Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its annual Adobe Max conference, Adobe announced plans to bring a complete version of Photoshop to the iPad in 2019.

Photoshop CC for iPad will feature a revamped interface designed specifically for a touch experience, but it will bring the power and functionality people are accustomed to on the desktop.

adobephotoshopipad-800x486.jpg

Photoshop users will be able to open and edit native PSD files right on the iPad using standard Photoshop image editing tools, including support for layers. Photoshop on iPad will look similar to Photoshop on the desktop, with all of the same toolbar options.

The iPad version of the app will allow projects started on the iPad to be transitioned seamlessly to the desktop and vice versa. According to Adobe, Photoshop for iPad uses the same code base as its desktop counterpart with no compromises on power, performance, or editing results.

At Max, Adobe also unveiled Project Gemini, a new cross-platform drawing app that's coming to the iPad in 2019. Project Gemini is designed to simplify drawing and painting workflows with simple cross-device support.

adobegemini-800x719.jpg

The new app combines raster, vector, and dynamic brushes into one single experience that's ideal for drawing, and content created using Project Gemini will sync to Photoshop.

Project Gemini will be available first on iPad but Adobe plans to expand it to other devices in the future. Additional information on Photoshop CC for iPad and Project Gemini is available from Adobe's website.

Article Link: Adobe Bringing Full Version of Photoshop CC to iPad in 2019

Reactions: RJ_Online93

R10k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
A good move after getting schooled by Serif on iPad. Unfortunately, everything will no doubt be linked to the Adobe cloud and like Lightroom CC mobile, it’ll be half impossible to move things from one device to another without using it.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Photoshop is a bag of **** codewise considering how many UI inconsistencies and issues it has. Adobe Gripes on Tumblr is a good read if you want to see some crazy stuff that should not be a thing in expensive professional apps. So with that background I don't have very high hopes for Photoshop on the iPad if it uses the same codebase.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
This is great news, but, can we at least get:
  • Decent file system
  • A version of Safari that can open in desktop view and handle desktop like environments i.e. managing a squarespace website
  • Opening multiple emails side by side
Yes Apple, i’m looking at you.

Reactions: Sandstorm

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Or at least, Affinity Photo showed what could be done on an iPad. I see no reason to move away from that (FAR more affordable and great for my needs, and still has great cross platform compatibility with my Mac). But it's great to see Adobe finally recognizing there should be a fully functional version for the iPad- after even the cheap iPad has Pencil support and is much more powerful than professional grade desktops were with Photoshop a few years ago.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
I think this speaks to how far the A-series chip has come. It really is starting to rival desktop in terms of raw power.

The barrier has mainly been the RAM levels and Adobe's financial interest in making it happen. 8 GB RAM has been the "recommended" RAM level for Photoshop for awhile now, which means it won't run all that well below that. I think this year's iPads will probably get up into the 6-8 GB RAM area since the iPhones are all 3-4 GB RAM now.

Reactions: thisisnotmyname

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Or at least, Affinity Photo showed what could be done on an iPad. I see no reason to move away from that (FAR more affordable and great for my needs, and still has great cross platform compatibility with my Mac). But it's great to see Adobe finally recognizing there should be a fully functional version for the iPad- after even the cheap iPad has Pencil support and is much more powerful than professional grade desktops were with Photoshop a few years ago.

+1 to the Affinity group. It took Adobe too long to bring a full version of PS to the iPad. Better late then never I suppose.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The barrier has mainly been the RAM levels and Adobe's financial interest in making it happen. 8 GB RAM has been the "recommended" RAM level for Photoshop for awhile now, which means it won't run all that well below that. I think this year's iPads will probably get up into the 6-8 GB RAM area since the iPhones are all 3-4 GB RAM now.

FaceID with 3GB of RAM was slow for my taste, with 4GB it has been goldilocks

I suspect the iPad Pro to have a minimum 6GB RAM, the question remains was it the silicone or RAM that attributed to FaceIDs speed.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
A solid addition, but a little late for my household. My fiancee is a graphic designer and uses Affinity products now and has nothing but praise for them. This will certainly continue to make the iPad more of a productivity machine for a lot of people though, apps just need to come. My guess is Apple has some big first party apps coming in 2019.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.