Adobe Announces Updates for Premiere Pro, After Effects, Character Animator and Audition

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018 at 6:01 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ahead of the 2018 International Broadcasting Convention that kicks off later this week, Adobe today shared details on updates that are coming to Premiere Pro, After Effects, Character Animator, and Audition.

Premiere Pro, Adobe's video editing software for professionals, is gaining new Motion Graphics templates and support for infographics created by dragging and dropping spreadsheet files into the Motion Graphics interface.

[​IMG]

New Reduce Noise and Reduce Reverb sliders have been added to the Essential Sound panel, the Lumetri color panel features Selective Color Grading tools for more precise color editing, and there's a new Timecode shortcut entry.

Other new features include support for Google VR 180, Spatial Markers for easier editing of VR content, and a Theatre Mode for working within the Adobe Immersive Environment. Performance improvements have also been included, with hardware-based encoding and decoding for H.264 and HEVC along with improved image processing.

After Effects, used by designers to create motion graphics, is gaining simplified authoring for streamlined content editing, font controls for quickly changing fonts, new selective color grading tools for Lumetri Color, and new in-app learning tools for those who are new to After Effects.

Advanced Puppet pins for the Mesh Sculpting feature let users define position, scale, and rotation for a pin, offering better control for more organic movements, while a new Javascript engine enables faster expressions and Depth Passes allows for 3D objects to be positioned in space to add dimensional elements to videos.

[​IMG]

There's a new native Mocha plug-in for After Effects, along with end-to-end support for VR 180, H.264 and HEVC video support on macOS, and performance and GPU optimizations to improve effects like Fill, Curves, Exposure, and Noise.

Audition includes new DeReverb and DeNoise effects for removing background noise and reverb with support for real-time adjustments, a revamped multitrack feature, one-click session management, and more.

[​IMG]

Character Animator is gaining the Characterizer, a feature first unveiled at Adobe Max. Characterizer lets users import art and then record words and facial expressions to generate a new, unique character, automatically creating a puppet in just a few seconds.

Character Animator is also getting Replays for reusing facial expressions and signature moves, Magnets for letting puppets interact with objects, improved walk behavior, and a squashiness parameter for the physics behaviors.

[​IMG]

Full details on all of the new features coming to Adobe's Premiere Pro, After Effects, Character Animator, and Audition software can be found on Adobe's website.

Adobe plans to roll out these Creative Cloud updates later in 2018.

Article Link: Adobe Announces Updates for Premiere Pro, After Effects, Character Animator and Audition

2. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Random thought I just had: the Pixelmator app is an interesting competitor to Photoshop. I wonder what the Pixelmator team would do with a video app? Just curious.

3. wubsylol macrumors 6502

Pixelmator is a fantastic app - Pixelmator Pro as well - but Photoshop is still way ahead feature-wise. The way Creative Suite app work together here is king, and there just isn't a non-Adobe alternative that measures up. Affinity, even, is great, but it's not the Creative Suite.

4. kohlson macrumors 68000

Nice to see that they're continuing to make improvements to the CC suite. I'm not a subscription fan, though, hopefully, this will spur new features in both Resolve and FCPX.

5. bhodinut macrumors member

bhodinut

Adobe removed multi-core support from After Effects back in CS6 and hasn't replaced it with a "better" version. I'm getting tired of waiting.

6. ChrisMoBro, Sep 12, 2018 at 6:43 AM
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018 at 6:49 AM

ChrisMoBro macrumors regular

ChrisMoBro

I’d rather they just brought back multicore processing to After Effects. Instead, we get GPU accelerated functionality added to the Fill effect

7. martyjmclean macrumors regular

martyjmclean

Adobe need less of this and more getting rid of the subscription and re-engineering their entire line from the ground up. Adobe will never beat Avid as the industry standard when they’re overcharging for buggy and inconsistent software that has no backwards compatibility.

8. cfurlin macrumors regular

cfurlin

Pixelmator was my favorite photo app until I discovered Affinity Photo. Before I used Pixelmator and PS equally, but with AP I find myself using Photoshop less and less in favor of it.

9. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

Subscription never bothered me, especially as it comes out to paying less than the old model of buy software every few years to get new features. But I do agree with it being time for Adobe to completely re engineer their products, but that would be such a huge undertaking it wouldn't be practical, I would settle for a truly unified UX though.

10. dcingie macrumors newbie

You know it's fancy cuz it has an unnecessary "e" at the end of premier

11. jakeowens macrumors member

Yeah. After effects keeps getting minor additions that don't fix the overall problem is that it's incredibly slow and doesn't support multi-core. They really need to add speed so you can comp 4k. So far you can't even playback 4k comps and I'm working on an iMac Pro.

12. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Adobe lost me when they went to a subscription model.
    Older versions are still working great even on PPC hardware using droplets.

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I hope they fixed the endless bugs in Premiere. Stinks that they haven't brought back multicore support too. I've had to switch my team over to Final Cut Pro for the past few weeks since Premiere's audio bug was kicking out master files with no audio.

not to mention the performance was just abysmal. Almost 6 hours to render out a 2 hour, 4k project isn't so bad, until you watch FCPX do it in 2.

14. Michael Scrip, Sep 12, 2018 at 9:45 AM
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018 at 10:59 AM

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

So wait... we've had quad-core processors for a decade... and dual-core processors longer than that...

And After Effects only uses one core?

:confused::eek:

15. EiriasEmrys, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:27 AM
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018 at 12:06 PM

EiriasEmrys macrumors member

Seriously, this. I have submitted so many feature requests for both Premier and AE to actually utilize all available cores on preview. Watching Activity Monitor on a AE preview is sickening when you have a workstation capable of so much more. Resolve is becoming a better solution for many of us, especially with the inclusion of Fusion and real-time gpu accelerated compositing with no round-tripping.

16. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

The problem is that with every update, you run the risk of Premiere gaining new bugs and instability issues. So if you happen to be running a version of Premiere which happens to be stable enough for you, chances are you will want to avoid updating for as long as possible. I have lost days trying to reinstall old versions of Premiere and trying to figure out why it isn't working because I installed a new version that turned out to be buggy. I have learnt to follow this simple rule: never update unless your current version isn't working.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:35 AM ---
    That is the correct spelling actually. "Premiere". It's a real English word, which comes from the French word, "Première". It means "the first showing of a film."

17. fuchsdh macrumors 65816

fuchsdh

Yeah I'm getting my feet wet in Resolve now. While After Effects has gotten better (remember when you couldn't even do realtime playback of SD footage four years ago?) the fact that it's still so single-threaded means that any new shiny and expensive hardware you throw at it is largely wasted. If nothing else adding Resolve to my workflow could allow me to shortcut it every so often.