Adium/MSN SPAM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anschris, May 5, 2008.

1. anschris macrumors newbie

I have been getting pestered by p0rn spam messages coming into my Adium from random MSN users who I don't know. All of them want me to go watch their webcam. Not interested.

HOW ON BLOODY EARTH do I make Adium block all messages that come through from accounts that are NOT on my contact list? Is there NO WAY to do this? If not, I will delete the program and find something else.

Thanks!
    Andrew

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Go to Adium in the menubar, choose Privacy Settings and set your Privacy level as 'Allow only contacts on my contact list'. That should do the trick!

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

So annoying and such an easy solution.
    I was getting so fed up with those messages. Idiot fracking spammers.

Thanks for posting this you two!

4. kalex macrumors 65816

haha, thanks for the fix, I've been getting them as well and its annoying

5. trabera macrumors newbie

trabera

Man this has been driving me crazy forever and I NEVER spotted that setting! I was always looking under the Preferences...

Dur...

Thanks!

-Josh

6. carlosap macrumors newbie

Thanks men! :D no more spam

7. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

8. esphil macrumors member

I was about to go nuts, I tried to find the settings but couldn't locate it. I have got at LEAST 100 spam IM's all this week during work!!:eek:

9. bossfn macrumors newbie

Wow, +1 !!

The setting must have got reset on me when I reinstalled os x. I haven't had a problem with Adium in well over 2 years, and I was getting pretty freakin' upset over this!

A million thanks!

10. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Thanks!
    They really need to put this under preferences, I've never noticed this before as I always hit [ command - , ] :eek:

11. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Haha awesome - I was getting fed up with this. Knew there must have been an easy solution, but like others I was looking in preferences.

12. yieldtomac macrumors newbie

Umm

A simple solution is always great if it works. The accolades are rather amusing when you realize it doesn't.

13. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

Hi I am getting spam from my own contacts. What should I do? Is there a way to check if the spam is originated from me or my contacts?

14. Narcosynthesis macrumors member

If it is getting sent from one of your contacts then it will likely be their account has been borrowed by some spammers.

The new contact spammers have been driving me mad too, and only became an issue when I got my mac and adium... On my old computer I only rarely got messages like that, which has increased to many during an evening now - a problem with adium somewhere?

This should still let people try and add me when their email is unknown, just not send me a message until i accept?

15. bossfn macrumors newbie

It's unlikely their account was "borrowed" -- it's much more probable that particular contact has spyware/malware/virus on their computer which is sending messages to their contacts without their knowledge.

Luckily, you're on a Mac and most likely safe. Close the message and tell your friend to scan their computer.

16. verolynne macrumors newbie

Finally! It can end!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one!
    Thanks so much for posting this guys!

17. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Geez, ive been putting up with this for weeks. +1 for the preference panel.

18. MecPro macrumors 6502

The thing is, my friend who I got the message from this morning is ON A MAC. The problem is Adium, as I have tried the whole privacy thing before and it has NOT WORKED. :mad:

19. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

20. Kuhnaydeein macrumors newbie

"Ignoring me would be the biggest mistake you ever made sexy!"

it wouldn't be so bad, but I have Adium read ALL my incoming messages to me...

Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!! Thank You Guys!!!

21. alumac macrumors member

haha.. this is one of the reasons i stopped using adium. the other reason is that i got a new mac and never bothered installing and setting up adium.

well, maybe i'll get it again now. thanks!

22. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

Thank you! I had the same problem.

23. macintoshi macrumors 6502

macintoshi

Wrong

Well wrong, because the contact has at the momment no pc and there is no pc she be on, when the spam is comeing in adium:

14:36:20 contactisoffline@hotmail.de: http://HotPiczz.com/?user=myhotmailname&image=DSC00245.JPG ?!?

... HAHAHA!!

How to prevent this? Greetz

24. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I told Adium to only use my contacts. But it changes to "multiple privacy settings are active" and I get spam. Worse, I cannot mark such spam as Spam, with this setting.

It seems every time I restart Adium, it resets this.

25. grahamrb macrumors newbie

Thank you for this. This should so be the default setting for Adium!