Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Tried it and did not really like the new layout. I am sure it is a case of different not bad. This looks more like the interface of AE so that is probably a good thing. I only have the two day version so folks with a CS2 serials let us know how things work in the long term.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
OMG Finally, this is why I got my macbook. I have been using my old PC with 7 cause cs2 wouldnt run worth a damn on my macbook(512ram).

I still only have 512 MB ram and my 2 ghz core duo, and it's sooooo fast!!!! I've used it for 5 min so far and I absolutely love it. :D

I can't wait for the final version to be released, I will definately be picking this up.

Screen Shot

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Can someone confirm this? I doubt it's Cocoa. That would entail a complete rewrite of the App.

It's unlikely that Adobe would switch their code from C and C++ to Objective-C because of the skill set involved. It's more likely that it's simply a Carbon application done properly.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Answer to serial number issues!

For all those like me having issues getting a working CS3 serial from Adobe don't despair. There is a reason the download is not clearly sign posted on the Adobe labs website and that is they are not ready.

The structure for allocating new serials is not yet fully in place. Adobe will support just about every form of Photoshop CS2 serial including upgrades and education numbers. Word is just to be patient for the site to go live :)

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
For all those like me having issues getting a working CS3 serial from Adobe don't despair. There is a reason the download is not clearly sign posted on the Adobe labs website and that is they are not ready.

The structure for allocating new serials is not yet fully in place. Adobe will support just about every form of Photoshop CS2 serial including upgrades and education numbers. Word is just to be patient for the site to go live :)

Where did you learn this?

Scenicroadways

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2004
beta

you cant just enter your serial number from CS2, etc. You have to go to the beta site, enter it there, and then they will give you a CS3 serial number based on your CS2 number.

RealityCheque

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2002
Serial # "not eligible"

The PS3 beta says my CS2 serial # is "not eligible". I used the Adobe online help who said they couldn't help and gave me a 1-800 # to call. I talked to Tech Support at that # and they said they couldn't help and transferred me to Customer Service. Customer Service said because it's a beta, I have to use the online help and gave me a web site URL that returns a 'page not found' error.

Crazy!

Does anyone know what to do when a legitimate serial # doesn't work?

Thanks!

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
you cant just enter your serial number from CS2, etc. You have to go to the beta site, enter it there, and then they will give you a CS3 serial number based on your CS2 number.
:rolleyes: Yes, we know. The beta site's serial form is what's rejecting our serial numbers (as fairly clearly implied in my first post on the subject).

The PS3 beta says my CS2 serial # is "not eligible". I used the Adobe online help who said they couldn't help and gave me a 1-800 # to call. I talked to Tech Support at that # and they said they couldn't help and transferred me to Customer Service. Customer Service said because it's a beta, I have to use the online help and gave me a web site URL that returns a 'page not found' error. If you look about three posts above yours, there's a post stating that the serial number database is not fully in place yet.

Crazy!

Does anyone know what to do when a legitimate serial # doesn't work?

Thanks!

Well, you might want to wait until the beta actually goes live. I'm not sure if you noticed, but the Photoshop CS3 beta is not mentioned on Adobe Labs main page, as it is not really officially available yet. The download link going around was found by somebody, but Adobe hasn't given it out officially yet.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I'm not sure if you noticed, but the Photoshop CS3 beta is not mentioned on Adobe Labs main page, as it is not really officially available yet. The download link going around was found by somebody, but Adobe hasn't given it out officially yet.
Yeah, I thought that was curious. They said it would be available early morning Pacific time, but it's not findable on the Adobe Labs website yet. Meanwhile MR went a posted an article with a download link that works.

When I followed the MR link it asked me to login with my Adobe ID, which I did, and it brought me to a page asking to register for an account. Huh. I refreshed the page and it redirected me to the download page anyway (showing me a logged in in the corner). After I downloaded I went to the serial forum and entered my CS2 Premium Educational serial number and got a CS3 serial. So, it worked for me.

Can anyone confirm that you can rotate the canvas/background like in Painter? You know, like in traditional drawing you rotate the paper so you're more comfortable with your pencil/brush, i mean this rotating feature in Corel Painter...
What is Painter's rotate canvas feature like? Because Photoshop has always (that I've seen) had a rotate canvas option.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Where did you learn this?

Somebody posted on Adobe's official forum pages they were have serial number issues with the demo. The first reply was a link to what I assume was either one of the developer's or just a tester's blog which stated the problem and also the surprise that people had found a link to the demo.

Reading between the lines I think we can assume the demo was not meant for official release today.

dausone

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2005
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/

I dont know if its been posted yet... but here is the beta site so that you can "convert" your cs2 serial into a working cs3. But just a word of warning to those interested in using your serialz if you have em... you have to activate cs3 online or over the phone in order to use the full version that doesnt expire in 2 days. :D

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I dont know if its been posted yet... but here is the beta site so that you can "convert" your cs2 serial into a working cs3. But just a word of warning to those interested in using your serialz if you have em... you have to activate cs3 online or over the phone in order to use the full version that doesnt expire in 2 days. :D

That was posted at the bottom of the front page article that links to this thread. Not to mention discussed thoroughly in posts just preceding yours.

iPlm

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
What is Painter's rotate canvas feature like? Because Photoshop has always (that I've seen) had a rotate canvas option.

In Painter when you press Alt+Spacebar and move the mouse, you can rotate the canvas like in traditional painting and drawing, without changing anything in the image, just rotating the canvas to your view angle of choice so you can make gestures more comfortable for your hand. I think it's called Rotate Page tool. I'm not sure if I've explained it correctly, there was an article in AppleInsider which said PS CS3 would have this feature too. It's not like Rotate CW/CCW because they actually change the image (well you can switch it back to as it were but anyway), this tool only rotates your view. :)

I'm glad there's finally a Universal Photoshop even if it's a beta. Guess Adobe waited till I get a Mac to release it... :rolleyes:

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
OMG Finally, this is why I got my macbook. I have been using my old PC with 7 cause cs2 wouldnt run worth a damn on my macbook(512ram).

I still only have 512 MB ram and my 2 ghz core duo, and it's sooooo fast!!!! I've used it for 5 min so far and I absolutely love it. :D

I can't wait for the final version to be released, I will definately be picking this up.

Screen Shot
Are you using a c2d or just a cd? If you're just using a CD I have the same computer as you and I really want to know how it runs (downloading it now)

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
I thought Adobe said it could be used for 2 days without a serial number?
Just installed it and I had the option to try it for free for 30 days.
How did you do that? Mine says 2 days left. I dont have the serial number from my CS2 anymore since I sold it w/ my PowerBook.. :(
Do you have the link where you dl it from?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
How did you do that? Mine says 2 days left. I dont have the serial number from my CS2 anymore since I sold it w/ my PowerBook.. :(
Do you have the link where you dl it from?

Well now after closing the app and re-opening it a window popped up saying I had 2 days left.Weird.

When I installed it I selected the "free 30 day trial"

ely

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
The first reply was a link to what I assume was either one of the developer's or just a tester's blog which stated the problem and also the surprise that people had found a link to the demo.

I'd be surprised if they were surprised people found the demo link. I had found the CS3 page as I posted earlier, just replaced "soundbooth" with "photoshop" in a URL. I'm guessing lots of others including the digg guy later found it in a similar fashion too. I'd be more surprised that they didn't lock down pre-release web pages :)

Hooray for official release!

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
I'd be surprised if they were surprised people found the demo link. I had found the CS3 page as I posted earlier, just replaced "soundbooth" with "photoshop" in a URL. I'm guessing lots of others including the digg guy later found it in a similar fashion too. I'd be more surprised that they didn't lock down pre-release web pages :)

Hooray for official release!

Does this official release link still only let you try it our for 2 days or does it actually let you try it our for a full 30 day trial period?

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
Oooh happy day! I had expected to wait months before getting to use PS at true speeds on my Macbook... now if I could only get the random shutdowns to stop...

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
INSTALLATION QUESTION

I recieve an error saying i have to quit twain bridge, for my scanner but i don't know how to turn that off, can't install until then.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
How is this working for any of you??? We have a series of serial #s at my company and none of them are being recognized as valid, whether they're CS2 or just Photoshop CS2. So annoying.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
How is this working for any of you??? We have a series of serial #s at my company and none of them are being recognized as valid, whether they're CS2 or just Photoshop CS2. So annoying.

Have you tried since it was officially released an hour or so ago? I was having the same problem, but after the official release (and not a minute before), my serial was accepted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.