MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As it has done on a monthly basis for the past several years, AdMob today released a new Mobile Metrics Report for May 2010. The report highlights worldwide trends in mobile requests to its ad network from over 23,000 mobile websites and applications.

This month's report shows continued strength for the iPhone and other iOS devices during the lead-up to the iPhone 4 launch just last week. Google, AdMob's parent company, is making strong inroads with its Android operating system, however, growing rapidly from a negligible share of the mobile ad request market only a year ago to approximately 25% today.

152829-admob_may_2010_os_share.jpg

Android's overall strength, however, results from its inclusion on a wide variety of smartphones from a variety of manufacturers. That is in contrast to Apple, which offers essentially only a single iPhone that currently leads the pack by a wide margin with nearly 40% of worldwide ad requests compared to only 6.8% for the second-place Motorola Droid.

AdMob's data also offers an interesting glimpse into the geographic distribution of Apple's "iOS" family of devices. Among the interesting pieces of data included in the report is a note that fewer than half of all iOS devices are located in North America, with 43% residing in the United States and 5% in Canada. When it comes to the iPad specifically, however, the U.S. sees a full 58% of the devices, an unsurprising result given that Apple is still working to roll the device out to its international markets.

152829-admob_may_2010_ios_distribution.jpg

In comparing iOS and Android devices, the report shows that Android is rapidly approaching the iPhone's ad request share in the U.S., with 11.2 million unique iPhones registering there during May while 8.5 million Android devices appeared on the company's network. As many have argued, however, Apple's iPod touch and iPad also contribute significantly to the "iOS ecosystem" and, while not true smartphones, should be counted in some way as important players in the mobile web and application market. Adding in iPod touch and iPad data boosts iOS devices to 19.3 million in the U.S., giving iOS a 2-to-1 advantage over Android. Worldwide, the data leans even more strongly in Apple's favor as Android has yet to catch on significantly in most international markets, with iOS devices out-numbering Android devices 3.5-to-1 on a global basis.

152826-admob_may_2010_android_ios_500.jpg

With today's release AdMob also noted that its monthly metrics reports will be going on hiatus for at least the next several months as the company looks to rethink the best way of sharing information on the rapidly-growing mobile market with the public.

Article Link: AdMob: iOS Platform Continues to Lead in Mobile Data Usage, But Android Surging

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Android is coming for Apple. :( I hope Android doesn't put its OS on an MP3 player or come out with something similar to the Touch.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Android is not surging, it's just that new iPhones can't connect...

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Really?

One would think that with AdMob being used less and less on the iOS platform...that those numbers would go down.

Is this news?

There needs to be some research that tracks all ad platforms for this to mean anything? And are ads a good way to track to begin with?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Android is going to be the mobile market leader. It's inevitable. Android phones are on all the carriers and across many different handsets. I don't think Apple cares if Android leads as long as Apple can still sell tons and tons of iOS devices with their high margins.

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
If Apple opened it up to "other" carriers in the US aside from just AT&T i guarantee that the numbers would be much higher in Apple's favor...But Apple will just not learn...

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
Android is coming for Apple. :( I hope Android doesn't put its OS on an MP3 player or come out with something similar to the Touch.

Are you serious!?!?!

Expect number of various portable / handheld devices on the market by early 2011 :)

Personally I can't wait to get out of Apple's iTunes prison and BS eco-system!

Bring it Google!

seanonymous

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Results skewed?

I wonder how much Android is being underestimated because the many Android browsers allow users to spoof client ids of iPhones and desktops to get the layout they prefer.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Android is going to be the mobile market leader. It's inevitable. Android phones are on all the carriers and across many different handsets. I don't think Apple cares if Android leads as long as Apple can still sell tons and tons of iOS devices with their high margins.

Define "high margins".

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
If Apple opened it up to "other" carriers in the US aside from just AT&T i guarantee that the numbers would be much higher in Apple's favor...But Apple will just not learn...

Your strategy wins a game Apple isn't playing. Apple keeps score by long term $$, not by number of handsets.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
Google may be 2nd - but apple's iPhone will be #1 for a long time. The only reason it is not widespread in asia is because #1: cost, #2: networks, #3: cost

People go for android devices because they have no alternative to iPhone except for the HTC/motorola products that run google's os.

When iPhone hits Verizon, you will see a HUGE SURGE in iPhone owners. They only go for the droid because #1: it's an iPhone knock off, #2: they are locked in contract with Verizon and/or will/can't jump ship.

Come back to this thread again when the Verizon iPhone deal hits. You can quote me on all of this.

Are you serious!?!?!

Expect number of various portable / handheld devices on the market by early 2011 :)

Personally I can't wait to get out of Apple's iTunes prison and BS eco-system!

Bring it Google!

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003

Perhaps Apple learned their lesson the first time and that is the reason they do what they do. Seems Apple is the success story here. By all accounts they are doing it right.

How is it you can guarantee the numbers would be much higher?

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Android is going to be the mobile market leader. It's inevitable...

I'm not so sure about that. I use an Android device, only because it is the best alternative to the iOS (I refuse to return to the cesspool that is AT&T). I don't think it is quite as advanced as people say that it is. I use the HTC EVO 4G and it gets the job done, but has lots of room for improvement and is far from the polish of iOS. I have a new touch running iOS 4, so I see it side by side frequently. Some aspects of Android almost seem like they need a total rewrite of the software. Perhaps improvement will come now that Sprint is pushing the software update again (hopefully it won't kill my phone this time).

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
"We have to let go of the notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose."

That was from 1997. Now replace Microsoft with Google.

It doesn't matter what the market share numbers are. If Apple focuses on making a product that people like and that sells well, then it will be successful no matter what percentage of the market it has.

Apple made $1.7 billion from its Mac sales last quarter. Macs make up less than 10% of the market. That doesn't mean that Apple is not wildly successful in selling computers.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
People go for android devices because they have no alternative to iPhone except for the HTC/motorola products that run google's os.
Or because:
- You can make a phone call on most Android phones without worrying about how you're holding it.
- Runs on all networks
- Is as good if not better than iPhone
- Includes turn by turn navigation (excellent BTW)
- Voice recognition anywhere you can type
- Free to run whatever apps you want

mdude85

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
which offers essentially only a single iPhone

This report measures usage of iPhones, iPod touches and iPads, so it's not one single iPhone. Plus, there are several versions of both the iPhone (1st gen, 3G, 3GS) and iPod touch (1Gen/2Gen/3Gen) , and within each version, there are different memory capacities. So I think there are quite a large variety of mobile devices that are running the iOS.

That said, there are a lot more different devices running Android than even all the conceivable different iDevices.

I'd be interested to see what happens when AdMob's June report comes out following the release of the iPhone 4.

Particularly telling about this data is that Android seems to be gaining market share directly at the expense of iOS, or so it would seem from the graphs.

weyhan

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
The first graph clearly shows that the Android OS is cannibalizing into the Symbian OS market while the iOS are keeping it's share more or less. So, unless you see the iOS line coming down, there is nothing for the Apple fanboys to worry about. :p

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Clearly Android will be past Apple and clearing off into the sunset in the not too distant future.

thank god for that....!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.