Adjusting brightness control on apple cinema lcd screen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gerald McClaren, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Gerald McClaren macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone, I have an Hp Pavillion computer hooked up an Apple Cinema lcd monitor with an adapter, also, I have the calibrator Spyder 2. I would like to know how can I adjust the brightness on my apple cinema lcd monitor using the Spyder 2 calibrator.

Gerald

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

It would help if you told us which model Apple Cinema Display you own. Since you mention you use an adapter, I can only assume its either an old ADC acrylic display, or one of the new 24 or 27" displayport displays.

3. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Not sure about older ones, but the answer is you can't on the current one.

The lack of hardware controls like that, plus only having a single input, is why I won't buy the Apple Cinema display and wouldn't recommend it tio anyone. Too bad, as otherwise it's an IPS panel with LED backlighting which is basically unheard of (so far) with monitors (though not TVs obviously).

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

You most certainly can change the brightness on a windows machine, so I wouldn't go spreading false information.

However, the OP still has not told us what display he or she has, so we will have to wait and see.

5. Gerald McClaren thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the Apple Cinemaview 24 -inch Lcd Hd Display, and its hooked up to the Geffen Dvi Mini Converter.

Gerald

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I'm not spreading "false information". You absolutely should not buy this unless you're okay only using Apple hardware. Yes, you can adjust brightness...if you're inside Boot Camp. Apple does not provide drivers aside from that.

8. Gerald McClaren thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Vicentz, It is the first one. It is the Apple cinemaview 24inch lcd hd screen for $399.00. Thanks for helping.

Gerald

9. Ashok0 macrumors regular

This is completely false, Wolfpup. Not only are the Apple LED Cinema Displays 100% fully functional on PCs, the brightness can be changed on PCs from Windows without BootCamp. All you need is AppleControlPanel.exe (http://rapidshare.com/files/424506361/AppleControlPanel.zip) If you have AHCI enabled in your BIOS, you will need a bootable disc in your DVD drive i.e. Windows 7 DVD to allow the exe to run. Either way, you do NOT need a single piece of Apple hardware or Bootcamp to change brightness on Apple displays.

10. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Obviously you can use hacks, but there's no way I'm installing some random file someone threw up there, even aside from legal issues.

11. 3282868 macrumors 603

It's not a hack, it's an official .exe from the Boot Package. Here's a link to the information on Apple forums:

Adjusting brightness on win7 PC

12. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

It may be, it may be a trojan, it's presumably illegal either way. Apple doesn't provide the software you need...why, I don't know, but...

13. Ashok0 macrumors regular

1. It's not a trojan.
    2. It's an official file provided by Apple.
    3. It's available @ Apple.com. I merely posted the single file needed by PCs.
    4. It works.

14. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

No way of knowing that, given it's just some random person posting it on the internet.

It may be the real file (or not) it isn't provided by Apple.

No it isn't. Or at least I can't find it, and you didn't link to it either.

Again-yes, I'm sure you can rely on gray methods of getting it working, but why buy something like that that has no official support, when there are numerous alternatives?

15. Ashok0 macrumors regular

It's been posted on numerous video and Apple related websites and confirmed to work by dozens of users. Why so paranoid?

The file can be obtained from: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1336
    All you have to do is download BootCamp_3.1_64-bit.exe, then extract AppleControlPanel.exe from the archive using UniExtract. Or simply download the working, virus free file from the above rapidshare link.

If you consider running an APPLE CREATED APPLICATION as "gray market", that's fine... but I consider it a fully functional solution. Why not use it? It works perfectly.

16. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

That isn't being paranoid. You don't install random files from the internet.

Either method violates Apple's terms of service, at the least.

It's how you're suggesting people acquire it. Apple only provides this for Mac users.

17. Ashok0, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

Ashok0 macrumors regular

While I agree you should use discretion with downloads, many of these "random files" have been posted by forum regulars and verified by other members. Simple common sense says that there is no need for alarm and crying wolf.

Aside from a few butt hurt Apple fanboys, no one cares.

Atlona even sells a retail product over the shelf, the Atlona DP-400, explicitly for hooking up Apple LED Cinema Displays to DVI based PCs. Apple has never sued them or even hinted they have a problem with people using ACDs with PCs.

18. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Regardless, the point is I don't understand why you'd spend this much money buying a display from a company that doesn't want you as a customer. IMO the thing needs to have multiple ports and on screen controls before it makes any sense.

And I WOULD probably buy one if it did, since I want IPS + LED lighting, though honestly I'm very happy with my current 24" Dell Studio that's TN + LED.

19. Ashok0 macrumors regular

I think most people know Steve Jobs caters to Macs over PCs. Regardless, his products do work perfectly on both Macs and PCs.

Most new nVidia and AMD video cards for the PC are fully DisplayPort ready. Using them with an ACD27" makes perfect sense.

20. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Now they don't. Resorting to hacks of questionable legality isn't "working perfectly".

Many computers ship without Displayport, but that wasn't really the point-$150 monitors have multiple inputs. For the price they're charging, this ought to support at least two systems.

21. Ashok0 macrumors regular

The ACD built-in stereo speakers, iSight Camera, microphone, ambient light sensor, and brightness controls work fine on PCs with zero issues. From a hardware perspective, the ACD displays are 100.0% PC compatible. Heck, even driver based 1:1 pixel mapping works.

The only ACD difference between the Mac and PC is the deployment procedure for the OFFICIAL Apple software. On a Mac, you double click "BootCamp_3.1_64-bit.exe". On the PC, you extract the contents manually using UniExtract and double click the resulting "AppleControlPanel.exe" (the identical file that drives the ACD on Mac machines). That's it. It's absolutely not a hack, and it works. And Steve Jobs doesn't care. While it may hurt the tender feelings of insecure Apple cultists, the solution is in fact "working perfectly" in spite of your denialism.

If people are buying IPS displays for $999, I don't think its outrageous to assume they might be able to afford a DisplayPort ready video card. The JATON GeForce 210 is DP ready and is only $50. Apple chose to abandon DVI because it is inferior and would have drastically increased the thickness of the display. And considering that many new high end gaming cards from nVidia and AMD are now shipping with HDMI, DVI, and mDP, I think Apple made a wise choice.

22. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

That's the very definition of a hack.

If Apple doesn't care, why don't they post the file independently? Stick a disc in the box with support for that matter?

There is no "denialism" :rolleyes: Again, I did not say it couldn't be done, I said it isn't supported and requires a hack. Again, I have no idea why you'd buy an expensive monitor that isn't supported, and possibly can't even be used legally, and which lacks multiple inputs, when there are other alternatives.

You can't add a DisplayPort compatible video card to any PC.

It's just as good for what most people use it for, and the thickness thing is just yet another example of Apple's emphasis on looks over functionality.

23. sine-nomine macrumors regular

The OP doesn't actually have an Apple Cinema Display, so the outcome of this argument may not help.

24. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Technically, the ACD27" currently has no competitor. It is the only 27" glossy monitor on the market which supports 2560x1440. The only other known displays which have those specs are the Hazro HZ27a and Samsung SA850. Both are future products and are not currently for sale.

Huh?

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 1GB
    Ports: 1xHDMI, 2xDVI, 2xmDP

ZOTAC AMP! GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB
    Ports: 1xHDMI, 2xDVI, 1xDP

25. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

It's the only non-TV I'm aware of that uses IPS + LED, but there are many competing products, like:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=224-8284

Or really any remotely similar monitor that people might also compare.

Huh what? You can't add video cards to all systems.