay so I just want to make sure the line i am adding does not have a contract and it can be cancelled anytime.

6. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I can confirm it is possible to buy a used iPhone and activate it without a contract as a new line!

Worked great and they are even waiving activation fees on used equipment!