Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I find this amusing since the reality is that we are going in the opposite direction.

Subscriptions, hardware and software exclusivity, etc.

The iPad has never been cheaper, and there are plenty of quality iPad apps that don’t require a subscription. Anyone can now pick up an iPad or iPad Air plus an Apple Pencil and start drawing or recording themselves in a far less complex and intimidating environment.

This is the opposite of costly desktop hardware and applications charged at desktop-level pricing. I estimate the iPad has an install base at least twice that of Macs. Adobe would be remiss to ignore this market.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I find this amusing since the reality is that we are going in the opposite direction.

Subscriptions, hardware and software exclusivity, etc.

Anything but democratisation.
Have you looked in the app store? Many great art apps for ios.

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
What do you do for raw conversion? I’m not a fan of affinity’s processing (basic tone adjustments). Would like to use Photos, and then export to affinity. But the lack of Photos raw to tiff handling is a deal breaker.

Interesting. What don't you like about Affinity's tone processing? Is it a specific RAW file handling issue, or the tone adjustment tools are inferior to photoshop (or something)?

Im hoping to replace Photoshop with Affinity Photo, but haven't gotten that far into it yet. Still learning and some initial frustration/annoyance is how the Adjustment tools aren't destructive and live as separate pseudo layers... but that might just be my unfamiliarity.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Who wants to do text mark up on a 12.9" screen wo a 'real' mouse?

Mouse support was added in iPadOS 13 (granted the implementation was for accessibility rather than productivity).
I think Apple will eventually opening this up further with true cursor and mouse options. If they want to truly market the iPad as a Pro device, and more Adobe apps coming down the pipe, I think they'll have to.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Numbers, How can you get that? lol
If you are a seasoned pro in motion graphics, film, graphic design, print design, interactive, advertising, etc. All these industries use Adobe and the pros are very aware of that. You might find a few shops that use Affinity but I am positive they also use Adobe.
I would love serious competition for Adobe because that would benefit the users but unfortunately, Adobe has a pretty strong grasp and I don't see it changing soon.
We are talking about Photoshop here, not any of the other Adobe products that those other industries use.

Also I'd like to restate the fact that file formats standard, so use use whichever application you want and don't think you have to use Adobe products to work with Adobe file formats.

billdakelski

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
As a designer of 40 years, I used psd, ai when they did not have version numbers. Tempetd to buy a Modbook a few times but, I gave up mac tablet years ago. As far as I know psd, ai development ended. Every professional I know still uses CS6.

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
Photoshop and now Illustrator?

But.....the iPad is just a toy. It’s useless for productivity. /s
It is, to use Adobe suite anywhere near efficiency, you need 27in iMac, then a side screen for all the pallets, unless you are going to spend all your time opening and closing pallets.
A Ford can drive round a racetrack, it will never be a Ferrari.
[automerge]1572682140[/automerge]
As a designer of 40 years, I used psd, ai when they did not have version numbers. Tempetd to buy a Modbook a few times but, I gave up mac tablet years ago. As far as I know psd, ai development ended. Every professional I know still uses CS6.
Cs6? As in creative suite 6? Lol, ten years behind the curve fella...fella, we are on cs18 in our studio...

cflem

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Texas

ahaha... no they don't... thats hysterical.

Reactions: haydn!

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
Ive just reread this again!!!! Wtf!!! Psd and ai development has ended? Oh dear, what's Adobe up to these days then? That's incredible!!!! You sir have won the internet for amazing comment of the day!!!

Reactions: cflem
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.