Adhesive for chrome bezel

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by handy77, Mar 9, 2010.

1. handy77 macrumors newbie

i want to put new back rear cover on my 3g iphone stuck on chrome bezel how do i stick it back on wat Adhesive do i need and are there any videos show how to reassamble it

thank you

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

I use super glue gel. Clamp the bezel to the case and glue from the inside. Let all the fumes escape and glue dry before reassembling phone. Be careful to remember to put in the volume control before gluing. Don't put glue near any switches etc. Sure other people have different or better ways of doing it.

3. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Super glue works the best. I don't think any type of sticky adhesive will work as it will make a gap between the bezel and the case.

Just put it on the inside only, dont put too much glue on or it will leak out the outter side and will look hideous. Will also damage the case if you try and break the glue off no doubt.

Good luck.

P.S. Gadgetgeezer <3

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Glue?? these are not supposed to be glued in!! they screw in.

5. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Sorry but the chrome bezels are stuck onto the cases. They don't screw in.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well I did 156 last year and they all screw in!! you need to open one up before you comment!! (not trying to be a smart ass but...there are 6 screws where you mount the chrome bezel to the back when you are putting in the other parts)

now as far as the glue goes I did just talk to another shop and he said he does put super glue on all 4 corners to help it hold. not a bad idea but I have never had a problem. he said he uses a super glue pen.

7. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

OK you are right - on the 2G model yes the bezel is held on by screws.

Not on 3G or 3GS though!!!!!

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I can take a picture and post it if you really need me to but I dont work on 2g iPhones. I have a chrome bezel in my hand for a 3g and it has places to screw it down into the back in 6 different places. now, I only use apple oem parts if you are using the ones off eBay then you may be correct they might have to be glued in.

9. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Please provide pictures so we can point out how stupid you sound :D
    You are wrong, simple as that.

The only screws holding the bezel down are the ones that everything else on the iPhone uses to be screwed into. If you take these out the bezel wont just fall off the case.

You've done 154 (quite specific) yet you're still wrong. I'm glad you don't do repairs for me.

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

ok before you start name calling you need to go back and read my post... it says exactly where the frame mounts to the back. if you are using non OEM parts then you might be correct you have to glue them on. if you think you are truly buying OEM parts off eBay then that may be one of your problems. also it says I did 156 chrome bezels/backs last year not 154. it does not say anywhere in the Apple Repair Guide (oh ya I forgot to tell you I have one) or on iFixit, or even the guys on youtube does it say to use glue to put the bezel on the back. now with all of that said I guess it is possible that you have a different setup in the UK. but on the 3G and 3Gs phones here you do not need to put glue to hold the chrome bezel to the back. like I said earlier there are 6 places that is screws into the back. true oem parts and it fits and stays a tight fit. now could glue around the bezel make it more water tight?? sure!

11. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Please send me the Apple Repair Guide and I will believe you 100%. :)

That's the full repair guide please.

Every page.

pdf file fine.

12. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

13. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Lol oh right so you have an Apple repair guide. You must be correct.
    I work along side Steve Jobs and he just bought me a coffee in the break room :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for your superduper-partypooper pics to prove me wrong.
    This side of the pond is no different to your side dude. We don't have different iPhone's over here because we are in a different country.

I don't buy parts from eBay either. Although there is nothing wrong with OEM parts from eBay.
    Additionally, I've never read a guide that says anything about the bezel coming off the case...ever. All the guides I've seen on the web just tell you how to remove everything from the case. Pictures included, bezel still intact. I guess the screws are really holding that thing down huh.

14. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well enjoy your coffee!

15. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

I am wearing a genuine OEM Steve Jobs black turtle neck jumper, jeans and a pair of trainers!!!!!

16. hibmem10 macrumors newbie

Can you guys let me know what's a good website to buy the real OEM parts for the housing?

Thanks, appreciated

17. sKt macrumors newbie

dear genius

how u say there is no glue is beyond me. after "154" :rolleyes: u think u would have seen the factory glue they put around the edges and in the corners (psst...its blue if your colored blind)..u must have magical iphones from never neverland.

Does anyone know anything besides super glue?? I have seen on other post about high temp silicone adhesive but havent gotten much good results..

Thanks.

"destiny is a perception created by itself"

18. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Clamps and gentle careful superglue from the inside work for me. Mask the bezel and the case too. Take your time. Results speak for themselves - I have many happy customers. Allow all to dry for 2-3 hours else the fumes make everything go white inside. Then careful reassembly. PM me for help.

19. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

All this **** talking and no ones recommended a good adhesive to use. And yeah you need adhesive, not screws.

20. Badfoot macrumors 6502

21. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

wrong! to this day I have still not glued any on. they do not require glue! some guys do put a dab of super glue on each corner but that is it. if you are using a real apple back and not some crap you got off eBay then it will fit perfectly when you mount the hardware in. if you use the eBay crap then your on your own.

22. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Lol, dude, are you sure you don't have the Chinese iPhone? I've taken a few of them apart and they all are glued on from the manufacturer. If you don't want to believe it watch any of the tutorials of takeing apart the iphone and you'll see that you need to use a pry tool to seperate the backing form the chrome bezel. So either you A. Don't know what youre talking about and just arguing for the hell of it. B. Purpously posting wrong info. or C. you have a fake iPhone yourself that is attached by screws. Either way, the fact is that it is held together with adhesive, if you don't use adhesive then the chrome bezel won't stay on. End of discussion.

23. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

listen newbie you have no idea what you are talking about so hit the road you troll!!!!! I have never even taken a fake iPhone apart so I cant comment. obviously you have never taken a real iPhone apart. if you are using an OEM back and bezel it will not require glue or adhesive unless it is damaged in some way. and just because its on youtube doesnt mean its right.

24. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Ok buddy, thats why everyone here says youre wrong. The tutorial is from ifixit and just about every other trusted tutorial, show me one that supports your bs.

25. hectordtruong macrumors member

chargit: can you take a pic of what the heck you're talking about? the bezel for the 3G and 3GS requires glue to be attached to the back housing.