Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Maybe if the subscription was $1.99.. but hell no at $99.00. I hate the way software is going today.. the internet killed software.. everything is in app purchase this or subscription that :(

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I really hope that Adobe has been losing money since they moved to a dumb subscription model.

From Adobe's Q42013 investor conference call:

In Q4 we delivered revenue of $1.04 billion, contributing to total revenue of more than $4 billion in FY13.

In Digital Media, we continued to make great progress with our Creative Cloud service. As of the end of Q4, Creative Cloud adoption grew to over 1.4 million subscriptions, exceeding our original target of 1.25 million for the year.

So, I'd say no, they're not losing money. For me, as a design professional, CC has been great, but I can fully understand it's a difficult choice for someone who likes to occasionally dabble in design/graphics/video. You'd be better off using non-Adobe software in those cases, I think.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Boycott Adobe

Simple, don't buy their products and service until this crap is over with.

I'm still using CS3 and CS6, it's more than good enough.

Soon my CS4 & CS5 will be worth lot of money for resale.:D

HAudidoody

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2013
From Adobe's Q42013 investor conference call:

So, I'd say no, they're not losing money.

Actually, Adobe's subscription sales have not kept pace with declines in software sales and they've been forced to respond with higher expenditures on sales and marketing.

We saw this in the drop in fourth quarter yoy revenue and the collapse in profit. So no, things aren't going so well for them.

tvh13

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Wow!!!

that's bad.

The pile on plan - Don't like our crappy subscription model? Here have some more subscription model at a worse price and on an inherently limited platform.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Actually, Adobe's subscription sales have not kept pace with declines in software sales and they've been forced to respond with higher expenditures on sales and marketing.

We saw this in the drop in fourth quarter yoy revenue and the collapse in profit. So no, things aren't going so well for them.

That's a shame, then. From a business perspective, CC has a lot to offer. Perhaps Adobe has relied too long on sales to non-professionals. If that's the case, then now's as good a time as any to rip off the band-aid.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seems a bit odd.

1) iPad screens are good but no where near where they need to be for accurate color and lighting correction. So I can't see a pro ponying up $99 a year for something that doesn't really add value to workflow.

2) $99 a year for casual users is absurd given that there are similar apps for considerably last.

If this article is true I'm not sure what is rattling around in Adobe's head. I could see it as a "bonus" for Lightroom users but don't really see the value here for $99/year or even $99 for "life."

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
When Adobe went to a subscription model they pretty much screwed just about every CS/Lr user that doesn't make money from their product.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Seems a bit odd.

1) iPad screens are good but no where near where they need to be for accurate color and lighting correction. So I can't see a pro ponying up $99 a year for something that doesn't really add value to workflow.

This is where the rumored 13 inch "iPad Pro" comes in. If it's a killer screen that allows hardware calibration (which it should if it's really "pro", right?), it could be a killer Lightroom field editing machine. Maybe not a replacement for the desktop, but you could do a lot with proxy files.

sexiewasd

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Back in Your Head
I was very satisfied with my adobe cloud subscription while I had it. A lot of people don't like it, but to me it is clearly the right move for Adobe, and I applaud them for trying their hardest to bring powerful and useful software into the iOS ecosystem. That is a very difficult goal to achieve so long as Apple treats iOS as a toy OS. I will give Apple credit though. iOS 7 brought a lot to the table with UIDynamics. That was a huge move in the right direction :) , but the memory and storage limitations are still something that is hindering the progress of the system as a whole. Their used to be a lot of talk about the post PC era, but it's clear that their is still a long ways to go. I have faith in Ives to push the system to it's edges, but Apple's marketing structure will have to be shaken up quite a lot if they are to succeed. The recent (probably too early too call) failure of the iOS controllers is probably an indicator of the struggles within Apple that will need to be resolved before they can overtake the progress that Android has enjoyed. Apple needs to understand, and accept that third parties need to be allowed to succeed and fail on their own merits within their ecosystem, and that their software ecosystem, and reputation can be separated from the shortcomings of third party players. That isn't to say that Apple will have no part, it is their duty to set an example, to set the bar high, and to service the community with excellent API and exceptional hardware. I don't believe that Apple will be able to achieve that unless they are willing to push them selves and compete on an even battle field within their own system with third party developers. Apple needs to separate its apps from the OS and compete in the App Store to for example bring Garage Band head to head with the best that Avid can do. If the Garage Band team is a separated entity without unfair footing, then it will be push to the limits of the system in order to succeed, and will in turn push the system as a whole ahead of the competition. If you have managed to read this entire wall of mostly off topic text then I would be thankful for any feedback/criticism.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
So I can buy the full light room for a $160 (or $80 student pricing) one time payment. Or I can rent the iToy version for $100 for a year?

Wow, someone at Adobe sure has a sense of humor. I hope they find the prankster who issued the press release.

So I can buy the full light room for a $160 (or $80 student pricing) one time payment. Or I can rent the iToy version for $100 for a year?

Wow, someone at Adobe sure has a sense of humor. I hope they find the prankster who issued the press release.

Seems like some marketing genii from Adobe decided to "milk the rich people"...
Hey Adobe, what about trying to attach a wooden grip and sell it for, jeeez,... I don't know... 100.000 bucks?

Renzatic

Suspended
This is where the rumored 13 inch "iPad Pro" comes in. If it's a killer screen that allows hardware calibration (which it should if it's really "pro", right?), it could be a killer Lightroom field editing machine. Maybe not a replacement for the desktop, but you could do a lot with proxy files.

Since the iPad 3, their screens have been able to cover almost the entire sRGB spectrum. That'd make it a perfectly fine choice for just about everything besides print magazines, which seemingly lives and dies by AdobeRGB (because they use CMYK?).

Unless you're working with pictures that get into some deep, deep reds and violets, the 10" iPad screens would work about as well as a Thunderbolt display for color and contrast.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If it's sporting the same functionality as the Mac/PC version of Lightroom, then it being "simply" an iPad app shouldn't make any difference on the price. If it does the job, it does the job, no matter what platform its on.

...though admittedly, I'm still not completely cool with subscription based software.

Is the iPad capable of running it efficiently?

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
what seems to be left unsaid is how apple dropped the ball with this. they were the first to market with what was then a great image management / editing suite with Aperture, and they've let Adobe outpace them and become the de facto leader in the space. there was a time i would have given my right arm in defense of aperture over lightroom, but we've been on version 3 for about 3 years this coming Rebruary...and despite the incremental updates, they haven't kept pace. Worse, they've come across as being disinterested in the professional photo software space, which as a user, only forced me to move over to lightroom out of fear Aperture would completely lose Apple's support at some point.

Probably would have loved an Aperture companion app for iPad a couple of years ago..even if the screen is only good enough to edit my synced photostream photos from my iPhone and I was still forced to do the heavy lifting on my mac mini or mbpro for other photos. But not any more.

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
I was very satisfied with my adobe cloud subscription while I had it. A lot of people don't like it, but to me it is clearly the right move for Adobe, and I applaud them for trying their hardest to bring powerful and useful software into the iOS ecosystem. That is a very difficult goal to achieve so long as Apple treats iOS as a toy OS. I will give Apple credit though. iOS 7 brought a lot to the table with UIDynamics. That was a huge move in the right direction :) , but the memory and storage limitations are still something that is hindering the progress of the system as a whole. Their used to be a lot of talk about the post PC era, but it's clear that their is still a long ways to go. I have faith in Ives to push the system to it's edges, but Apple's marketing structure will have to be shaken up quite a lot if they are to succeed. The recent (probably too early too call) failure of the iOS controllers is probably an indicator of the struggles within Apple that will need to be resolved before they can overtake the progress that Android has enjoyed. Apple needs to understand, and accept that third parties need to be allowed to succeed and fail on their own merits within their ecosystem, and that their software ecosystem, and reputation can be separated from the shortcomings of third party players. That isn't to say that Apple will have no part, it is their duty to set an example, to set the bar high, and to service the community with excellent API and exceptional hardware. I don't believe that Apple will be able to achieve that unless they are willing to push them selves and compete on an even battle field within their own system with third party developers. Apple needs to separate its apps from the OS and compete in the App Store to for example bring Garage Band head to head with the best that Avid can do. If the Garage Band team is a separated entity without unfair footing, then it will be push to the limits of the system in order to succeed, and will in turn push the system as a whole ahead of the competition. If you have managed to read this entire wall of mostly off topic text then I would be thankful for any feedback/criticism.

perhaps i'm missing something, but I thought we were talking about Adobe products here.

Renzatic

Suspended
Is the iPad capable of running it efficiently?

They might have to limit the level of undo's and/or layers (and maybe max image resolution) to keep it working within a 1GB limit, but the Airs at least would be able to chew through most of what Lightroom has to offer without any problems.

Lightroom hardly needs a Mac Pro level machine to do its thing, and the A7 is a pretty speedy little processor. I think it could be a good fit for the iPad.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Since the iPad 3, their screens have been able to cover almost the entire sRGB spectrum. That'd make it a perfectly fine choice for just about everything besides print magazines, which seemingly lives and dies by AdobeRGB (because they use CMYK?).

Unless you're working with pictures that get into some deep, deep reds and violets, the 10" iPad screens would work about as well as a Thunderbolt display for color and contrast.
I agree the iPad retina screens are already very good. But they really need to allow them to be calibrated, preferably with USB hardware calibrators. In my experience they aren't bad out of the box, but it's arbitrary, if you are doing serious photo editing you want your own calibration. For one thing, you may want to calibrate for specific lighting conditions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.