Adobe Bringing Full Version of Photoshop CC to iPad in 2019

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 15, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At its annual Adobe Max conference, Adobe announced plans to bring a complete version of Photoshop to the iPad in 2019.

Photoshop CC for iPad will feature a revamped interface designed specifically for a touch experience, but it will bring the power and functionality people are accustomed to on the desktop.

[​IMG]

Photoshop users will be able to open and edit native PSD files right on the iPad using standard Photoshop image editing tools, including support for layers. Photoshop on iPad will look similar to Photoshop on the desktop, with all of the same toolbar options.

The iPad version of the app will allow projects started on the iPad to be transitioned seamlessly to the desktop and vice versa. According to Adobe, Photoshop for iPad uses the same code base as its desktop counterpart with no compromises on power, performance, or editing results.

At Max, Adobe also unveiled Project Gemini, a new cross-platform drawing app that's coming to the iPad in 2019. Project Gemini is designed to simplify drawing and painting workflows with simple cross-device support.

[​IMG]

The new app combines raster, vector, and dynamic brushes into one single experience that's ideal for drawing, and content created using Project Gemini will sync to Photoshop.

Project Gemini will be available first on iPad but Adobe plans to expand it to other devices in the future. Additional information on Photoshop CC for iPad and Project Gemini is available from Adobe's website.

Article Link: Adobe Bringing Full Version of Photoshop CC to iPad in 2019

2. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I think this speaks to how far the A-series chip has come. It really is starting to rival desktop in terms of raw power.

3. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Both very exciting steps forward for Adobe, it’ll be interesting to see this in action later this month.

4. R10k macrumors member

A good move after getting schooled by Serif on iPad. Unfortunately, everything will no doubt be linked to the Adobe cloud and like Lightroom CC mobile, it’ll be half impossible to move things from one device to another without using it.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Hope the new iPad has a USB-C to connect external drives.

6. kasakka macrumors 68020

Photoshop is a bag of **** codewise considering how many UI inconsistencies and issues it has. Adobe Gripes on Tumblr is a good read if you want to see some crazy stuff that should not be a thing in expensive professional apps. So with that background I don't have very high hopes for Photoshop on the iPad if it uses the same codebase.

7. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

By extension, I'd be curious if/when Apple will ship a full version of Xcode to the iPad?

8. YaBe macrumors 6502

YaBe

Good news, but moved to Serif last year, not interested ;)

Their Affinity line is amazing!

9. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

This is great news, but, can we at least get:
    • Decent file system
    • A version of Safari that can open in desktop view and handle desktop like environments i.e. managing a squarespace website
    • Opening multiple emails side by side
    Yes Apple, i’m looking at you.

10. tromboneaholic macrumors 68030

tromboneaholic

Hopefully this means better support for Metal on the Mac.

11. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

Now that’s some cheese for a lot of whiners!

12. fokmik macrumors 68030

Now they need an event to announce this to the world

13. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Or at least, Affinity Photo showed what could be done on an iPad. I see no reason to move away from that (FAR more affordable and great for my needs, and still has great cross platform compatibility with my Mac). But it's great to see Adobe finally recognizing there should be a fully functional version for the iPad- after even the cheap iPad has Pencil support and is much more powerful than professional grade desktops were with Photoshop a few years ago.

14. loveandhavefun macrumors member

loveandhavefun

15. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Cool to see Adobe doing this, indicates the maturity in the iPad market.

16. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

For people developing for iOS I'd expect that would be doable (with a fair bit of work). For MacOS development though they'd have to emulate x86 to allow debug.

17. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

The barrier has mainly been the RAM levels and Adobe's financial interest in making it happen. 8 GB RAM has been the "recommended" RAM level for Photoshop for awhile now, which means it won't run all that well below that. I think this year's iPads will probably get up into the 6-8 GB RAM area since the iPhones are all 3-4 GB RAM now.

18. Brammy macrumors 65816

19. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

+1 to the Affinity group. It took Adobe too long to bring a full version of PS to the iPad. Better late then never I suppose.

20. freediverx macrumors 6502a

Will the iPad version be as slow and bloated as the desktop version?

21. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

FaceID with 3GB of RAM was slow for my taste, with 4GB it has been goldilocks

I suspect the iPad Pro to have a minimum 6GB RAM, the question remains was it the silicone or RAM that attributed to FaceIDs speed.

22. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

A solid addition, but a little late for my household. My fiancee is a graphic designer and uses Affinity products now and has nothing but praise for them. This will certainly continue to make the iPad more of a productivity machine for a lot of people though, apps just need to come. My guess is Apple has some big first party apps coming in 2019.

23. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

If Adobe hadn't switched to a subscription model, my wife would love this for her iPad Pro. As it is, she still just uses CS6 on her Mac.

24. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Have her give the Affinity apps a try, my fiancee loves them, and uses them on her iPad and Mac. No reason for her to go back to Adobe.

25. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

Next step Final Cut Pro X on the iPad Pro please!