Adobe Illustrator and InDesign Not Working Properly with macOS High Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Adobe this week recommended customers using its Illustrator and InDesign software hold off from updating to the new macOS High Sierra operating system. Illustrator and InDesign have not been updated for High Sierra and there are some incompatibility issues that prevent the apps from working properly.

With Illustrator, users are seeing errors after upgrading to the new Apple File System. Illustrator pops up errors during installation, and, for already-installed software, there are problems with launching the app, opening a file, and creating a document. A separate problem leads to color management issues, while a third affects the rendering of Brushes, Live Corner widgets, and more.

[​IMG]

While there are workarounds for the GPU issues in Illustrator, there is no fix for the problem with APFS. Adobe says its engineers are working on a complete solution for a future Illustrator CC update.

As for InDesign, the cursor appears as a pixelated box, also a problem with no current solution. Adobe engineers are working on a fix to correct the problem as soon as possible.

Adobe recommends customers test their software on a non-production partition to make sure the update is compatible with current hardware and drivers before committing to a macOS High Sierra install. The company also says customers may wish to remain on an older version of macOS until the issues are addressed in updates.

Following the release of a new Mac update, there are often problems with software for a few weeks as developers work to add in support for new features and address incompatibilities.

For other apps that have issues, take a look at our forums, where MacRumors readers have compiled a comprehensive list of apps that have bugs or are incompatible with the macOS High Sierra update.

Other major apps that don't work properly right now include Autodesk AutoCAD 2017, Civilization V, DiskWarrior 5.0, Ulysses 3, 2Do, and Transmit Version 5, among others.

Also of note, Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 is no longer being updated and is not compatible with macOS High Sierra. Microsoft does not plan to add support for the High Sierra update.

Article Link: Adobe Illustrator and InDesign Not Working Properly with macOS High Sierra

2. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

Developer's have 3 months to test and get the software ready and its never enough that when its ready for prime time they have issues what do they do for 3 months when its in beta?!?

3. mudflap macrumors regular

mudflap

Once again Adobe has no excuse. They had access to the High Sierra betas just like any other developer, for months. They could've had all their apps ready to go the day 10.13 was released. But no. Because Adobe.

4. nrose101 macrumors regular

nrose101

100% agree this is all Adobe's issue. Not really that surprising since most of their software is buggy as hell and they never take time for quality control.

5. tliede20 macrumors regular

Agreed, I know that there are some changes that are made in the backend of the OS through BETA, but it's like DAMN do you not already have a team to work on that?

6. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

7. now i see it macrumors 65816

Same old story. Same as Snow Leopard first release & photoshop. Deja vu

8. jonathanbruce macrumors member

Exactly!!! Well Said!!
    Especially since Adobe are now starting to rip us off with the cost of the subscription packages now! Already pissed me off twice and unfortunately i NEED inDesign to work so i'll be at their throats on Monday morning.

9. glhaynes macrumors member

And the APFS writing has been on the wall for over two years.

10. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

I, on the other hand, recommend users update to High Sierra and find some non-Adobe graphics software to use. Permanently. But that's just me.

11. Tom at No Other Name macrumors newbie

I agree with the previous posters. Adobe has been saying this was Apple's problem, but developers know far in advance when a release is coming, so I believe Adobe dropped the ball on this.

And we were told the subscription business model was to speed up the release of patches, fixes, etc. Still waiting.

12. atikalz macrumors regular

atikalz

Not working in the design or advertising industry?

13. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

CC Illustrator latest updated version is working for me but I don't know about InDesign it definitely seems to have problems...

14. atikalz macrumors regular

atikalz

Adobe always points in other directions when it comes to bugs. They are arrogant and don't listen to their paying customers posting in their help forum. Takes always months even with major workflow killing bugs.

So looking forward to they day I cancel my adobe subscription.

15. kissmo macrumors 6502a

Photoshop has issues as well with NIK Collection and that it does not see APFS volumes and it's impossible to set up a Scratch Disk unless you have an external HFS.
    P.S. Nik Collection works fine - except as a plug-in in PS when you try to apply the effect to a new layer - PS crashes without any message.

16. ParanoidDroid macrumors 6502

ParanoidDroid

I suppose Adobe won't fix the CS6 version... this is the end. :(

17. atikalz, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

atikalz macrumors regular

atikalz

And Wacom, the other loser company when it comes to drivers and bugfixing, also can't get their software to work with latest macOS versions. They even don't have fixed the Sierra introduced bugs. With high Sierra they say, their tablets won't work anymore. Shame shame shame.

18. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

If only Apple somehow had a program where people were able to try, test, and verify software before general release, poor Adobe and the starving children there wouldn't be in this position. And if Apple did have such a program... well, heck, that would mean Adobe's just plain incompetent if they didn't take advantage of such an opportunity.

19. weup togo macrumors regular

Apple shares equal blame. They used to care about ensuring app compatibility with new releases. It's a shame, really.

20. LinkinJunior macrumors member

LinkinJunior

Anyone recommend an illustrator alternative?

21. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Isn’t this why we pay the heavy price for their subscription? So we will always have the latest and greatest.

Apple have been talking about APFS for a long time! Long before this WWDC.

And Adobe currently has NO solution? **** them. I’m so happy I’m done with academia so I don’t need illustrator anymore. And my private need for photoshop has been replaced with pixelmator, macphun luminar etc.

22. jonathanbruce macrumors member

Anyone recommend a good alternative to Indesign ?

23. allanfries macrumors 6502a

allanfries

Been using Photoshop CS6 since Mavericks and was a bit concerned if it would still work after High Sierra install. But all is well and it has been performing good. So far.

24. az431 macrumors regular

That means that MacRumors is equally to blame for your baseless and illogical post.

25. johannnn, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn